Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sheff Utd (A) Post Match Thread - 1 - 2

Guest Markyblue

A great battling win against a newly promoted full of beans team on a decent run "end of last season, beginning of this" anybody who don't think it's a great win give your head a wobble we ain't Liverpool or man city.

I don't think anyone should be worrying about performances just yet. I do agree about us looking better as a footballing side when Maddison and Youri are in the middle spraying passes forward and out to wingers, but that's more of a Home formation to me. As @StriderHiryu has mentioned before, the formation we've been trialling has been with the intention of breaking down teams like Sheffield United, especially away from home. And so far, we're unbeaten.

Fluidity will come with time. As much as I prefer us to play with wingers and see Harvey running at players, in Brendan we trust.

Also goes without saying - what a pass from Maddison, cracker from Harvey and the rustliest of rustling from Vardy 😘

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Does anyone think that Lundstrams’ effort would’ve been chalked off as offside if it had gone in? Couldn’t tell if the player in front of Kasper was offside but if he was, being so close to him and the flight of the ball, he has to be interfering (even unintentionally).

What a great save though, and to turn it around the post took some doing. 

29 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Given the flag was up and a free kick given, I'm going with 'yes'. 

I assumed it must have been sharp when the ball was played in but it wasn’t 

clearly it was given by the linesman against the player who comes into kaspers eyeline late on. Having watched it a fair few times, I believe that VAR would have given the goal - I don’t believe that kaspers view,  nor his attempt to save are affected by the position of the player - so it was a 2 point save ! (Or miss).

• Like 2

Bournemouth will play football next week so it'll be interesting to see how we do. Our best moment so far was 2nd half against Chelsea. Wolves were overly defensive and Sheffield United worked hard but didn't have much quality. 

Bournemouth wont park the bus and will play football so I think we will see a repeat of 2nd half at Chelsea.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Danny Clender said:

Sure it'd been said before, but can't see Sheff U being relegated, really really impressive. 

Perez is the biggest discussion for me now. 

What's he got to do to click in this system? 

I know he's a "winger" or "right sided" player, but I thought he'd be in the box more and in for more chances.

There's no way i'm singling him out (I'm totally singling him out) but would like to hear thoughts on where he needs to improve? 

I think this is what we need to find a solution to in order to make the system click against teams that sit in against us. The answer might be to ask him to stay wider when we're in periods of sustained possession, or play someone that will do that naturally (Albrighton or Barnes). 

At the moment the plan seems to be to play the wingers narrow, and have full backs provide width. That's fine when the oppositions tactics allow us to play on the counter, and worked great second half against Chelsea. But in the games against wolves and sheff united, when we were playing the ball along the back 4, perez was occupying the space that tielemanns is so effective at moving forwards into, to the point that tielemanns was sometimes playing from the half way line in order to find space. In these situations we need some width to pull the opposition around to create the space to get tielemanns on the ball higher up the pitch. 

21 minutes ago, Fktf said:

I think this is what we need to find a solution to in order to make the system click against teams that sit in against us. The answer might be to ask him to stay wider when we're in periods of sustained possession, or play someone that will do that naturally (Albrighton or Barnes). 

At the moment the plan seems to be to play the wingers narrow, and have full backs provide width. That's fine when the oppositions tactics allow us to play on the counter, and worked great second half against Chelsea. But in the games against wolves and sheff united, when we were playing the ball along the back 4, perez was occupying the space that tielemanns is so effective at moving forwards into, to the point that tielemanns was sometimes playing from the half way line in order to find space. In these situations we need some width to pull the opposition around to create the space to get tielemanns on the ball higher up the pitch. 

Nice insight.

This suggests a switch from what Rodgers is doing though, right?

2 hours ago, Happy Blade said:

still a happy Blade this morning. Think a draw would have been a reasonable result  ( we actually had higher xG) but hats off to Barnes for grabbing the points with a once in season strike. It wasof course nailed on for Vardy to score but shame it had to be a mistake and he didn't have a sniff otherwise the whole game. Admit that I was wrong about the hostile atmosphere towards him - in fact it was very muted becuase a) he had so few touches to boo and b) lots of people around me being smart about not wanting to gee him up. Also comments about even though he supports Wednesday he is properPlayer who has worked his way up through the leagues like all at SUFC. If you are to finish top third as many expect then I think we put in a generally encouraging performance against you. Much better than Chelsea managed second half where you dominated and that never happened today. Good luck wth rest of season and wish to Hell I'd never made the comment about Barnes being quality ! 

The danger of us is forcing teams to make mistakes in their own half by pressing relentlessly and turning it over for quick throughballs to Vardy.

Teams always bemoan it but it's no less avoidable when you hunt in packs like we do than being exposed to intricate passing. 

All the best for the rest of the season, I dont think too many teams will win at Brammall Lane this season, McBurnie will get 10+ this season IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Talking of nothing, what a funny (unusual) club Sheffield United are. Reasonably decent sized support yet they've been in the old fourth division, spent long periods in league 1, championship and now three spells in the premier.

And they've ALWAYS been an ugly side. Wham bam, stick it up 'em. Dave Bassett, Neil Warnock, this current team. I can't ever recall them having a footballing side. You'd think at least one manager since I started following football in 1980 would have tried to introduce a passing game at some stage. 

I sometimes forget that they exist.Yet Bramall Lane is quite impressive.I think it’s in my lifetime that Yorkshire played cricket there.As for support I’ll never forget when they invaded Filbert Street with their illuminious shirts.Thousands of them on a boiling hot day.We got steam rolled.Your so right about their playing style though 

Sheffield United are a well drilled unit but they have little in the way of quality. There only hope of opening us up was a long ball into the box. They will be scrapping down at the bottom end this season. There fans need to get a little more realistic and realise that they arent that good a side.

Edited by Micky

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

The danger of us is forcing teams to make mistakes in their own half by pressing relentlessly and turning it over for quick throughballs to Vardy.

Teams always bemoan it but it's no less avoidable when you hunt in packs like we do than being exposed to intricate passing. 

All the best for the rest of the season, I dont think too many teams will win at Brammall Lane this season, McBurnie will get 10+ this season IMO.

Nah

45 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I sometimes forget that they exist.Yet Bramall Lane is quite impressive.I think it’s in my lifetime that Yorkshire played cricket there.As for support I’ll never forget when they invaded Filbert Street with their illuminious shirts.Thousands of them on a boiling hot day.We got steam rolled.Your so right about their playing style though 

They brought nigh on 10,000 that day. That was a formidable side. Long ball, naturally. Brian Deane  (a bit of an unsung hero for us....scorer if the first ever walkers/kp goal) at his best.

Do you remember the documentary of that season following Sheff Utd? I saw it not that long ago on YouTube. Lots of details in that match. We were incidental to the story... But man, we were a David Pleat inspired shambles in those days. 

2 hours ago, CloudFox said:

I don't think anyone should be worrying about performances just yet. I do agree about us looking better as a footballing side when Maddison and Youri are in the middle spraying passes forward and out to wingers, but that's more of a Home formation to me. As @StriderHiryu has mentioned before, the formation we've been trialling has been with the intention of breaking down teams like Sheffield United, especially away from home. And so far, we're unbeaten.

Fluidity will come with time. As much as I prefer us to play with wingers and see Harvey running at players, in Brendan we trust.

Also goes without saying - what a pass from Maddison, cracker from Harvey and the rustliest of rustling from Vardy 😘

I just put this in another thread but it’s worth putting here too; it took Rodgers time to turn Liverpool’s attack into something lethal. The players have to get used to the system and each other to get a fast and effective style working. That doesn’t mean the manager gets a free pass but it does mean that we should be excited that our team is already getting results without being anywhere near top gear. 

I’m definitely very optimistic in my outlook on this season. Man U especially look like they can be got at.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I just put this in another thread but it’s worth putting here too; it took Rodgers time to turn Liverpool’s attack into something lethal. The players have to get used to the system and each other to get a fast and effective style working. That doesn’t mean the manager gets a free pass but it does mean that we should be excited that our team is already getting results without being anywhere near top gear. 

I’m definitely very optimistic in my outlook on this season. Man U especially look like they can be got at.

Essentially we are getting to a point where we have a plan b both away and at home. I'd say we have a plan c too.

Having a squad that is technically tight (once we've reduced numbers) and has the flexibility to change shape and adapt to the opposition is vital to our success this season. We are a little unsteady at the minute, yet getting results, and there's going to be an result that doesn't go our way, and if that happens in the next two months, then it's happen at home given the number of games we have. So we'll have to shake it off, and the players seem a group that can do just that.

We're not as fluid at the minute in our play as we can be, and I think over the season we're only going to get better. It's going to be something once we find our rhythm. I'm going to stick my neck out and say someone is going to get us and it'll be an absolute horror show. But we're not there yet, and I hope as fans we give them patience, and room to make mistakes along the way. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Shamomoa said:

to put this into perspective. man utd smashed chelsea on the opening weekend. sheffield utd have beaten crystal palace last weekend and we beat sheffield this weekend with palace beating man utd aswell so we are better than man utd so far which isnt Much but ill take it. good call maguire! we will be fine this season! 👍

Image result for conkers

There is absolutely no cause for concern. Yesterday had the potential to be a banana skin, and we won... the blades are at the moment going into games with no fear, as most expect them to fail. So far they’ve been able to switch to a bullish championship style if they need too, which is what they did yesterday, yet, we beat them. 

We were the better side and our quality won the game, at this stage of season, no one should be looking like the finished article, far to many tests to endure until you can look anywhere near the finished article. Yesterday told us (well me anyway) that we can scrap, you’re not going to get many more sides who will scrap like they will. I was more than happy with yesterday, in my opinion we could play with more width, but I’m not a manager, Brendan is, and if he feels long term who’s formation will work, then so be it. 

The plus’ so far this season are, we’re looking better in possession than last season, and we’re not even at full capacity, we’re winning the ball back a lot more when we lose it, and we seem more comfortable with the ball at the back. We will be a good side this season, and I still feel that we will breach the top 6. 

• Like 1