Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sheff Utd (A) Post Match Thread - 1 - 2

Although I agree that Pérez has been poor thus far, I think the system is very different to what he’s used to. Last year he was playing off Rondon very well and vardy is the complete opposite player. We need Maddison in the 10 for him to play off and I think he’ll do much better. Same with tielemans too, he needs Maddison in front of him to play off successfully. I’d drop praet for barnes, play a 4231 with Hamza and Youri as the 2 and Maddison in at 10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark said:

Massive difference today was he played his position. He’s not someone who’s game is between midfield and attack in front of Ndidi. It’s Ndidi or Choudhury for me.

Again you are underestimating his game. He can play all over midfield. BR is right to play both as we are moving towards a more fluid structure. Choudhury covers for everyone and can control and pass a ball whilst he is the king of pressurising. N'Didi is defensive but he can attack with his head on set pieces. Today he could have been caught out in possession of the ball and with his first touch with the pressure that Sheff put on our players. Of course if he was then Hamza, Cags or Evans would have covered for him.

Both in the team for me and one of Tielemans or Praet.

Chilwell and Ndidi improve this team when fit, but the fact that we come out of a tricky game with 3 points bodes well. The most interesting thing so far this season is that we haven't particularly missed Maguire. This is a young side and there will be bumps in the road, but the potential is like nothing I have seen in the 40 years I have been watching us. Even better is that we have the right man in charge of this group at the right time. Genuinely looking forward to this season.

• Thanks 1

Guest Cujek
3 hours ago, sdb said:

I'm going to break new FT rules and reiterate my disappointment with that performance. 

The system is not suited to our players strengths. The 2 Belgians were pedestrian, Perez is miles off, we had no support for our full backs despite their preference to get balls into our box. We don't look convincing defending set pieces either. I'd wager we beat the only team in the league we could've with today's performance. Another 40-50% required. Sorry to be a bore!

Chuffed for Harv and some lovely moments from Maddison and Vardy (who could've scored about 6 this season if those playing behind him were on any kind of wavelength). 

Holy shit lol, I thought I Could have an over critical view point sometimes, this is next level! 

:brendan_still:  Here's what our manager had to say:

“It was a great win for us  it’s a tough place to come and they’ve got really good momentum over the last couple of years here, Sheffield United.

The supporters, having had their first three points last week, it was going to be a tough place for us, but I thought we showed many different aspects to the game today.

“We had to have resilience and we had to defend the box. They put a lot of crosses in. At times, we showed real good quality in the game.

We need to be better in certain moments, we need to be able to play quicker and a bit cleaner with our passing building through the game, but what we showed was a fantastic resilience in the game, to dig in and score two quality goals.

Like I say, games like this really test your spirit as a team and you can see that mentality, it was there in bucket loads.”

“We pressed the game really well in the middle of the field, and James Maddison has played one of the best passes you’ll see throughout the season with the outside of his foot.

It’s an absolutely sensational pass, and Jamie does what he does best. He just lets it run across his body and finishes. That gave us a good start in the game. We had a bit of pressure that we had to deal with in the second half and obviously they got their goal. They changed the two strikers and their two strikers go into the box. The two boys in the first half for Sheffield United probably played more outside, so they were in the box and from crosses, it was starting to hurt us a little bit. We made the change. Tactically, we bring in Wes and we go to a 3-5-2 and it worked well for us. We got the winning goal through an absolutely brilliant strike by Harvey. It was so good for the supporters to have that right in front of them. It was wonderful technique.”

“I was, of course, very, very happy. It’s a tough place to come, so knowing that we’ve got quality players and they’re going to keep going, was important.

To score a goal of that technique and quality having just come into the game, I’m so pleased for him. He’s a boy that’s got a big future here at the Club, and like I say, it was a brilliant goal.”

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Quite a refreshing interview with Chris Wilder. Another manager to give us some plaudits, which seems to be a recurring and enjoyable theme this season!

I was reasonably impressed with the Blades. On a limited budget I think they've created an effective style that suits their players. Not sure if they will stay up, but they certainly don't look like the worst team in the division in the three games they've played so far. I think today their biggest failing was they often could not keep hold of the ball and lost possession sloppily, e.g. they would play a cross-field pass and someone would miscontrol it and it went out for touch. Today they really got punished by quality, as both our strikes were superb.

I think their biggest test will likely be around Christmas when the games come thick and fast, the injuries pile up and the teams with worse squad depth often suffer.

Wow that makes a change. Fair play to him and i now hope they stay up. Seems a top bloke 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Wow that makes a change. Fair play to him and i now hope they stay up. Seems a top bloke 

I very much agree. Most managers make excuses, but he didn't and if anything was slightly harsh on his own team!

He's an interesting one because he turned down bigger opportunities to say as manager of his hometown club. It will be interesting to see how long that remains the case for because I think he's pretty talented. In fact I'd probably say that the coaches of the three promoted teams Farke, Smith and Wilder could well be better than some of the managers of other clubs in the league. Graham Potter also seems very talented to me, I predict a bright future for him.

Norwich are the interesting ones for me, they play really exciting stuff but are so open. I wonder how long it will be before they become a little bit more pragmatic?

Edited by StriderHiryu

47 minutes ago, FIF said:

Again you are underestimating his game. He can play all over midfield. BR is right to play both as we are moving towards a more fluid structure. Choudhury covers for everyone and can control and pass a ball whilst he is the king of pressurising. N'Didi is defensive but he can attack with his head on set pieces. Today he could have been caught out in possession of the ball and with his first touch with the pressure that Sheff put on our players. Of course if he was then Hamza, Cags or Evans would have covered for him.

Both in the team for me and one of Tielemans or Praet.

We will see, I find it no coincidence he had his best game for us without Ndidi and playing the deeper role. I love his engine and he is a player I think in time will become a box to box midfielder but we are too limited a team playing Ndidi and Choudhury. With lots of tough games coming up though they no doubt will he back in together but not against Bournemouth thankfully.

• Like 1

Brilliant result and great to see we can win ugly. The Utd Andy Everton results illustrate how hard this league can be. New team, newish manager, new system yet some promising signs. Not there yet but three decent results and good get first win. COYB. X 

I think Brenners said after the game it was 433 without the ball, 343 with. I presume that is Ricardo stepping forward, but whatever it is we need to get our midfield sorted soon. Madders and Youri need to be closer together, surely.

The subs did great and it was an excellent win, but we were exposed against the aerial ball before Wes shored things up (missing Ndidi at points?), and we clearly need to get the midfield working better. Kudos to Hamza, Ndidi would have struggled to do better than that, even with his superiority in the air.