Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On This Day Thread - On Going

18 minutes ago, MattFox said:

Probably the greatest ever game at the new ground 

Glad I was there.

It's still tinged with a few what ifs for me. I think with VAR, we'd have got a Penalty in Madrid and then who knows. Ahhh well. 

The way the crowd sung at the end of the Madrid home game reminded me of one of my first ever games where everyone was singing We Love You Leicester at Filbert Street against Man United. 

Well and truly disregarded any myths about 'acoustics' being an issue for that Champions League run.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

Glad I was there.

It's still tinged with a few what ifs for me. I think with VAR, we'd have got a Penalty in Madrid and then who knows. Ahhh well. 

The way the crowd sung at the end of the Madrid home game reminded me of one of my first ever games where everyone was singing We Love You Leicester at Filbert Street against Man United. 

Well and truly disregarded any myths about 'acoustics' being an issue for that Champions League run.

Genuinely feel like the atmosphere at the KP has never been the same again since the Madrid game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MattFox said:

Genuinely feel like the atmosphere at the KP has never been the same again since the Madrid game

You could almost feel them last few minutes feeling like the end of something. Even though we spoke about returning to them days and very nearly did, it just felt like we had peaked. Sadly it looks like we were right. 

As Leicester players head all round the globe for this week's internationals, look at this newspaper clipping from March 19th 1898:

sco-wal.png

Scotland beat Wales 5-2. But it was an historic day for Leicester Fosse. Dick Jones and Ernie Watkins were the very first players from the club to be selected for their country.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

On this day in 1997

May be an image of 7 people, people playing football, people playing American football, crowd and text that says "20 FA SIS WALKERS Cillnet THE Coc oc 6o ® CUP 1997 MIMOERS ERS"

It was an amazing achievement for the club, especially after 30+ trophy-less years. 

With our recent success I think maybe we've forgotten what a fantastic era that was for the club. Not quite 2016, but very special in its own way. Still think peak O'Neill is our greatest ever manager. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, bovril said:

On this day in 1997

May be an image of 7 people, people playing football, people playing American football, crowd and text that says "20 FA SIS WALKERS Cillnet THE Coc oc 6o ® CUP 1997 MIMOERS ERS"

It was an amazing achievement for the club, especially after 30+ trophy-less years. 

With our recent success I think maybe we've forgotten what a fantastic era that was for the club. Not quite 2016, but very special in its own way. Still think peak O'Neill is our greatest ever manager. 

Was just watching the highlight reel on the clubs twitter page. 

How fitting was it that it was Alan Parry who did the commentary. Because of Big Match Live ITV, most of our big games previously (as far as I can remember) were done by Parry - he always seem to know a lot about our players. 

Amazing night. Amazing win. 

Edited by Mickyblueeyes
  • Like 2

Was in the main stand at Hillsborough that night about 6 rows behind where Walshie lifted the trophy.

All day on the piss in Sheffield then had to sprint about three miles to the station afterwards to catch the train home on time 😆

I still love that team right up there with the 15/16 one.

• Like 2

Had Wembley tickets and couldn’t make it due to an overseas wedding. Replay tickets set were at end of row where the players walked down with trophy. Amazing night 

can’t imagine ever liking this team like I loved them 

Being in football's transitional era helped. The last 50 years has seen it change from the low crowd, grim, hooliganism days to the expensive, quite soulless game it is now. I would say the early 90s to around 2005 were the best days- money was coming in but ticket prices weren't astronomical, saturated coverage wasn't here and it still felt like clubs could achieve without vast resources.