Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Steven

Sheff Utd (A) Post Match Thread - 1 - 2

Only read a few pages but surprised that people thought Sheff were decent. Thought they were horrendous and look destined to be relegated. 

As for us, we did the job on them today without ever really getting out of first gear. 

Great 3 points. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Only read a few pages but surprised that people thought Sheff were decent. Thought they were horrendous and look destined to be relegated. 

As for us, we did the job on them today without ever really getting out of first gear. 

Great 3 points. 

Yeah Sheff U were literally sideways, sideways and then hopefully hoof a cross in. Repeat. No dynamism 

10 hours ago, srex9 said:

I'd say it was tactically astute. Ensured the 3 points. The first win is an important one. I don't think we can always expect us to go away from home against organised teams and blow them away...just a bit unrealistic. 

Some people just don't understand how close the Premier League is.  Some of our fans are very unrealistic. We are not Man City or Liverpool but we are a upper table team and have not lost in the 3 we have played. We can't dictate all the time.  Other teams will especially at home cause problems to all teams us included. If we had lost because we were to aggressive the same muppets complaining would complain about those tactics.  Winning is the main goal, style second.

• Like 4

Style has nothing to do with it, really.  Sheffield is a determined and organized side, but the last 20 minutes it looked more than anything like we were a lower-division club trying to hang on in against a PL side in a cup tie.  We shouldn't be forced into desperation defending against a team with limited technical ability like S.U..  Against a top club, sure - it's more or less what you expect.  Against this one we should have been able to see things out a little more calmly and decisively, even while adopting a conservative approach.  You can't - or at least shouldn't - have to rely on chucking a 3rd central defender on, ceding possession and hoping to survive every time you're protecting a lead.  And if we did against Sheffield United, no disrespect to them, it's going to be even more difficult to hang on that way against a side with more skill in attack.

Well we shithoused that one. Ugly, but a win away so.... Perhaps it was something to do with the weather, but same for both sides and it didn’t seem to affect Utd who I thought were very good, and surely won’t get relegated.

Hamza was immense. Found myself hoping Rodgers would take Tielemans off and bring on Barnes. Sorry Youri, not good enough. Maddison looking good.

Please go back to 4141 with Barnes as starter and perhaps Albrighton instead of Perez. Tielemans and Praet to fight it out for the second midfield spot with Maddison in the other spot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Collymore said:

Great 3 points. 

I thought the same, don’t think I’ve ever seen a team put it out of play as much as they did. They lack the quality needed to stay in the league, teams will figure out how to play against them like we did today. Ravel Morrison could provide them with something different, interested to see how he does when he’s starting. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Style has nothing to do with it, really.  Sheffield is a determined and organized side, but the last 20 minutes it looked more than anything like we were a lower-division club trying to hang on in against a PL side in a cup tie.  We shouldn't be forced into desperation defending against a team with limited technical ability like S.U..  Against a top club, sure - it's more or less what you expect.  Against this one we should have been able to see things out a little more calmly and decisively, even while adopting a conservative approach.  You can't - or at least shouldn't - have to rely on chucking a 3rd central defender on, ceding possession and hoping to survive every time you're protecting a lead.  And if we did against Sheffield United, no disrespect to them, it's going to be even more difficult to hang on that way against a side with more skill in attack.

I think the extra defender in the shape of Morgan was exactly the right thing to do. Whilst correct in your comments regarding certain expectations and responses against teams with limited technical ability as opposed to top teams, nevertheless, Rodgers could see a very specific problem arising, that being since the departure of Maguire, our potential susceptibility to high balls into the box. This can't be denied and to some extent you could argue that perhaps a decent answer would be to stop the delivery of such balls. That may be the case but the players taken off at this stage weren't exactly contributing much either so the 'belt and braces' 'plugging the gap' option was the right thing to do at that time. As the season develops and as players get used to each other and different tactics, possibly they'll learn to conquer such problems in another way.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shailen said:

A decent away performance and a great result against a spirited side. Think they haven't individually got the quality but their team spirit and collective efforts is to admire.

These are tough teams to beat, in last couple of seasons we could not beat them, so a good result.

Edited by Dorkingfox

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Scrappy game, a good solid away performance against a team who are going to be fighters. We did the job.

Hamza on another level to everyone else on the pitch - a Kanye esq display.

3 points in the bag!

Not sure what the most influential artist of our generation has to do with it :ph34r:

• Haha 2

Honestly away at a team like that, especially this early on I don’t think a great performance is necessary, just get the 3 points and move on, win against Bournemouth next week and we’re in a great position going into the international break 

• Like 1

As I said before we are still trying to find our groove I do feel Brendan can do better in terms of formation selections to get the best out of the players and the team likewise, but the signs are promising so far. There will Be better tests along the way this season. But honestly I feel right now we are better than the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea. Obviously we have to prove it on the pitch but come the end of the season we will finish above them.

Again, I wasn't pleased with the team selection. 

No width and it looks to me like our creative midfielders have no idea of their actual roles in the side. 

We just looked so much better once Barnes came on and I would always play a winger as it pulls defenders out and gives the likes of Maddison, Perez & Tielemans more space and pockets. 

It was a good, but ugly win, although again our lack of penetration was obvious and there is no way we should have allowed a very poor Sheff Utd side back into that match.

I'll be very surprised if Sheff Utd manage to stay in the P/L, and it was refreshing to hear an honest Chris Wilder say much the same in his post match interview. Good work rate is a given, but they had little in the way of invention.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Collymore said:

Great 3 points. 

I think they will stay up but I agree they are a limited side. Wasn't impressed by them.

6 hours ago, shailen said:

A decent away performance and a great result against a spirited side. Think they haven't individually got the quality but their team spirit and collective efforts is to admire.

That was the difference in the end, our quality told in the end. But I was impressed with their Coaching some of their movement was first class.

I was impressed in how we pounced on the mistake for Vardy's goal. Which was well taken.

Hamza started a bit slowly but got better and better the longer the game went. Nothing fancy just the innocuous dirty work that's needed to turn games.

Maddison was also excellent, Youri was poor by his standards but not his type of game.

Rogers got the Sub situations spot on yesterday. We needed Morgan's bulk and heading ability to nullify attacks.

Barnes goal has to be Goal of the Day. What a screamer and delighted for him. That will give him confidence.

We;re building momentum now. Just have to keep it up.

• Like 1

Watching the game back, I'd say one big positive is the 3 subs. All got game time and all did exactly what they were asked to do. Barnes gets the early goal we all felt so vital to his confidence.

Not sure who starts when Ndidi, Choudry, chillwell and Fuchs are all fit. Nice problem to have though!