Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On This Day Thread - On Going

Arsenal completed their invincible season on this day. I remember being in the away end at Highbury on that day and, mainly due to being a kid at the time, thinking we were going to ruin it all after Dickov put us ahead. I also didn't think it would be another 10 years before we returned. 

Bit of a difference in the two XIs on that day:-

Arsenal: Lehmann, Lauren, Toure, Campbell, Cole, Ljungberg (Keown 87), Silva, Vieira, Pires (Edu 70), Bergkamp (Reyes 82), Henry.
Subs Not Used: Parlour, Stack.

Leicester: Walker (Coyne 78), Sinclair, Heath, Dabizas, Stewart, Scowcroft, Freund (Brooker 76), McKinlay, Nalis, Bent, Dickov (Benjamin 85).

Subs Not Used: Gillespie, Guppy.

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

On this day three years ago, we paraded our premier league trophy around the city in an open top bus, and had a huge party in Vicky Park.

images.jpeg.jpg.751923b4c8fe16f0bd01238992a728b1.jpg

Still annoyed I couldn't be there...  Sure, my friend took some pics for me, but it's not the same :(

1 hour ago, tom27111 said:

27th May 1996

23 years ago today. How time flies.

I remember it like it was yesterday as the whole of Wembley fell silent for a second as Nigel Martyn watched Claridge's shinner fly past him! 

Merc

Former Foxes captain Steve Walsh recalls Derby memories ahead of play-off final and tips winner
Steve Walsh has previewed the Championship play-off final in an interview with LeicestershireLive

S
ByRob TannerLeicester City Editor
08:00, 27 MAY 2019
SPORT
0_GettyImages-81789053.jpg
Leicester's Steve Walsh scores a winning goal against Derby in a Division One play-off final, 30th May 1994. Leicester won 2-1. (Image: Photo by Ben Radford/Getty Images)

When Aston Villa take on Derby County in the Championship play-off final on Monday, former Leicester City skipper Steve Walsh will be watching on with mixed emotions.

On one hand, it was against the Rams in 1994 that Walsh famously scored twice as City came from behind to finally reach the Premier League.

However, while Villa are looking to bounce back after their play-off final defeat to Fulham last season, Walsh has contrasting memories of City’s two devastating defeats to Blackburn Rovers and Swindon Town in 1992 and 1993.

Walsh described the pain of those losses as some of the worst he had experienced in his career, so he will know what the Villa players are feeling if it is Frank Lampard’s side that come out on top.

“Against Blackburn in the first game it was a debatable penalty and the next year we fought back superbly against Swindon from 3-0 (with Walsh one of the goalscorers), only to suffer the late winner,” Walsh told LeicesstershireLive

“It is the worst feeling you could ever have. Mentally you had to be strong.

“When we got to the third final it was something else. To get there three times in consecutive years was unheard of. Brian Little said he had a three year plan and it worked perfectly.

“I wasn’t actually fit to play in the Derby final. I had been a struggling in the semi-finals but it was an amazing feeling to get to the final again.

“I was coming back from a cruciate ligament injury, which made it so much harder to be involved to be fit enough to play, but I knew I had to play. The team needed me, I felt.

“Brian asked me if I was fit, and I said yes when I wasn’t.

“I remember him asking me if I was 70 percent fit on the Friday before the game. I said I was, but I wasn’t.

“Then in the team meeting on the day of the game at the hotel he named the team, and I was in shock. Not because he had named me, because I knew he would, but the fact I was up front with Iwan Roberts and Ian Ormondroyd were up front with me. It was a bit of a strange one. I didn’t think the tactics would work, but they did.

“It was a memory I would never forget.”

Little was said after the first two finals there wasn’t any sense that City were going out to enjoy the day at Wembley, just a steely determination to win, and Walsh agrees.

“I guess when you have been in two finals and lost in the fashion we did there was no way we would lose that game,” Walsh recalled.

“But we knew we had to deliver and Derby missed some great chances on that day. They should have had the game won, but something was written in the stars as far as I was concerned.

“We deserved it because of the efforts we had put in the seasons before that.

“I can remember pulling up at the gates going down Wembley Way and seeing the sea of blue and thinking ‘we can’t disappoint them again.’

0_GettyImages-81789045.jpg
Leicester's Steve Walsh celebrates his team's win against Derby in a Division One play-off final, 30th May 1994. Leicester won 2-1. (Image: Photo by Ben Radford/Getty Images)
“It was heartbreaking what the fans were going through in the first two finals as well as the players who also played in those games.

“It hurts to lose those games. I remember after the Swindon one when we were led onto the pitch that REM song was playing ‘Everybody hurts’. We were thinking, ‘this isn’t going to happen to us again this year.’

“Derby had probably better technical players but we had the spirit and the fight, and we beat them. The fighting spirit came through.

“We played better in the Swindon final, which was a terrific game. There was more controversy as when we got back to 3-3 there was only going to be one winner, but then we lost in the way we did and it was devastating.”

Walsh will be watching on keenly to see which of City’s Midlands rivals will be lining up against them in the Premier League next season.

“I was pleased both of them made it through to the final,” Walsh said.

“It is such a big final. I want to be playing against one of them next season because derbies are such big games, with Wolves as well.

“I love the games we play against them.

“Villa are favourites and are probably the better team but don’t underestimate Derby because they have the same spirit we had. It might be their turn. You never know.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/former-foxes-captain-steve-walsh-2909867

Just now, pds said:

Scott Taylor was up there as one of my favourite players. Such a shame the injuries ruined him.

We had a great midfield with Taylor's industry and Parker's class. Then the signing of Lennon and Izzet pushed us to the next level. Credit to O'Neill for changing McGhee's team, which would probably have gone up but come straight back down. 

16 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Look at the scoreboard. Forgot that Parker's penalty equaliser came with 14 minutes of normal time left. It seemed much later in my memory.

We played well that day but never really created many dangerous chances. So I think the penalty was a massive outpouring of relief that felt almost like a last minute equaliser. It was such a tense, evenly-matched game. More gripping than exciting.