Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sheff Utd (A) Post Match Thread - 1 - 2

Just now, Happy Blade said:

still a happy Blade this morning. Think a draw would have been a reasonable result  ( we actually had higher xG) but hats off to Barnes for grabbing the points with a once in season strike. It wasof course nailed on for Vardy to score but shame it had to be a mistake and he didn't have a sniff otherwise the whole game. Admit that I was wrong about the hostile atmosphere towards him - in fact it was very muted becuase a) he had so few touches to boo and b) lots of people around me being smart about not wanting to gee him up. Also comments about even though he supports Wednesday he is properPlayer who has worked his way up through the leagues like all at SUFC. If you are to finish top third as many expect then I think we put in a generally encouraging performance against you. Much better than Chelsea managed second half where you dominated and that never happened today. Good luck wth rest of season and wish to Hell I'd never made the comment about Barnes being quality ! 

Vardy made you look a bit of a mug after what you said this week but fair play for fronting up on here post match 

I think people are underestimating the effects of momentum and confidence coupled with a noisy home crowd. They were promoted last season, have started quite well and playing with determination and grit. Of course this can only take you so far, as we found out the year we came up. However, in the early stages of the season it can count for a great deal.

We don't really seem to have clicked at all yet so hoping we can step up soon. Bogey side Bournemouth up next and really need to win.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Blade said:

still a happy Blade this morning. Think a draw would have been a reasonable result  ( we actually had higher xG) but hats off to Barnes for grabbing the points with a once in season strike. It wasof course nailed on for Vardy to score but shame it had to be a mistake and he didn't have a sniff otherwise the whole game. Admit that I was wrong about the hostile atmosphere towards him - in fact it was very muted becuase a) he had so few touches to boo and b) lots of people around me being smart about not wanting to gee him up. Also comments about even though he supports Wednesday he is properPlayer who has worked his way up through the leagues like all at SUFC. If you are to finish top third as many expect then I think we put in a generally encouraging performance against you. Much better than Chelsea managed second half where you dominated and that never happened today. Good luck wth rest of season and wish to Hell I'd never made the comment about Barnes being quality ! 

It was a good game of football to watch, both teams were at it and trying to play. 

I wouldn't start to focus on xG, its one of the worst stats going and it can really start to alter your view of a game. 

I think you'll be fine, but I do wonder why you didn't start with McBurnie up top from the start? You looked so much more threatening with him up top than the entire first half. 

I suppose people tend to quote xG when it supports their argument.😀. Most Blades fans would agree with you about Mcburnie. As to being a mug about Vardy - let's have it right this is in my opening post 

. As to Vardy it can go two ways. All credit to the lad for being not being a shy owl but he will get roasted at the  lLane. My hope is that  he will be trying too hard and lack the cold head to take  chances or get himself sent off. I might be disappointed.

anyroad fair dos that photo is quality if you're a fox or an owl

Edited by Happy Blade
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Happy Blade said:

It's not really a badge of honour to limit Vardy to so few touches, he doesn't really get involved in general play that much. He pretty much exclusively plays off the shoulder now. A bit more quality and he would have been put through at least once more. Think Vardys goal will be the blueprint for a few opposition teams, win it high up pitch with centre halves out of position, then there is a world of space to exploit. 

Think Sheff Utd will just about be ok, a few teams will struggle to deal with those overloads in wide areas, but once the buzz of bring newly promoted fades a bit, I can see it being a struggle simply due to the lack of individual quality. Wilder is a great manager though, and that'll see you through. 

Talking of nothing, what a funny (unusual) club Sheffield United are. Reasonably decent sized support yet they've been in the old fourth division, spent long periods in league 1, championship and now three spells in the premier.

And they've ALWAYS been an ugly side. Wham bam, stick it up 'em. Dave Bassett, Neil Warnock, this current team. I can't ever recall them having a footballing side. You'd think at least one manager since I started following football in 1980 would have tried to introduce a passing game at some stage. 

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think the extra defender in the shape of Morgan was exactly the right thing to do. Whilst correct in your comments regarding certain expectations and responses against teams with limited technical ability as opposed to top teams, nevertheless, Rodgers could see a very specific problem arising, that being since the departure of Maguire, our potential susceptibility to high balls into the box. This can't be denied and to some extent you could argue that perhaps a decent answer would be to stop the delivery of such balls. That may be the case but the players taken off at this stage weren't exactly contributing much either so the 'belt and braces' 'plugging the gap' option was the right thing to do at that time. As the season develops and as players get used to each other and different tactics, possibly they'll learn to conquer such problems in another way.

Again, as I stated repeatedly I have no issue with either the decision to being Wes on or with his performance. We were getting bossed in the box and Wes came in and did a job. My concern is that it was necessary to resort to that against a team with so little in the way of creativity or technical skill. We should never have been penned in our own area that way in the first place. We should have been able to play our way out of danger.

Any win is a good win, especially away. Just don’t gloss over the concerns that performance raised, and work on addressing them.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Happy Blade said:

That's the difference between the Premier League and the Championship. Top quality players can be virtually anonymous for 88 minutes but they only need one chance to show what they can do. It was high pressing that turned the ball over as much as an error, but even then there was plenty to do. However, the pass from Maddison was of the highest order, don't think Vardy needed to touch it, and the finish top quality.

I think your chances of staying up depend largely on how the other promoted sides fare. If both do well then you will have your work cut out to stay up but you definitely have a chance if your home form stays decent. The difference between 7th and 20th is not always as big as some would make out and so-called established sides, such as Stoke used to be, can soon find themselves in trouble.

11 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Talking of nothing, what a funny (unusual) club Sheffield United are. Reasonably decent sized support yet they've been in the old fourth division, spent long periods in league 1, championship and now three spells in the premier.

And they've ALWAYS been an ugly side. Wham bam, stick it up 'em. Dave Bassett, Neil Warnock, this current team. I can't ever recall them having a footballing side. You'd think at least one manager since I started following football in 1980 would have tried to introduce a passing game at some stage. 

Attempts on target lcfc 2 sufc 3 . Completed passes lcfc 362 Sufc 323. You should be a match of the day pundit with your ready  adoption of footballing cliches.

Edited by Happy Blade

Observations from being there. We didn't look great but did enough. Perez struggling, I think rodgers may need to introduce him rather than start. 

Yuri still not firing as he was. A better side than Blades would have beaten us comfortably yesterday. 

Plus points, cags looking solid, madders incredible through ball and Barnes worldly finish.

Loved the concourse atmosphere and singing but never seems to continue once out there?

Bring on the geordies. 

15 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Observations from being there. We didn't look great but did enough. Perez struggling, I think rodgers may need to introduce him rather than start. 

Yuri still not firing as he was. A better side than Blades would have beaten us comfortably yesterday

Plus points, cags looking solid, madders incredible through ball and Barnes worldly finish.

Loved the concourse atmosphere and singing but never seems to continue once out there?

Bring on the geordies. 

Disagree. We played well and lacked that final touch. We can only beat what's in front of you so no point saying "a better team would've beat us". 

Sure it'd been said before, but can't see Sheff U being relegated, really really impressive. 

Perez is the biggest discussion for me now. 

What's he got to do to click in this system? 

I know he's a "winger" or "right sided" player, but I thought he'd be in the box more and in for more chances.

There's no way i'm singling him out (I'm totally singling him out) but would like to hear thoughts on where he needs to improve? 

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Disagree. We played well and lacked that final touch. We can only beat what's in front of you so no point saying "a better team would've beat us". 

Also, a better team wouldn't have played like Sheff U. Chelsea are a better team than Sheff U, but we looked more comfortable in the second half against them than we did yesterday. Purely because Chelsea's style afforded us the opportunity to play our best style.

• Like 1

Just watched MOTD. 

Perez' pressure then Maddison's pass for Vardy's goal :wub:

Vardy's celebration in front of their Kop :wub:. You gotta get what you give! If you hound Vardy all game that's what he'll do and that's how he'll celebrate it. 

Barnes' absolute thunderbolt gets better with every watch. Amazing hit. 

Kasper's save from Lundstram. Immense :wub:

Looked like we nullified their wing back threat which seemed to totally stop their strength of playing. Definitely helped in our control of the play by the sounds of it. I imagine it's what teams will try and do to us but the advantage we have is that we have players like Maddison and Tielemans to support elsewhere. 

Always good to get  3 points but it's even better against a newly promoted side who have a great home record and make the atmosphere really good too. Quality showed in the end. 

58 minutes ago, Happy Blade said:

I suppose people tend to quote xG when it supports their argument.😀. Most Blades fans would agree with you about Mcburnie. As to being a mug about Vardy - let's have it right this is in my opening post 

. As to Vardy it can go two ways. All credit to the lad for being not being a shy owl but he will get roasted at the  lLane. My hope is that  he will be trying too hard and lack the cold head to take  chances or get himself sent off. I might be disappointed.

anyroad fair dos that photo is quality if you're a fox or an owl

Naa mate, got mugged off. You spent numerous posts rambling about how the atmosphere might effect him etc. As per anyone who attempts to do it, he sticks it in the back of the net. 

16 hours ago, Guest said:

Nah, it would have been embarrassing if we'd thrown men forwards to try to kill the game and been caught on the break, or if Soyuncu and Evans got beaten to another cross for an equaliser. Obviously it'd be nice to just flick the switch and score another few goals but it's not that simple. We got our lead, came up with a plan to hold on to it and executed it against a very awkward team.

If we are to get anywhere near Europe then we're going to need plenty of scrappy wins exactly like that. Just because we might fancy ourselves as one of the big boys doesn't mean we're suddenly going to rock up at these places and absolutely batter teams. We're still a fairly average team at this level and I think a few amongst us have let the supposed push for the top six go to their heads a bit.

Exactly.

These are the same people that predict us to finish top 4. I think they're overestimating our team by some distance.

Does anyone think that Lundstrams’ effort would’ve been chalked off as offside if it had gone in? Couldn’t tell if the player in front of Kasper was offside but if he was, being so close to him and the flight of the ball, he has to be interfering (even unintentionally).

What a great save though, and to turn it around the post took some doing. 

13 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Does anyone think that Lundstrams’ effort would’ve been chalked off as offside if it had gone in? Couldn’t tell if the player in front of Kasper was offside but if he was, being so close to him and the flight of the ball, he has to be interfering (even unintentionally).

What a great save though, and to turn it around the post took some doing. 

Given the flag was up and a free kick given, I'm going with 'yes'. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Also, a better team wouldn't have played like Sheff U. Chelsea are a better team than Sheff U, but we looked more comfortable in the second half against them than we did yesterday. Purely because Chelsea's style afforded us the opportunity to play our best style.

Exactly. 

You can't compare games against teams with different styles and qualities. 

Arguably you can compare Wolves and Yesterday's game due similar styles and set ups; but comparisons between teams are always risky 

• Like 1