Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

The case for Top 4!

18 minutes ago, Jazzy_Jeff said:

I’m massively optimistic about this season. We’re building momentum whilst our competition are going the other way. The biggest thing for me is our squad depth. We’ve got two decent 11’s and I genuinely don’t think the others outside of City and Liverpool have:

GK - Schmeichel/Ward

RB - Ricardo/Justin 

LB - Chigwell/Fuchs

CB - Evans/Morgan 

CB - Soyuncu/Benkovic

CM - Ndidi/Mendy

CM - Tielemans/Choudhury

CM - Maddison/Praet

RW - Perez/Gray

LW - Barnes/Albrighton

ST - Vardy/Iheanacho 

There seems to have been some rotation already which shows the faith BR has in our whole squad. 

Would like Iheanacho to get some minutes as looked sharp in preseason 

Good post Jeff!

Couple of things.... Mendy for me is more a luxury this season as I'd have him as a third defensive midfielder behind Ndidi and Hamza to bring on to close games out and play cup the odd cup game.

Whilst Hamza is more than a CDM but not exactly box to box he's not yet ready to unseat Ndidi in a 4141 sadly but may well start in a diamond or midfield 3 formation.

Wingers... well we have wingers all with exceptional individual attributes but have they got at least 10 goals in them each? Hmm.

Iheanacho definitely squad and I want him to work with Brendan but if Vardy gets a long term injury next week.... I'm not sure we have anything like a player who can stand in?

So to be leaning toward a top 4 spot - this season or any other it still feels to me that we need those areas strengthening which we arguably missed out on in the summer, which to me means, immediate top quality still needed in the striker & arguably winger dept and next season we'll need a new left back, another centre back and an extra central attacking midfielder to boot... And thats without selling anybody. 

Because of the above I still think we are looking at around 6th this season but if we managed to get through to January injury free then there's always a shot I suppose but anybody who wants fourth place, it's for me about dislodging Arsenal, as Spurs when they have a full compliment of players, should make third easily.

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Good post Jeff!

Couple of things.... Mendy for me is more a luxury this season as I'd have him as a third defensive midfielder behind Ndidi and Hamza to bring on to close games out and play cup the odd cup game.

Whilst Hamza is more than a CDM but not exactly box to box he's not yet ready to unseat Ndidi in a 4141 sadly but may well start in a diamond or midfield 3 formation.

Wingers... well we have wingers all with exceptional individual attributes but have they got at least 10 goals in them each? Hmm.

Iheanacho definitely squad and I want him to work with Brendan but if Vardy gets a long term injury next week.... I'm not sure we have anything like a player who can stand in?

So to be leaning toward a top 4 spot - this season or any other it still feels to me that we need those areas strengthening which we arguably missed out on in the summer, which to me means, immediate top quality still needed in the striker & arguably winger dept and next season we'll need a new left back, another centre back and an extra central attacking midfielder to boot... And thats without selling anybody. 

Because of the above I still think we are looking at around 6th this season but if we managed to get through to January injury free then there's always a shot I suppose but anybody who wants fourth place, it's for me about dislodging Arsenal, as Spurs when they have a full compliment of players, should make third easily.

I agree with your comments on centre mids, I just put it like that as vary system from one holding to two and I think Choudhury can play as an 8 if we need him to.

winger wise I’m happy. Albrighton is hugely underrated and for me is a must against the bigger sides. I have huge faith in Barnes and Gray (who I think BR is going to turn into a superstar) and Perez will start getting on the scoresheet soon. 

My only slight reservation is on iheanacho playing up top for long periods if Vardy gets injured. My guess is BR would turn to Perez if not working out. 

Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and Utd have looked  poor imo. Wolves and Everton look weaker too so it’s ours for the taking 

Very unconvinced 

The major difference between a Champions League spot and a Europa League one is you need to finish above all of the struggling top six teams where as with the Europa League you only need one of them to have a bad year, and I find it hard to believe all of them will have bad enough seasons to allow us to finish above them. I still think we will struggle with the kind of consistency needed to sustain a top placing in the league at the moment, but we will see. A Europa League birth is definitely on this year if we can keep this up, Everton look like the only other team capable of gate crashing the top six and Chelsea are going to struggle and will not sack Lampard until he is given a chance with some money. Ole will have to improve or go eventually and if he does United could be a threat again if they appoint the right man (god know who) and tbf to Arsenal they have look very good at times, that defense is a car crash though.

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Koke said:

2 months later, how we feeling? 

Win on Saturday and we go 9 points clear. 

It's doable, but I'd feel more confident if Chelsea fcked up a bit. Arsenal will probably sack Emery and their new manager should get their squad working at the level they should be at. Spurs could remember how to play football.

2 hours ago, Koke said:

I still see it game at a time. Arsenal next, can move 9 clear of them (not necessarily 5th though). Either way, we will be in Top 4 during the international break.

Then we have some "favourable" games which in current form, we will pick up plenty of points on. If we continue to pick up points in the games where we should, then we will be comfortably Top 5.

Next checkpoint after this weekend is probably Christmas (after the Norwich match, before City/Liverpool), then again after New Years Day fixtures. A lot can happen around that period. Early Jan will be a good indicator of where we can go. Still only 11 games in at the minute.

So far, so good...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

It's doable, but I'd feel more confident if Chelsea fcked up a bit. Arsenal will probably sack Emery and their new manager should get their squad working at the level they should be at. Spurs could remember how to play football.

Chelsea are looking strong, good young players like us with a good mix of experience. Can't see them collapse. Think they will get 3rd.

Southampton had 25 points at this stage in 2014/2015 and finished 7th on 60 points. Think we should still play it game by game and see where we are at Christmas.

Equally even if that also happens to us, that would still be more points and a better finish than previous seasons which I would be happy with. If we’re around the 40 point mark at Christmas, we’re in a great spot for a European tour :beer:

4 hours ago, Koke said:

It's a crucial game. Win and I'd say yes I think we will get top 4, and I'd say even a draw is a decent result as it keeps the gap at quite a nice margin with a nice run of games coming up. As it stands I think we will win and Emery gets sacked afterwards!

The table is currently mental, I can't recall one looking like this at this stage of the season. You have one team way out in front in Liverpool, then 3 teams duking it out for second in Man City, Chelsea and us, then a 6 point difference separates 5th to 17th (!) and then finally a relegation battle of 3 teams who already look like they need to catch up fast. The table actually has a bit of a Championship feel to it if anything. You'd expect Man City to be closer to Liverpool than they are but if they lose at Anfield on Sunday then I think that's the title gone and they seriously need to watch out for Chelsea and ourselves. They have a poor defence which will cost them more points than last season I feel.

Table.thumb.png.b59bd599f55f62969d662e0109df5ca4.png

For us the key is not being complacent, which is why it's good to see Rodgers saying he's not thinking about league position until there are 10 games left to go. Sometimes having a big gap means you take games for granted because you can "afford to lose" and then all of a sudden a winning mentality gets replaced with a losing one. Something Rodgers did very well in preseason was getting us focused on winning games even then. Get a team used to winning and they tend to win more games! Worked for us in 15/16 :)

On 03/09/2019 at 04:35, SheppyFox said:

Oh spare me the positivity, you little girls will be calling for brendans head if we lose 3-4 in a row.

Holy Crap its the beginning of November and I still agree with your comment.:fishing:

Edited by SO1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

It's a crucial game. Win and I'd say yes I think we will get top 4, and I'd say even a draw is a decent result as it keeps the gap at quite a nice margin with a nice run of games coming up. As it stands I think we will win and Emery gets sacked afterwards!

The table is currently mental, I can't recall one looking like this at this stage of the season. You have one team way out in front in Liverpool, then 3 teams duking it out for second in Man City, Chelsea and us, then a 6 point difference separates 5th to 17th (!) and then finally a relegation battle of 3 teams who already look like they need to catch up fast. The table actually has a bit of a Championship feel to it if anything. You'd expect Man City to be closer to Liverpool than they are but if they lose at Anfield on Sunday then I think that's the title gone and they seriously need to watch out for Chelsea and ourselves. They have a poor defence which will cost them more points than last season I feel.

Table.thumb.png.b59bd599f55f62969d662e0109df5ca4.png

For us the key is not being complacent, which is why it's good to see Rodgers saying he's not thinking about league position until there are 10 games left to go. Sometimes having a big gap means you take games for granted because you can "afford to lose" and then all of a sudden a winning mentality gets replaced with a losing one. Something Rodgers did very well in preseason was getting us focused on winning games even then. Get a team used to winning and they tend to win more games! Worked for us in 15/16 :)

Rodgers really protected Liverpool 13/14 from the crazy hype that surrounded it. Lose a match and they were up for it 110% the next. No drop off.

Guarantee Rodgers will sound like a drone as we keep on winning. How many ways can you say one game at a time?

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

Rodgers really protected Liverpool 13/14 from the crazy hype that surrounded it. Lose a match and they were up for it 110% the next. No drop off.

Guarantee Rodgers will sound like a drone as we keep on winning. How many ways can you say one game at a time?

- We aren't getting carried away

- "Zlowly zlowly"

- First we must reach 40 points

- I try not to think about it

- Every day is a new challenge

- We did well but we know we can do better

- It was a decent result but we move onto the next game now (after a 9-0 win!)

- We just have to remember what's got us here

- We'll analyse the match and go again next week

Hopefully Brendan has more than I do!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Koke said:

Long way to go still for me and a big weekend ahead, but more optimistic than I was, we’ve probably done about as well as I thought we could do to our credit but the total shit shows at Man U and Spurs are a very welcome bonus. Thought either could struggle but not to this extent.

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

- We aren't getting carried away

- "Zlowly zlowly"

- First we must reach 40 points

- I try not to think about it

- Every day is a new challenge

- We did well but we know we can do better

- It was a decent result but we move onto the next game now (after a 9-0 win!)

- We just have to remember what's got us here

- We'll analyse the match and go again next week

Hopefully Brendan has more than I do!

He gets a lot of stick still but he actually has become a Zen Warrior at press speak since he started at Celtic. 

First thing I noticed when he started that job was how cool, calm and collected he was while saying nothing.

Its really an art form to say nothing and make it sound like something.

Enjoy watching him give the reporters just enough info for stories but not enough so they can twist it into something they can create drama with.

Edited by SO1

With a small squad like ours, you're only a few injuries away from losing momentum. I think Spurs will definitely improve but Arsenal have been a joke for a few years, so can't see much change there. We'll finish between 3-5, depending how injury free we remain. 

4th is a really big ask but not out of the question. Outside of the top two, ourselves and Chelsea have shown the most consistency and neither of us have the potential managerial or off the field problems the other two potentially have, particularly Spurs. I also feel that we have got good squad depth with the exception of a second string striker nearly as good as Vardy. In most other positions we have the ability to mix and match.

I feel that the Premiership should be the absolute focus of our efforts and utilise and make ready squad members in our cup matches. 6th should still be seen as a great result though.