Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fuchsntf

After Brexit .Outside-UK travels.

Just thought it might warrant its own Topic,for easy reference...

I myself have no worries,but have seen several UK TV advertisements, suggesting would be Travellers to inform themselves,for holidays and travel after October this year..

Are there Major concerns,Organisational or difficulty wise..??

Anybody Experience problems for future planned Overseas excursions.....??

I saw that you should check your passport if it will be valid in the EU, which I find bizarre. I've never travelled outside the EU, but I've never heard you need a different passport to travel to other places. Visas for some places, obviously, but that's in addition, it's not another passport.

Anyone shed some light?

Edit: seems it's just that you'll need 6 months left on your passport. If you have less, you'll need to renew. Won't affect me for a while, but I think it's annoying. You pay for a 10 yr passport, not a 9 yr 6 mths one.

Edit edit: unless you're going to Ireland, in which case this doesn't apply.

Edit edit edit: This is all assuming no deal brexit.

Edit edit edit edit: So keep checking every day cos' who frikking knows?!

Edited by Trav Le Bleu
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I saw that you should check your passport if it will be valid in the EU, which I find bizarre. I've never travelled outside the EU, but I've never heard you need a different passport to travel to other places. Visas for some places, obviously, but that's in addition, it's not another passport.

Anyone shed some light?

Edit: seems it's just that you'll need 6 months left on your passport. If you have less, you'll need to renew. Won't affect me for a while, but I think it's annoying. You pay for a 10 yr passport, not a 9 yr 6 mths one.

Edit edit: unless you're going to Ireland, in which case this doesn't apply.

Edit edit edit: This is all assuming no deal brexit.

Edit edit edit edit: So keep checking every day cos' who frikking knows?!

I believe they do this because its possible to stay in places for 6 months without a visa before you must return or leave the country. So if you could stay in say Canada for 6 months without a visa, your passport has 5 months left then clearly you'd be travelling on an expired passport OR might stay. Something like that. Bit silly if your ticket returns before it expires but is what it is.

2 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Wife is looking to book to go to Disney in France next year. I'm not overly keen but clearly I'll lose this 'discussion'.

What should we be aware of?

That you will go on 1 ride then spend the rest of the trip looking for a food group that is not brown or a varient of brown in colour

1 hour ago, oxford blue said:

I read this has changed - so you only get 10 years from application date

Yes, we went away in April just before Brexit was due to happen and the extra added on to my passport didn't count so I had to renew it before we went, even though it had months left 

Claim asylum in Germany and get yourself a card that allows you to travel all over the Schengen Countries without a Visa.  Post Brexit my rights living in Austria are inferior to that of a Syrian Refugee.    So working in the UK for 35 years without claiming a single days' un-employment benefit and paying Tax and NI Contributions was well worth it. 

Edited by mozartfox
  • Like 1

On 26/09/2019 at 21:13, FoxesDeb said:

Yes, we went away in April just before Brexit was due to happen and the extra added on to my passport didn't count so I had to renew it before we went, even though it had months left 

And then Brexit was delayed 6 months, so technically it would have been fine, I guess :doh:

6 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Claim asylum in Germany and get yourself a card that allows you to travel all over the Schengen Countries without a Visa.  Post Brexit my rights living in Austria are inferior to that of a Syrian Refugee.    So working in the UK for 35 years without claiming a single days' un-employment benefit and paying Tax and NI Contributions was well worth it. 

But you still won't need a visa to travel (for stays of up to 90 days). Regarding a right to reside in Austria, that would be dependent upon Austria; EU nationals living in Britain can remain indefinitely (if they apply for settled status by 2020). OtherEU countries have not reciprocated the UK position - it is nothing to with whether you have worked and paid taxes in UK.