Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

3 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Nah, someone who’s favourite position is missionary would be precise and correct with their decision making in a smugly confident way.

Var is dreamt up by a virgin who’s skimmed through the Kamasutra then tries to fumble through as many of the 64 positions as possible in his two minutes of premature humping.

and ends up with anal

• Haha 1

Without writing war and peace one of the following needs to happen.

1. VAR outdates the rules of the game, if VAR is to stay then the rule book needs amending, as at the moment pretty much every goal is being chalked off.

2. VAR needs to go, it’s being used far too much and is disrupting the game, that hand ball decision was laughable and yet again it highlights how pathetic the game has gone. 

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

Without writing war and peace one of the following needs to happen.

1. VAR outdates the rules of the game, if VAR is to stay then the rule book needs amending, as at the moment pretty much every goal is being chalked off.

2. VAR needs to go, it’s being used far too much and is disrupting the game, that hand ball decision was laughable and yet again it highlights how pathetic the game has gone. 

Implement when it is used differently,

I believe VAR can be good for the game but is used incorrectly.

Clear and obvious to means that it has been seen by a player or players &/or officials, but has been missed by the referee for whatever reason.

Use a challenge system whereby the captain can call one VAR per half (carried over if correct) or the referee can call VAR if he genuinely believes that he is unsure of a major decision to make.

After all, if no players on the pitch see it and complain to their captain, no officials see it and after the game there appears to be a toe offside, a slight handball, a dive, then who can complain????

Todays goal would have stood, but on the other hand, Wolves handball in the opener would not have been seen and Tottenham's toe offside goal against us would have stood as nobody on the pitch saw it, only VAR, therefore to me that cannot be Clear and Obvious!

It would also give the captain more responsibility and if you have the ruling that only the captain and / or manager can make the call, then it would become more tactical as they would only trust who they think are their honest players / team mates and not heir divers / feigners.

Absolutely hate VAR, for me it’s completely ruining the game. Whether that’s watching at the ground and not really being able to celebrate a goal until the oppo have kicked off or watching on TV and seeing a perfectly good goal scored and knowing it’s going to be chalked off because the laws of the game are now a joke. 

I can completely accept decisions like last night, with the rules as they are it was clearly correct, probably not fair but definitely correct. What is not ok is the shear ridiculousness of some decisions nowadays, firstly on the pitch and then by the VAR, it’s absolute madness. 

I remember very early in the season we were said to be one of the biggest beneficiaries are VAR, because of decisions like the handball for Wolves disallowing their goal, apparently we were lucky even if it was 100% the correct decision. Was it Son caught offside for a goal at the King Power? Massively changed the game but with the technology, clearly the correct decision. More recently a point gained at Wolves because of an innocuous but yet again correct offside call. 

It just seems that, with my blue tinted specs on, whenever a referee or a VAR have to give a decision based on opinion rather than fact, we’re getting diddled, and for me, we have been all season. 

Primarily against the bigger teams, any coming together in the box has been a penalty to them, consistently very soft decisions going against us, decisions where because we now have VAR the on field ref will give it because he’s probably thinking ‘if it’s an awful decision, VAR will overrule it’. Problem is, if there’s any contact, even if it’s initiated by the attacker, it’s not getting overruled.

Not just regarding us but this led to a spate of really soft penalties, that in my opinion probably wouldn’t have been given without the VAR. 

The ones involving us that I can think of:

Rashford throwing himself to the ground at Old Trafford after jumping in front of Soyuncu. 

Mane doing some sort of somersault when Albrighton tickled his calf. 

Sterling throwing himself over Pereira’s leg in the defeat at City. 

On the flip side, similar to the above incidents, Vardy being tripped at home against Everton and exaggerating the fall, no penalty and a yellow for diving, VAR agrees, there’s simply no consistency. 

Handball is a joke also, I do think regarding ruling out goals when a hands involved they’ve got those correct in all our games from what I’ve seen. That Burnley v Bournemouth game the other week though, what a farce that was. Just embarrassingly bad. The 2 handballs that we’re given were clearly shoulder, the decisions were atrocious. Those 2 decisions actually created a 3 goal swing in a game for team battling to avoid relegation, Bournemouth must’ve been livid. 

Big club bias with handball in our games has been clearly evident too, I think we all agree that Praets was a penalty no doubt, but The De Bruyne and Rudiger a few weeks ago were laughable, to me both players moved there hands to the ball, it’s madness. 

Another one that annoyed me was at home when we got battered by the Scousers, we were well in the game at 1-0 and actually having our best spell of the match when the penalty was given against Soyuncu. 

His hand is by his side, you’ve got probably the best crosser in the country whipping in a corner and Vardy I think misses a header 5 yards in front of him, he’s tucking his hand behind his back when it hits him, not a chance he means to handle it. 

No doubt we’ve been garbage lately too to be fair but it’d be a massive shame if these decisions and  our loss form actually ended in us missing out on the Champions League after we’d found ourselves in such an amazing position. 

• Like 2

VAR - Video "Assistant" Referee.

"Assistant."

It isn't assisting, it's making the decisions.

That's the problem right there.

Any VAR call should be on the referee's insistence, controlled by the on-pitch referee, the pitch side monitors should be used by the on-pitch referee and the on-pitch referee makes the final call.

VAR should be "assisting" by giving clarity to the on-pitch referee who then makes THE DECISION.

The FA has implemented the system in the worst way possible.  FIFA should step in and sort it out.  Mike Riley also needs to walk before he is fired.  

1 hour ago, JimmyB said:

It just seems that, with my blue tinted specs on, whenever a referee or a VAR have to give a decision based on opinion rather than fact, we’re getting diddled, and for me, we have been all season. 

Not just regarding us but this led to a spate of really soft penalties, that in my opinion probably wouldn’t have been given without the VAR. 

The ones involving us that I can think of:

Rashford throwing himself to the ground at Old Trafford after jumping in front of Soyuncu. 

Mane doing some sort of somersault when Albrighton tickled his calf. 

Sterling throwing himself over Pereira’s leg in the defeat at City. 

You’ve confused me a bit

those three pens were all given by the on field ref. The var didn’t give them. He didn’t over rule them but none of the three were a clear and obvious error so why would he. 

Without var, those three pens still exist .......I still think we are well in the plus column re var overturn calls. Without var, I think we would have less points.  

Also VAR is so one eyed. In the Watford Man U disallowed goal Deeney was being held by Maguire, Nacho goal it was handball by the Norwich player but it would seem incidents like this happening are not allowed to be considered or far worse being ignored as all focus is on the handball linked to the goal..

1 hour ago, davieG said:

Also VAR is so one eyed. In the Watford Man U disallowed goal Deeney was being held by Maguire, Nacho goal it was handball by the Norwich player but it would seem incidents like this happening are not allowed to be considered or far worse being ignored as all focus is on the handball linked to the goal..

The maguire deeney hold wasn’t considered significant enough to check In detail re an overturn and the defenders handball last night was in no way intentional - I take your point that it seems a bit unfair to make a call on an innocuous looking offence and ignore other innocuous ones going on at the same time ..... however, the handball/goal offence is non debatable (assuming it does hit the arm)

I hadn’t seen Kel’s interview where he says he definitely didn’t touch it with his arm ..... Mind you, kel has been known to not really know what’s going on ! 

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The maguire deeney hold wasn’t considered significant enough to check In detail re an overturn and the defenders handball last night was in no way intentional - I take your point that it seems a bit unfair to make a call on an innocuous looking offence and ignore other innocuous ones going on at the same time ..... however, the handball/goal offence is non debatable (assuming it does hit the arm)

I hadn’t seen Kel’s interview where he says he definitely didn’t touch it with his arm ..... Mind you, kel has been known to not really know what’s going on ! 

Well it’s obviously a matter of opinion but Maguire had a firm hold of Deeney before the hand ball and I’ve seen less holding (eg Morgan) penalised. For me I thought it was quite significant and should have been called.

How and who decides whether a parallel incident is significant or not?

VAR can’t and is not solving the inconsistency and generally poor decision making by refs in fact I’d argue it’s exacerbating them and spoiling the games with no significant advantage for the fare paying fans.

2 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well it’s obviously a matter of opinion but Maguire had a firm hold of Deeney before the hand ball and I’ve seen less holding (eg Morgan) penalised. For me I thought it was quite significant and should have been called.

How and who decides whether a parallel incident is significant or not?

VAR can’t and is not solving the inconsistency and generally poor decision making by refs in fact I’d argue it’s exacerbating them and spoiling the games with no significant advantage for the fare paying fans.

The general point is that the on field ref needs help but all VAR seems to be doing (away from factuals like offside ) is exacerbating the inconsistency of the refereeing by introducing mistakes from the idiot watching the screen that the on field ref hasn’t seen ...

As I was saying in the Reconsidering VAR thread last week;

On 23/02/2020 at 03:25, Matt said:

Out of interest do other countries have the issues we are having? If not why? And why haven’t we consulted other countries and how they use it?

11 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

What would've been decided in the case of last night's incident in other Euro leagues? 

I think the conclusion would have been that it wasn't conclusive it hit Iheanacho's arm and that it came off Godfrey's arm first so Kelechi couldn't do anything about it.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I think the conclusion would have been that it wasn't conclusive it hit Iheanacho's arm and that it came off Godfrey's arm first so Kelechi couldn't do anything about it.

Well that's conclusive then, hand-ball. The right decision was made.