Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sheff Utd (A) Post Match Thread - 1 - 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

They brought nigh on 10,000 that day. That was a formidable side. Long ball, naturally. Brian Deane  (a bit of an unsung hero for us....scorer if the first ever walkers/kp goal) at his best.

Do you remember the documentary of that season following Sheff Utd? I saw it not that long ago on YouTube. Lots of details in that match. We were incidental to the story... But man, we were a David Pleat inspired shambles in those days. 

Yes Deane was a top player.Big man who could score.Priceless.That documentary was brilliant.Even though the finale showed us getting mullered we took it,such was the total lack of coverage we got back then.Bassett getting mobbed at the end and Billy Whitehursts transfer negotiations stand out for me.Plus the halftime team talk 😂

5 hours ago, Danny Clender said:

Nice insight.

This suggests a switch from what Rodgers is doing though, right?

A tweak. I think we'll continue to see praet and tielemanns starting alongside a holding mid, which will mean maddison will be coming in from the left. The only way we'll get width without waiting for full backs to advance is to have a more conventional right winger 

5 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I'm wondering why people are criticising Perez' performance quite so much to be honest. He was occasionally sloppy in possession, but he had a massive part in the first goal, doing the Okazaki job of pressuring them into losing possession and feeding Maddison, who gets the assist. Which IIRC was a big part of what he was signed to do.

He also had that excellent run in the second half where he set up Vardy, who tried to nod it back across for him to finish from an impossible angle rather than having a go himself.

We would not have won that game without having the likes of him, Choudhury and Vardy on the pitch. We always had to match their high press and pressure across the pitch, which those three did in bucketloads. 

:schmike:

I've had a dig at perez - perhaps slightly unfairly, as you point out. Part of my irritation on match day was that a few minutes before sheff utd scored, he had the chance to put vardy through on goal from just past the halfway line, and fluffed the pass in behind the defenders. I haven't seen a replay of it, but at the time I thought it was a routine pass. Prem games can turn on these 'lost chance' moments, and this one nearly did. 

There's maybe a broader reason for him getting stick though. A right winger that does his job and puts a shift in sounds just like Albrighton. Given the 30mil we spent, I was hoping to see something from him that is more than what Albrighton already offers us. 

18 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Brendan has got his tactics right in the first three games. Ensuring we haven’t lost yet. Judging by some of the comments on here, there is going to be an absolute melt down when do lose. It’s ridiculous what standards some fans are setting ourselves at. We have one of the youngest most promising teams in Europe. We’ve taken a point each against a very good wolves side and Chelsea away - the latter we could’ve easily have won and three against a good promoted side. Yeah we are finding our feet this year and yeah, we have had dull moments but all in all we have had a good start and got good results. 

We had 9 points from the same games last season (presuming shef u are Cardiff in that). 

;)

• Like 1

Well happy with that, no Wilf which is a big miss but Hamza stepped up one very well worked goal and a candidate for goal of the month. Our centre half pairing looked good and big Wes came on and cleared everything. Fair play to their manager who was perhaps a bit too brutal on his team and don't think they are as bad as some think. As we know it is a hell of a step up. Wilder seems to be very underrated and people might think they are Colin inspired. They already have a win over Palace which is something we have struggled with. 3 games in we are doing great but with plenty to improve on with a few not firing, hope we put a decent side out against Newcastle and target the cups 

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Made the trip over.

Enjoyed Sheffield. City itself was a bit bare but some good scenery on the way to Meadowhall. Good spot to watch a game. A real old school venue.

We started off a bit better this time around and we were by far the more threatening side in the opening 20-25 minutes. A tad unlucky 1 or 2 chances didnt go right but was encouraging. The Blades were very mediocre to start with but after the early pressure they settled and started to frustrate us. The Vardy goal was against the run of play really. They lacked cutting edge up front but they put in the graft.

We were a bit flat after the goal and they looked like they could win it after they scored.The crowd got going in a big way but credit to Mr Barnes and his thunderbolt. Nice to get a game in and more importantly a win.

Kasper had a good game. Has been very consistent under Rodgers. Distribution much better. He and the defence couldn't do much for the goal. It happens.

Ricardo was superb in the first half. Himself and Evans were solid in the opening 45.. A slight concern that all our build up play starts with those 2 on the right hand side. Feels like more variety needed. Nonetheless Ricardo is magnificent. Was surprised at the scores of 7 or less in post match.Soyuncu was also decent. Not as notable as the first 2 games but still some great clearances. Doesn't looked overawed. Keep it up. We could do with Maguires runs all the same.

Fuchs has had a great start to the season. He's been a great servant and would have felt he was yesterdays man but he's a great player to have around the 45 minute mark. Grows into the game hugely.Liking this Indian summer a lot!

The midfield was a bit at sea. Maddison was lively as ever and his assist was a thing of beauty. His workrate has improved and he's been perhaps our best player so far. Hamza was tremendous. Still a worry that he will go overboard physically but it was his best showing by far. Tielemans though has started to show signs that Monaco warned us about. Large parts of the game passed him by. Looks like a player coasting. Praet was a bit anonymous I'm afraid. Struggled to get to grips with the game and pushed around a bit. He did play well against Chelsea so you would hope that he'll be stronger for it. Probably was Perez' best showing for us but it wasnt quite what we hoped for. Excellent interception for the goal aside he looks like someone who is only effective in space and doesn't mix it.

Early days of course but the fear with Praet and Perez - an Tielemans even- is that the dread about Congerton is maybe starting to have an effect. Hopefully it's an overreaction and that I'll be proven wrong soon.

Vardy didn't have his finest game for us but was great to get one over of the blades fans. He loved every second of it no doubt! In fairness to John Egan he kept him fairly quiet. Was pleased for him. I live in the same town he's from originally and he has come up from the third division after a broken leg. To match Vardy in only his 3rd top flight game was admirable.

At last Barnes got in on the goals and what a way to do it. He looks like a real threat any time he is on. Would be happy if both he and Perez could get in on the act.

Sheffield Utd were a committed side but just a bit toothless up front. Probably no different from us in the first year back up. WIlders comments were a bit harsh. They should be strong enough to survive. I would have taken a draw after the equaliser. We just had a bit more up front about us.

All in all it wasn't pretty and a lot of our players could have done better but it's what you call 'First World Problems'. Hard to now what way we are shaping up for the season. At least you would like to think of us as a work in progress. If we hit our stride we will take beating.

5 points from 9 is a good return. 1 point more than what I would have expected.

Get another victory at the weekend and it would be a near perfect start. :scarf:

I am  surprised one point more than expected we got 9 last year  substituting  Sheff u for cardiff so  surely 4 dropped   perhaps harsh but the 9 points were gathered under Puel  who was  sacked for poor results

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Foxaholic ME said:

I am  surprised one point more than expected we got 9 last year  substituting  Sheff u for cardiff so  surely 4 dropped   perhaps harsh but the 9 points were gathered under Puel  who was  sacked for poor results

Come back to me if we have lost at home to sheff utd, Southampton who had 10 men, Drawn with Burnley and finish the season 71- nil down on aggregate to crystal palace. Let's then make a judgement, wolves are a decent side who we rode our luck against next season, we should have beaten chelsea, this years 2nd half was probably better than last seasons game, we are unbeaten, if we can stop the draws against Bournemouth that's a good start, 8 from 12, leaves us set to go to old Trafford and give it a go there as well.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Come back to me if we have lost at home to sheff utd, Southampton who had 10 men, Drawn with Burnley and finish the season 71- nil down on aggregate to crystal palace. Let's then make a judgement, wolves are a decent side who we rode our luck against next season, we should have beaten chelsea, this years 2nd half was probably better than last seasons game, we are unbeaten, if we can stop the draws against Bournemouth that's a good start, 8 from 12, leaves us set to go to old Trafford and give it a go there as well.

You're aware we beat Bournemouth at home last season, right? 😊

On 25/08/2019 at 12:55, Cameron Davidson said:

In an ideal world, If you were manager, how would you set the team up? I think I’d have Ndidi Anchor, Maddison and Tielemans in front, with a front 3 of Barnes, Vardy and Perez.. just seems to fit all together better to my untrained eye..

i'm not sure why we've changed formation, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Maddison and Tielemans were superb working as a pair of No8's and now Tielemans seems to be neutered in this formation.

The full backs often get the ball in our half and there is no one in front of them which neauters them as well. 

I'd much prefer to see the 4-1-4-1 formation with Barnes and Perez playing on the vertical 18 yard line and interchanging between playing as an inside forward or winger and making the pitch bigger for the full backs to bomb past and Maddison and Tielemans to find a pass. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

i'm not sure why we've changed formation, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Maddison and Tielemans were superb working as a pair of No8's and now Tielemans seems to be neutered in this formation.

The full backs often get the ball in our half and there is no one in front of them which neauters them as well. 

I'd much prefer to see the 4-1-4-1 formation with Barnes and Perez playing on the vertical 18 yard line and interchanging between playing as an inside forward or winger and making the pitch bigger for the full backs to bomb past and Maddison and Tielemans to find a pass. 

there must be a reason - perhaps the way we were playing was a bit too predictable and the new way allows us to make quick changes in game ??  will be interesting to see if we revert back when faced with home fixtures against teams that are 'less able'. 

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

there must be a reason - perhaps the way we were playing was a bit too predictable and the new way allows us to make quick changes in game ??  will be interesting to see if we revert back when faced with home fixtures against teams that are 'less able'. 

I'm not having it was predictable as we were the third best point scorers in the league playing like this under BR. 

I'm not going to be over critical of the formation as it may be teething problems and I trust BR fully that he knows what he's doing and it isn't change for change sake. This summer what I wanted was for BR to sign Tielemans, stick with Barnes and sign another top class winger/inside forward type player as I assumed we'd still be playing 4-1-4-1. I was ecstatic with the Tielemans signing and thought the Justin and Praet signings were very good as it injected some real quality in the squad. Justin can cover Ricardo and has great potential and Praet could cover both Maddison and Tielemans as we didn't have a player like them and Praet could also offer tactical flexibility. 

I was unsure of Perez and still am as I wanted the best player we could get in that position who was bit more dynamic. 

31 minutes ago, Gerard said:

I'm not having it was predictable as we were the third best point scorers in the league playing like this under BR. 

I'm not going to be over critical of the formation as it may be teething problems and I trust BR fully that he knows what he's doing and it isn't change for change sake. This summer what I wanted was for BR to sign Tielemans, stick with Barnes and sign another top class winger/inside forward type player as I assumed we'd still be playing 4-1-4-1. I was ecstatic with the Tielemans signing and thought the Justin and Praet signings were very good as it injected some real quality in the squad. Justin can cover Ricardo and has great potential and Praet could cover both Maddison and Tielemans as we didn't have a player like them and Praet could also offer tactical flexibility. 

I was unsure of Perez and still am as I wanted the best player we could get in that position who was bit more dynamic. 

It also wasn't predictable enough for the dross teams to sit back and get points off us like they did with ease under Puel. Bar the Newcastle game we took maximum points off all those types of teams under Rodgers and no longer was Vardy isolated or our defence and midfield just passing it about sideways and backwards not knowing how to coax the opposition to concede some space. In fact since Rodgers then changed personnel and formation we have barely looked like scoring and similar problems have crept back in albeit against better calibre of opposition, which i'm sure would be the argument for doing so. Interesting to see what we do with a run of games against the muck, its annoying we don't have such a run for a while though.