Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

The case for Top 4!

This is definitely a glorious opportunity to finish higher than Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd this season. Possibly even Spurs, if their Spursy run continues. And it would be fantastic, too. If we do though we need to cap it off with a stormer of a window next summer - keep ahold of everyone, and bring in more players that can challenge for the first XI.

We proved in 2016/17 that we were capable of playing in the Champions League, but the strain on the squad of coping with that and PL football (and other obvious reasons) lead to some dreadful league form and an implosion of sorts. The same thing happened to Burnley and may well happen to Wolves this season. 

Which is why it's good that we didn't qualify last season but brought in Brendan - we finally have a top class manager that is galvanising an already top quality squad that can prepare for sustainable European football.

• Like 1

I enjoy the responses to this sort of thread :)

coins.gif.9769a174448ebd4fe29227894676e04b.gif

Top 4      We      Ask me      Don’t

Nailed     Can       when        even

On       Do It      we hit        dare

40 pts.      say It!

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, Koke said:

The critics will say we have only played Wolves, Chelsea, Sheffield United and Bournemouth. But here's a case for why we can do it

- Our first 11 is at the very least on par with United, Chelsea and Arsenal. 

- Chelsea and United are dropping points against teams we were dropping points against last season. United 0-1 Palace & Chelsea 2-2 Sheff Utd was classic LCFC results last season.

- Our manager is better than 2 out of 3. Emery has better CV than Rodgers but BR is better than Ole and Lampard.

- We have a legit 20 goal striker. Only Arsenal have more firepower up front. 

So not saying we are dead certain for top 4 but its not unrealistic to target it. Everton may also be in the mix with us. Spurs will finish 3rd IMO but it helps that they are wobbling at the moment.

Thats a difficult first four fixtures. Sheff Utd will still have momentum from last year and have showed they might be a nuisance to most in this league, Bournemouth the easiest but we've struggled against them since they've became a PL club. I'd have taken 6 or 7 points but it wouldn't have been impossible to have came away with a couple. 8 is a great return and any thoughts of top 4/6 have only increased with our potential rivals dropping points against lesser sides already.

The next 4 are very difficult, i'd take 4, maybe 5 at a push but thats maybe still with the mindset of a few years ago where Man Utd/Spurs/Liverpool should roll us over. Newcastle at home have been difficult for us over the last few years with their lack of attacking intent. I'd very happily take 3 pts from either Man Utd/Spurs.

1 hour ago, boots60 said:

Agree with all but the last bit. I know it's early days but Spurs are imploding far earlier than usual & I would be very surprised if they make the top 4.

As for Everton,  they can't score for toffee (no pun intended)

They'll be fine this season at least. A lot of their poor performance has been down to Levy's mismanagement of Eriksen and Vertonghen's contacts by letting them run down (and to a lesser extent Alderweireld) which has led to a lot of off-pitch drama. Some of the rest was down to some injury problems for Dele and Ndombele.

The team's cohesion already looks to be healing with Poch's comments and Eriksen and Vertonghen starting. As Lo Celso and Ndombele are fully integrated into the squad, we'll start to see some real form from them imo. It won't take long for their front four (Dele, Eriksen, Son, Kane) to click either, they have good chemistry and have clicked well before. Their only problems are fullbacks really. 

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

It's happening again...

It's happening again...

Foxes Talk

Is getting carried away again.

You're right, of course.

But I'm approaching 50, and I reserve the right to get a bit giddy about our prospects - life is worrying enough, so I'm going to get carried away (within reason!)

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You're right, of course.

But I'm approaching 50, and I reserve the right to get a bit giddy about our prospects - life is worrying enough, so I'm going to get carried away (within reason!)

It's not the optimism I object to, football is about dreaming to paraphrase Don Claudio (although 4th is a bit of a stretch). 

I can just imagine the derision on this forum if we found the same thread title on the Everton or Wolves forum for instance.  We would be calling them delusional fools.

The Sheff U post match thread is still fresh in my mind and apparently we could forget about breaking into the top six.  We're too pedestrian, we don't create anything...

One very good performance later and we're potentially Champions League!

Lose to Man Utd and we'll be mid-table fodder again.

We're like a bunch of kids.  Honestly!

• Like 1

Just now, murphy said:

It's not the optimism I object to, football is about dreaming to paraphrase Don Claudio (although 4th is a bit of a stretch). 

I can just imagine the derision on this forum if we found the same thread title on the Everton or Wolves forum for instance.  We would be calling them delusional fools.

The Sheff U post match thread is still fresh in my mind and apparently we could forget about breaking into the top six.  We're too pedestrian, we don't create anything...

One very good performance later and we're potentially Champions League!

Lose to Man Utd and we'll be mid-table fodder again.

We're like a bunch of kids.  Honestly!

Points taken, absolutely.

However, couldn't care less what fans of other teams think. As for our match threads, they seem to attract a very curious cross-section of our support, and always swing wildly on every misplaced pass. People react before they think - some never think at all.

I'm happy to embrace my inner child, I have no issue with that - while the team is up there, I'm going to enjoy the possibilities :) 

• Like 2

The standings will take care of themselves. Just want to see the club fight for the win every week. Nothing more. Everything else is gravy.

This place is just like everywhere else. I'll leave you to the fret and worry. Doesn't mean I won't be yelling at the TV just like you. :scarf: