Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

I assume the reason they're not using the monitors as in the WC because if I remember correctly people were moaning it's taking too long but it seems to be taking even longer now.

4 hours ago, bmt said:

The whole segment is ridiculous. He obviously just supports the referee on every decision. The guests are the only ones who say anything sensible

The guests today were ex- Liverpool player Stephen Warnock & the Ex -England women's player Sue Smith ( I think that's her name) , after Dermott had waffled on about why we didn't get a penalty , both guests replied " penalty 100 %". As for the Edison challenge Warnock said " anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul ".  So you're right, the guests are the only ones who speak sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LCFCSOULBOY said:

INCIDENT: Ederson and Kalechi Iheanacho compete for a cross into the Manchester City box. Ederson gets a nick on the ball before the Leicester forward but catches him with his follow-through, leaving him needing treatment.

Should David Coote have sat out the Manchester City game?

DERMOT'S VERDICT: "I just think this is inevitable there's going to be a clash. When you see the ball come in, they've both got their eyes on the ball. It actually hits Iheanacho on the shoulder, and as they both jump for it it's inevitable they will collide."

The guys a complete kn*bhead. Makes no sense to me at all. So if a defender slices straight through an attacker taking him completely out without getting the ball in the box, the ref should see no reason to award a penalty because it's inevitable that they were going to collide. They are becoming Politicians thinking we cannot see for ourselves the reality in front of us. Next they will tell us not to believe what we have just witnessed.

So when an attacker knocks the ball past the player and he’s then brought down due to inevitable contact, no penalty right? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

Premier League wont allow them. 

As I've posted either in this thread or another one I'm lucky to know someone who helped implement VAR. The PL are being little bitches about the way they use it also they dont use every camera angle available to them. Also they're blocking officials using the on field cameras for now. 

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Whoever is in charge needs to be investigated by FIFA and fined heavily for misuse of the VAR system.

Why is it in this country we seem to have a "we know best" attitude and try our utmost to "do things our way"?

Every incident which is reviewed by VAR should be forwarded for scrutiny by the on-the-field referee to make the final decision via the screens.

Worked perfectly well enough at the World Cup yet here we make a complete shambles of it.

As you say ash, it’s the PL who are reticent .... I can only assume that they’ve had advice from their marketing  people that the pace of the game cannot be compromised ..... tbh, to the masses overseas, they aren’t that bothered about correct decisions - they just want to see stuff going on at a faster pace than they generally see in Italy and Spain. 

15 minutes ago, TOMMYG said:

The guests today were ex- Liverpool player Stephen Warnock & the Ex -England women's player Sue Smith ( I think that's her name) , after Dermott had waffled on about why we didn't get a penalty , both guests replied " penalty 100 %". As for the Edison challenge Warnock said " anywhere else on the pitch that's a foul ".  So you're right, the guests are the only ones who speak sense.

I actually quite like Warnock, he’s ridiculously biased for Liverpool but then makes a joke when he realises he’s being biased. Always seems to hold the same opinion as most fans on the others. The England woman’s player is decent and consistent too. 

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Ive read online that he’s actually employed by the PGMOL which would explain a lot.

I’ve thought this before. He’s asked for an opinion but usually just offers the rulebook answer even when it’s clearly ridiculous.

3 hours ago, Sammy said:

If De Bruyne really wanted to protect his face why didn't he get out of the way (like he actually did) and let the ball go through the wall and in to the goal?

The irony being his arms weren't actually in line with his face and the direction of the ball. 

It's a penalty every day of the week. And we all know it.

The fact they didn't even review it, then gave a very similar penalty the other way, and then made excuses for their decision that aren't even consistent with the laws of the game only highlights the inconsistency and incompetence of the VAR official.

Silly Coote!

• Like 1

All 3 major decisions went Man City way. 

We're not currently getting many decisions in our favour( Wolves appart) 

Burnley, Villa, Chelsea and Saturday. 

All handball incidents that, on another day, could have gone in our favour and put us comfortably in the CL spots. 

Hope our luck will change a bit🤞

• Like 1

For the good of the game it has to go. It will ruin football as we know it. When it takes 2-3 minutes for some clown in a room miles from the game to find a big toe offside in the build up to a goal, or just ridiculous inconsistencies with the person at the VAR room, that’s just not the game we all enjoy. 

The on field refs and linesmen make mistakes but at least that is done in an instant and the game flows, VAR make the same mistakes and it stops the game. Let’s just accept that some decisions go for a team and some against and it balances out over a season and have proper football back please! 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bmt said:

Agreed. IMO there needs to be some form of anti VAR action by the fans of all Premier League clubs. The loudest chants every week are the '**** VAR' chants, but still nobody listens. Anybody got any ideas?

In 11 matches time , the last game of the season , all PL matches will be played at the same time. To my mind that's an ideal time for the fans of all PL clubs to make their feelings re VAR known.  Surely there are enough vociferous fans groups who are fully across social media,  who could get something organized at all the matches at the same time .  Off the top of my head how about holding up a big red card just before the teams run out if we want to get rid of it altogether?  With the appropriate chant of course!

If the Premier League gave a toss about what the fans thought about VAR it could work.  Problem is I don't think they care what we think, even though the game we love has been ruined this season through the heavy handed application of a system that should have been an aid to the game. Instead we have been subjected to painfully slow and blatantly inconsistent decisions that have taken us backward and continue to get worse week by week.

Rant over, thanks for listening, I feel a bit better now. 

• Like 1

The problem with a mass demonstration against VAR is exactly that.  It's the people running it that need to be made accountable, not VAR itself which is how it's likely to come across if we take a swipe enmass at VAR.

A measured response is needed from supporters clubs across the PL.  Answers are needed, questions need to be posed.  

We're not getting a fair system, we need to pressure them into an intelligent response, if that is possible.

Ive re thought this... we need an INTERNATIONAL VAR.

The ref does their job on the park
Stockley Park reviews their decisions
Geneva VAR review the Stockley decisions,

You know, so weve got the experts working on it and... just to be sure. :whistle:

21 hours ago, bmt said:

But to be fair Man City are the only ‘City’ with another premier league club in the city, so them using city and United using United makes sense.

I just don’t understand why people care 

When it's clear your talking about Manchester, 'City' and 'United' is fine.    As is 'United' and 'Wednesday' for Sheffield, and 'City' and 'Rovers' for Bristol.   In other contexts, it's not so clear.   It's lazy, disrespectful and can be ambiguous.

Why do people care?  Well, if you're lazy and sloppy, you start making mistakes.   And even offending people.   So it's a good principle to report things in an accurate way.

And what's the issue if one club tries to expropriate a name for itself?   Well ... it breeds contempt, and they think they can do other things.   Like try and grab all the TV money, or set up breakaway leagues, and other naughty things

So yeah, I think it matters.   But I accept it's not life threatening.   But then most things in life aren't really that important, but we get steamed up over lots of things.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hollyfox said:

All 3 major decisions went Man City way. 

We're not currently getting many decisions in our favour( Wolves appart) 

Burnley, Villa, Chelsea and Saturday. 

All handball incidents that, on another day, could have gone in our favour and put us comfortably in the CL spots. 

Hope our luck will change a bit🤞

Even against Wolves Maddison should have got a penalty after he got bundled over with a massive amount of contact!! Was that even reviewed? Whole system is a joke!

• Like 1

VAR isn't the problem.

The technology is working as intended, right? I.e within seconds all officials have access to all the footage and replays. (Villa handball aside, as suspicion is they looked at the wrong incident). 

The problem is the implementation. All it's done is highlight the dearth of experience and competence available among the officials. 

2 simple changes: 

• Get rid of the 'clear and obvious' approach - just simply make the right decision, based on the footage available, regardless of who makes it. 
  • But also encourage use of monitor by on field referee, in those cases that are more subjective. 
  • Like 4

It seems to me that Dermot is there to support the party line whatever the evidence.  Rather than agreeing or disagreeing he usually tries to explain why the referee came to a particular decision or make some excuse such as being unsighted if he gets it wrong.  He knew he was talking bollocks about the KDB handball, you could tell by the wry smile on his face when everyone else said it was 100% a penalty.