Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

The case for Top 4!

Take each game at a time, then we’ll see where we stand. Over the course of the season, I’d like to think we’ll cement our top half position.

We’ve had a very good start, however it’s only 4 games; albeit that’s over 10% of the season. Rogers has a winning mentality and we’ve adapted to higher pressing approach, further up the pitch. With us playing this way, the factor would be burnout. Christmas could be rough, with games on heavier pitches against Man City, Liverpool and West Ham. I can see us getting rolled over by West Ham away after a heavy pressing game on Boxing Day. 

We’ve got a major advantage, by not playing in Europe this season. Something which teams like Wolves, Man U, Chelsea and Spurs etc do have.

In Vardy we’ve got goals and a great supply line to him in Tielmans and Maddison. The concern is a Vardy injury, as at that point I believe we’ll lack consistent goals. Everton, Wolves, Man U all lack a forward as good as Vardy. West Ham have Haller and he’s looked solid so far. 

Defensively, Cags has looked solid so far. I can see teams pressing him and allowing Evans to play with the ball more. Cags will either have to lump it, or will get caught trying to play out from the back. I think he looked more comfortable with Fuchs at his side, as he’s more defensively assured than Chilwell. Another concern is an injury to Evans. We all briefed a sign of relief when he was able to continue at the weekend. Another thing to consider is how we deal with teams that play wingers, that force our fullback to defend deeper. It’ll be interesting to see how Ricardo deals with James when we play Manchester United. We can’t allow him room to move into. Another consideration is how we deal with deep crosses towards Ricardo, as he’s not the greatest in the air. I could see Someone like Origi giving us a major headache when we play Liverpool as a forward three, as he’ll play wide and drop onto Ricardo. 

Technically, I think we’ll deal with teams like Man City better than most. I think we’re more likely to lose the games that prey on our defensive inexperience / weaknesses. In those games, I’d anticipate we’ll play both Ndidi and Hamza. 

3 hours ago, Koke said:

The critics will say we have only played Wolves, Chelsea, Sheffield United and Bournemouth. But here's a case for why we can do it

- Our first 11 is at the very least on par with United, Chelsea and Arsenal. 

- Chelsea and United are dropping points against teams we were dropping points against last season. United 0-1 Palace & Chelsea 2-2 Sheff Utd was classic LCFC results last season.

- Our manager is better than 2 out of 3. Emery has better CV than Rodgers but BR is better than Ole and Lampard.

- We have a legit 20 goal striker. Only Arsenal have more firepower up front. 

So not saying we are dead certain for top 4 but its not unrealistic to target it. Everton may also be in the mix with us. Spurs will finish 3rd IMO but it helps that they are wobbling at the moment.

I agree with a lot of what you say.  I don't think Spurs are far ahead of us.  Which of their players would be nailed on to improve our side?  Like most of last season's top six, I would  only want a couple for us.

I think we are better than Everton and Wolves, both strong sides.  But I think West Ham are dangerous.  Heller could make a difference for them;  he looks brilliant.

Too early for me but don't take that as me totally ruling it out either. The problem is it just takes one comfortable loss at Old Trafford, which as dodgy as they are, isn't impossble by any means to totally change mindsets.

That said if we win that game I think the belief really will grow.

The next four are a real good test for me. You've got two games we'll be underdogs in but both of them where you can build a case for us gettng something, the leagues biggest bus parkers at home (who've won here the last two years playing this way, a good test to see how we are against that kind of side now) and then probably the leagues toughest fixture away.

If we come out of this month still quite high up then you've got to fancy us to do something this year because the four games between the next two internationals look a lot more favourable.

• Like 1

After 4 games it's to early. Plus the Wolves game wasn't great and first half Chelsea we were poor. I think we controlled the Sheffield United and Bournemouth games though. I'd prefer to make a judgement after 9 or 10 games. The next two are massive tests for us.

Top 4 is a real push but I took 25/1 about it start of season (now 9s). Top 6 more realistic and 6/1 pre season was too big. Now 11/4 which is about the right price: we are about three times more likely to finish outside the top 6 than we are to finish in it.

1 hour ago, Mythyaar said:

Top 4 is a real push but I took 25/1 about it start of season (now 9s). Top 6 more realistic and 6/1 pre season was too big. Now 11/4 which is about the right price: we are about three times more likely to finish outside the top 6 than we are to finish in it.

The betting chap guest from Paddy Power on Talksport this evening said we were now 6/1 to make top 4 which I find remarkably short odds after only 4 games. 

You’re laughing if your 25/1 comes in. Good luck :thumbup:

• Like 1

I have no idea yet if we have what it takes to steal a top 6 place, never mind top 4.  I do know there’s never been and may never be again a better opportunity for a side like ours to do it.

Lets see where we’re standing in two months.  Right now we’re undefeated, but have looked terrible with seemingly the manager’s preferred starting 11.  His ability to adjust may be what tells the tale.

Edited by Deeg67

I swear 2 shows i listened to on Talksport before the start of the season both scoffed at Leicester and Wolves being near the top 6 even. Now the same 2 shows were both tipping us to challenge for top 4.

The knowledge about any teams outside the "big 6" has always been laughable throughout the media. Our title win did nothing to change that.

Next four games will tell a lot.   I splashed cash on bets on Top 4 and Top 6 and am pretty happy with the bets so far = plus a side bet with a Wolves supporter on who would finish higher.....  do think there's more gears in there - like second half Chelsea - imagine if we could play like that all game...lets hope none of the international players pick up injuries on the road...

I love the optimism but it's too early to say anything when we've only played four games. We could be mid table if we lose against Manchester United next time out. If we are still around the top 4 at Christmas then yes believe that something special could happen again.

11 hours ago, murphy said:

I can just imagine the derision on this forum if we found the same thread title on the Everton or Wolves forum for instance.  We would be calling them delusional fools

I dont see why we should laugh at Everton for thinking they could finish top 4/6. It's a realistic aim for them.

Although Joseph Yobo went a bit too far maybe :D

Screenshot_20190903-091657_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8941badefbbde0b14d314ef222db9ad8.jpg

I’m massively optimistic about this season. We’re building momentum whilst our competition are going the other way. The biggest thing for me is our squad depth. We’ve got two decent 11’s and I genuinely don’t think the others outside of City and Liverpool have:

GK - Schmeichel/Ward

RB - Ricardo/Justin 

LB - Chigwell/Fuchs

CB - Evans/Morgan 

CB - Soyuncu/Benkovic

CM - Ndidi/Mendy

CM - Tielemans/Choudhury

CM - Maddison/Praet

RW - Perez/Gray

LW - Barnes/Albrighton

ST - Vardy/Iheanacho 

There seems to have been some rotation already which shows the faith BR has in our whole squad. 

Would like Iheanacho to get some minutes as looked sharp in preseason 

• Like 1