Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

ITV could bring back Champions League

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/itv-could-bring-champions-league-back-to-terrestrial-tv-605gjvjvw

ITV could bring Champions League back to terrestrial TV

ITV is set to bid to bring the Champions League back to terrestrial TV when Uefa holds its auction of British broadcast rights

Uefa sent the tender for the 2021-24 rights to interested broadcasters in the UK this week, and it is understood both ITV and Sky are poised to mount a serious challenge to BT Sport which holds the exclusive rights at the moment.

ITV and Sky used to hold the joint rights for the tournament until 2015 when they were blown out of the water by the size of BT’s bid. Since then however, the lack of a terrestrial media partner has meant that Uefa has had to accept much lower public exposure in the UK for its flagship club competition.

The tender document has split the rights up into several different packages, and broadcasters can even bid for a dedicated package to just show the Champions League final. There is also a slight alteration in the time that matches in the early slot will kick off, changing from 5.55pm to 5.45pm.

If ITV is to be successful, it would probably do something similar to the past with a package of one or two live matches on either a Tuesday or Wednesday, with a pay-TV broadcaster having the rights to all the other games. The final has to be shown on free-to-air television, as part of Uefa’s broadcast deal.

Uefa may struggle to match the £1.18 billion paid by BT over three years for the 2018-21 rights in the last auction in 2017. The Premier League experienced a fall of 7.5 per cent in the value of its UK rights for 2019-22, and BT has come under pressure to reduce spending.

Relations between Sky and Uefa soured in 2015 after BT won the rights, with the then Sky managing director Barney Francis claiming viewing figures for the Champions League had plummeted since 2010 and accounted for “just 2.5 per cent of Sky Sports viewing”.

Since then there have been concerted attempts to re-build bridges and Sky’s purchase of Nations League rights from Uefa was seen as a sign they were preparing to go head-to-head again with BT for the Champions League.

Uefa’s tender document also lumps together the rights for its new third-tier tournament, the Europa Conference League, with the Europa League. There will be one English representative in the Europa Conference — the winner of next season’s Carabao Cup.

3 hours ago, TK95 said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/itv-could-bring-champions-league-back-to-terrestrial-tv-605gjvjvw

ITV could bring Champions League back to terrestrial TV

ITV is set to bid to bring the Champions League back to terrestrial TV when Uefa holds its auction of British broadcast rights

Uefa sent the tender for the 2021-24 rights to interested broadcasters in the UK this week, and it is understood both ITV and Sky are poised to mount a serious challenge to BT Sport which holds the exclusive rights at the moment.

ITV and Sky used to hold the joint rights for the tournament until 2015 when they were blown out of the water by the size of BT’s bid. Since then however, the lack of a terrestrial media partner has meant that Uefa has had to accept much lower public exposure in the UK for its flagship club competition.

The tender document has split the rights up into several different packages, and broadcasters can even bid for a dedicated package to just show the Champions League final. There is also a slight alteration in the time that matches in the early slot will kick off, changing from 5.55pm to 5.45pm.

If ITV is to be successful, it would probably do something similar to the past with a package of one or two live matches on either a Tuesday or Wednesday, with a pay-TV broadcaster having the rights to all the other games. The final has to be shown on free-to-air television, as part of Uefa’s broadcast deal.

Uefa may struggle to match the £1.18 billion paid by BT over three years for the 2018-21 rights in the last auction in 2017. The Premier League experienced a fall of 7.5 per cent in the value of its UK rights for 2019-22, and BT has come under pressure to reduce spending.

Relations between Sky and Uefa soured in 2015 after BT won the rights, with the then Sky managing director Barney Francis claiming viewing figures for the Champions League had plummeted since 2010 and accounted for “just 2.5 per cent of Sky Sports viewing”.

Since then there have been concerted attempts to re-build bridges and Sky’s purchase of Nations League rights from Uefa was seen as a sign they were preparing to go head-to-head again with BT for the Champions League.

Uefa’s tender document also lumps together the rights for its new third-tier tournament, the Europa Conference League, with the Europa League. There will be one English representative in the Europa Conference — the winner of next season’s Carabao Cup.

So the League Cup winner doesnt even get a Europa League spot anymore ffs lol

• Like 1

This is good.

Its terrestrial football on tv thats actually worth watching. The champions league this season has been great to watch and always carries entertainment.

No disrespect to the history and traditions of the fa cup but bbc stuck on millwall v watford at 12.30 on a sunday last season or season before that.

With all respect unless youre a fan of those teams, is it REALLY worth bidding to put 90 mins of that on your channel?

Compare that to a bit of Spurs v Bayern, or Liverpool v Salzburg..... or coming from 3 down in the 2nd leg v Barcelona....thats what its all about.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Donk said:

No disrespect to the history and traditions of the fa cup but bbc stuck on millwall v watford at 12.30 on a sunday last season or season before that.

With all respect unless youre a fan of those teams, is it REALLY worth bidding to put 90 mins of that on your channel?

To be honest, it probably is. What else are the Beeb showing on a Sunday afternoon? You'll get a bigger crowd watching an FA Cup match, regardless of how appealing it is on paper – over what, their usual repeat of Escape to the Country?

Good. I hope they get it.

ITV's football coverage is a million times better than it used to be, in the dark days of Adrian Chiles.

Even if it's a highlights show once a week and live coverage of the knockout rounds.

The Champions League shouldn't be behind a pay wall.

10 hours ago, Donk said:

This is good.

Its terrestrial football on tv thats actually worth watching. The champions league this season has been great to watch and always carries entertainment.

Compare that to a bit of Spurs v Bayern, or Liverpool v Salzburg..... or coming from 3 down in the 2nd leg v Barcelona....thats what its all about.

People will moan if they always put on Chelsea, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. It's nice for teams like us or Watford or lower league oppositions to be on TV. That's what the FA Cup is all about. A mix of potential giant killing and top teams facing each other.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Langston said:

To be honest, it probably is. What else are the Beeb showing on a Sunday afternoon? You'll get a bigger crowd watching an FA Cup match, regardless of how appealing it is on paper – over what, their usual repeat of Escape to the Country?

Well i dont know how much it costs to bid for the fa cup but i cant imagine its cheap.

You then get "giant killing" type games put on but the better side inevitably rests a lot of their players because they arent interested.

I cant imagine some of these games pull in many neutrals really.

The champions league sees europes best lock horns with no quarters given...as a neutral do you want to see Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski on your tv or Jonjo O'Toole vs Brightons reserve left back??

4 hours ago, Donk said:

Well i dont know how much it costs to bid for the fa cup but i cant imagine its cheap.

You then get "giant killing" type games put on but the better side inevitably rests a lot of their players because they arent interested.

I cant imagine some of these games pull in many neutrals really.

The champions league sees europes best lock horns with no quarters given...as a neutral do you want to see Mbappe, Messi, Ronaldo, Lewandowski on your tv or Jonjo O'Toole vs Brightons reserve left back??

I'm clearly not saying the FA Cup is more lucrative or more appealing than the Champions League - I'm disputing your point that the FA Cup isn't worth the BBC's time or money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Good. I hope they get it.

ITV's football coverage is a million times better than it used to be, in the dark days of Adrian Chiles.

Even if it's a highlights show once a week and live coverage of the knockout rounds.

The Champions League shouldn't be behind a pay wall.

You must have a different ITV to the rest of us then. I hope they get the CL because it's always worth a watch but their football commentators/coverage is shite. If they can replace the likes of Martin Tyler and Glenn Hoddle then it would make it much  more attractive.

7 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It's effectively the cup winners cup getting resurrected. 

I wish I could find the Jasper Carrot skit where he talks about the European cup winners cup, winners cup, league cup winners trophy, trophy winners shield.

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

You must have a different ITV to the rest of us then. I hope they get the CL because it's always worth a watch but their football commentators/coverage is shite. If they can replace the likes of Martin Tyler and Glenn Hoddle then it would make it much  more attractive.

Don't rate Mark Pougatch either. He's got that annoying voice.

Also remember at the world cup he claimed Vardy is not on the same level as Rashford or Kane :blink:

Have a weird nostalgia feeling around the Champions League being on ITV, I’ll be glad if they pull this off and start hosting it again. 

I also miss the champions league final being played mid-week. I totally understand why they’ve moved it to a Saturday night and it’s much better but I dunno, I just miss it being on a Wednesday night. Does anybody know the last time the final was played during the week? I feel like Chelsea V Bayern was on a Wednesday but I might be mistaken. 

On 12/10/2019 at 20:19, Paninistickers said:

I like BT. Rio, Jake Humphrey (better than Gary - I don't know why they bother with him) , Hargreaves and even Glenn - I love his eccentricities.

Fletcher is the best commentator going, which is saying something considering I despise all things even remotely attached to Nottingham

Jake Humphrey is atrocious, genuinely the worst anchor on telly.

15 minutes ago, Manini said:

Have a weird nostalgia feeling around the Champions League being on ITV, I’ll be glad if they pull this off and start hosting it again. 

I also miss the champions league final being played mid-week. I totally understand why they’ve moved it to a Saturday night and it’s much better but I dunno, I just miss it being on a Wednesday night. Does anybody know the last time the final was played during the week? I feel like Chelsea V Bayern was on a Wednesday but I might be mistaken. 

United v Barca I think mate, where Etoo sent them on holiday, 2009