Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

On This Day Thread - On Going

42 minutes ago, davieG said:

A great day. My son's first "proper" game. He loved it. Whilst I sat there wondering how the hell Wes would cope in the Prem, and wondering if we'd survive.

If you'd tapped me on the shoulder and said "don't worry son, in two years time we'll win the Premier League" .....

13 hours ago, tom27111 said:

I went round to my then girlfriends house in Luton where I was living at the time. Said I didn't want to watch the Chelsea game, I'd see the score once it had finished. 

Had a sneaky peek at my phone and saw it was 2-0, then checked again and Cahill had scored. Whipped out the laptop, got the game on straight away!

Went absolutely batshit crazy when Hazard scored, she just stared at me, not quite understanding what was going on!

On the final whistle, I expected tears, but they didn't come.  They do now looking back at it!

I went into the garden, lit a cigar and drank the house dry.

It didn't sink in for a long time.

I remember wearing that season's white shirt a lot whilst I walked around Luton, had cars hooting at me, waving and shouting "Leicester". 

One of my favourite moments from down there was when I got off the train at Luton station, wearing my city shirt, it might have been the day we played Man Utd away, but there were loads of Arsenal fans getting on the train to go down to the Emirates.

One of them looked at my shirt and said "What the fvck are you wearing?" I looked him dead in the eye and said "Championship winning material". 

The look on his face was priceless. Even other Arsenal fans were laughing at him. 

Guess you had to be there lol

"On the final whistle, I expected tears, but they didn't come.  They do now looking back at it"  Me too. Never quite understood that.

Edited by PaulW

3 hours ago, stripeyfox said:

If you'd tapped me on the shoulder and said "don't worry son, in two years time we'll win the Premier League" .....

That is the thing that always gets me about the title win. If someone had told you even a year earlier it would have been the most outlandish thing you'd ever heard.

3 hours ago, Corky said:

4th May 2008- Relegation to League One. Our proud record of always being in the top two divisions over.

Just a pitiful time.

Felt exactly that at the time, but, the darkest hour is before dawn, and what a dawn it’s been ever since really. 

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:49, Corky said:

4th May 2008- Relegation to League One. Our proud record of always being in the top two divisions over.

Just a pitiful time.

I remember thinking at the time that was it, that we may be kicking about the bottom few tiers for a decade. I thought at that point in my life I'd probably just forget about football. Got totally sucked back in the start of the following season and it's been pretty much a non-stop rollercoaster ride ever since.

On ‎04‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 11:49, Corky said:

Just a pitiful time.

and i assume that apart from those in stoke who could never forget, everyone remembers exactly where they were that afternoon ……. 

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It’s Deeney day ...... 

I remember going home from Watford that day wondering where we were going. It was such an odd defeat, added to a dreadful final three months of the season, with the future of the manager in serious doubt. Players like Vardy looking out of their depth.

But we managed to sort ourselves out and get to where we wanted. Even take out the Premier League title from the equation- I wanted us to be a progressive, ambitious club competing in the Premier League and looking to be in the top ten. We're doing that at the moment.