Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Wingers

We need a world class winger. All the 'big" clubs have one, some even two and they all chip in with goals/assists. If we want to be a 'big' club then it's what we need. Another striker and a new left back (at the end of the season) will be needed aswell, but that's for another day.

4 hours ago, car1os said:

Personally I think he's done a good thing... he's not said that they're crap, he's just trying to get the players to respond to a bit of public pressure and maximise performance.  It's clear that Maddison playing wide doesn't suit us, hence he needs to play in the middle with Tielemans.  Then of course who does he have in the middle out of Tielemans, Maddison, Ndidi, Choudhury and Praet.  Our style of play benefits from having wingers but we haven't quite found the right combination - Barnes is raw, Albrighton is not a goal-scoring winger, Perez is still adjusting, and Gray... well, he's got pace and skill but no consistency.

I'd be interested to see how Barnes gets on on the right wing and Albrighton on the left... I'm not the first to say this but I think Albrighton would combine well with Chilwell (plus give a bit more defensive stability) as Chillwell is great at getting forward but crossing is not his forte.  Barnes and Pereira on the right is quite a frightening prospect for opposing teams on our right side.  I think this combination would be a good mix of youth and experience on both flanks.

Lets see what Rodgers does from here...

I think it was a very real warning that makes me excited.

If we are still in and around top 4 in jan (and i for one think we will be) expect to see real money spent on at least 1 winger (or inside winger or whatever he wants, but a real statement signing)

I also think if we make top 4, the salaries we pay will also increase to the point that people like maguire dont automatically leave for double their wages.

Exciting times.

5 hours ago, Claridge said:

Just worries me , how the wingers must feel. Fantastic start to the season and he seems to be having a go at them .ranieri would never have done such a thing. God knows what he will be saying if we lose a few on the trot. Hopefully we never find out

Its a wake up call. It means don't be surprised when we buy another player to give the squad even more competition....and goals. 

Going to be even more difficult to get match time if they don't produce. Don't be surprised if you see some players sold or loaned in the winter window. (higher resale)

These aren't little boys they're grown men trained to compete in the best football league in the world. In training everyday.

Who will you all point the finger at if we don't get the goals that we need? Rodgers is here to win. Not run a summer camp for kids.

Never have I ever seen Rodgers dress down a single player in public EVER. Trying to start an agenda? or just being an apologist for under performing players.

4 hours ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Wouldn't suppose rodgers would come out and tell the world without telling the wingers first. This may also have been a way of saying something to the board by airing it in public. We are currently performing well despite the lack of goals and could be a gentle nudge that another winger wouldn't hurt to push us from January onwards. 

I hear what you are saying but I don't think so.

My guess is that he didn't see anything this summer that was available and was willing to see how our current players got on before dropping 50mil.

I have complete faith that Top will back him. Seems to be all in. Think we'll sell /loan players in the winter.

10 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

There's always many a foreign wingers name thrown into the pot on here like in the summer yet what do we really know about any of them? How many on here were raving on and on about Sarr who ended up at Watford and who has thus far been a disappointment, mainly due allegedly to his unwillingness to track back and work hard etc (perhaps 'superhorns' who visits us on here could clarify). Then there were those shouting about Jahanbaksh the year before who ended up at Brighton, hows he doing?

Ziyech, though undoubtedly talented, didn't he reportedly have huge temprement problems in his earlier days? Strange that a player lauded so much as a genius on here wasn't snapped up by a big club in the summer. I would think that there must have been reasons why we as a club weren't in for those three (though the latter apparently believes he's worthy of much better than teams like us). Our more recent signings by our current scouting network you have to say appear to have been excellent. The only one they allegedly didn't have real input inyo was Perez, a Rodgers signing and the jury is currently still out on him. Sometimes it's not an unwillingness to spend but more a club won't sell, a player doesn't fancy us or, us not wanting them for reasons we would never be aware of. 

Hit the the Nail on the Head. The post I was thinking about writing all day. I pray that our scouting doesn't blow a bundle on the supposed next great hope.

I want to feel like I did when @Ashley threw Perez's name out of the blue. It just felt right. A sublime and confident feeling.

Still feel Perez will come good to everyone's satisfaction.

Ricardo's a top right back and helps our game significantly from that position. I wouldn't be shocked if he was our best winger as well but I'd rather keep him at right back and focus on getting a natural wide forward in.

This position was my one worry in the summer and we didn't address it. We are doing well despite our wingers goals rather than because of them.

None of them are poor players but I do think unless there's a notable improvement we will do well to sustain this kind of position and keep getting the wins.

5 hours ago, SO1 said:

I hear what you are saying but I don't think so.

My guess is that he didn't see anything this summer that was available and was willing to see how our current players got on before dropping 50mil.

I have complete faith that Top will back him. Seems to be all in. Think we'll sell /loan players in the winter.

Yeah that's fair enough. In hindsight you are spot on, I'm sure the club would back rodgers with any player within reason as he has shown how good he has been in his time here. Think I'm getting cynical when it comes to football expecting them all to be calling out their boards to get what they want lol on a side note, really hope we look at Dani olmo or ferran torres in January if their respective sides are out the CL. 

5 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Ricardo's a top right back and helps our game significantly from that position. I wouldn't be shocked if he was our best winger as well but I'd rather keep him at right back and focus on getting a natural wide forward in.

This position was my one worry in the summer and we didn't address it. We are doing well despite our wingers goals rather than because of them.

None of them are poor players but I do think unless there's a notable improvement we will do well to sustain this kind of position and keep getting the wins.

Whilst I broadly agree, Barnes' sole goal won us 2 points, without which we'd probably be 7th or something.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Wouldn't have minded that Moussa Djenepo Southampton signed, he looks electric

He's comfortably been their best player so far and dare I say it looks a bit like Mane when he first signed for Southampton. Looks like a great piece of scouting.

I think the issue for Leicester is that we are after a player who is less raw and more the finished article. A Praet level player for the wings if you will. I've defended Perez a lot, but in the cold light of day a supposed Premier League experienced player that has not scored in 10 or so games is not living up to his transfer fee. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's another Ihenacho or Adrien Silva, but it doesn't look great so far. I would say that it appears to be a confidence issue as in pre-season he looked really good, but he's got to start banging in the goals and assists! That's what he was brought for after all.

And for those that say he wasn't / isn't a winger / inside forward, below is a picture of the lineups when Newcastle beat us at the King Power last season. Note where Perez (who scored the winner that day) was playing. 

Perez.thumb.png.572c2bca26cc0cbe2af47ff82fa810d9.png

The plus side about all this talk is that if our wingers were contributing to our game, we'd have even more points! We've already opened up a small gap on Arsenal and Palace and play them both in the next month... if we get points against those two it will help us sustain our push.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Whilst I broadly agree, Barnes' sole goal won us 2 points, without which we'd probably be 7th or something.

That's a fair point. I think Barnes' productivity is just about acceptable (and in fairness he's not started every game) but as a collective it's not really been good enough, it must be lower than the league average.

I appreciate this all comes across very picky because so far, we have found a way, but I don't think you can sustain a serious top 4 bid with such infrequent goals from your wide forwards / wingers. Considering it's something Rodgers specifically pointed out in the summer as well it's a problem.

It's not a bad problem though because for me it's one of those that if we sort it, we actually look comfortably top 4 in my opinion. That Arsenal performance yesterday was as bad as anything we've turned in under Rodgers as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, North Leeds Fox said:

Yeah that's fair enough. In hindsight you are spot on, I'm sure the club would back rodgers with any player within reason as he has shown how good he has been in his time here. Think I'm getting cynical when it comes to football expecting them all to be calling out their boards to get what they want lol on a side note, really hope we look at Dani olmo or ferran torres in January if their respective sides are out the CL. 

Sounds good. But will they produce(goals) with the same expectation as placed on Perez?

I doubt it given the step up to a consistently faster and more physical league. Just don't want to spend tens of millions on like for like.

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He's comfortably been their best player so far and dare I say it looks a bit like Mane when he first signed for Southampton. Looks like a great piece of scouting.

I think the issue for Leicester is that we are after a player who is less raw and more the finished article. A Praet level player for the wings if you will. I've defended Perez a lot, but in the cold light of day a supposed Premier League experienced player that has not scored in 10 or so games is not living up to his transfer fee. I wouldn't go as far as to say he's another Ihenacho or Adrien Silva, but it doesn't look great so far. I would say that it appears to be a confidence issue as in pre-season he looked really good, but he's got to start banging in the goals and assists! That's what he was brought for after all.

And for those that say he wasn't / isn't a winger / inside forward, below is a picture of the lineups when Newcastle beat us at the King Power last season. Note where Perez (who scored the winner that day) was playing. 

Perez.thumb.png.572c2bca26cc0cbe2af47ff82fa810d9.png

The plus side about all this talk is that if our wingers were contributing to our game, we'd have even more points! We've already opened up a small gap on Arsenal and Palace and play them both in the next month... if we get points against those two it will help us sustain our push.

I'm still comfortable giving Perez time, everything looks good except his shooting and we know he's done it before. Even going back to last season, Ricardo was still a relatice writeoff for many people on here by this time in the season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Wouldn't have minded that Moussa Djenepo Southampton signed, he looks electric

Leicester the New Liverpool. :ph34r: Hope he likes what he sees on Friday.

I'm not writing Perez off I don't think he's a bad player to have, but I don't think he really fixes our main problems going forward either and that's why I think the fee paid for him was a bit over the top.

If we'd gotten him and say.... Lozano (for example) I think I'd look at it a bit differently.

He may come good though. In fairness to him he's usually a steady 8-10 goals and that's in a poorer side than ours.

Have I been transported back to 2016? People still think Albrighton should start and is underrated.

Two goals and two assists in 27 league games last season. Zero goals and one assist in this calendar year. His only contributions of note have been to give away idiotic penalties at Newport and Liverpool that cost us both games.

Respect for past contributions, but seriously, there is no case for him to be anywhere near the side now apart from cup games against lower league opposition.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lovejoy said:

Have I been transported back to 2016? People still think Albrighton should start and is underrated.

Two goals and two assists in 27 league games last season. Zero goals and one assist in this calendar year. His only contributions of note have been to give away idiotic penalties at Newport and Liverpool that cost us both games.

Respect for past contributions, but seriously, there is no case for him to be anywhere near the side now apart from cup games against lower league opposition.

Yep ..   underrated.

1 minute ago, Lovejoy said:

:unsure: thats some tough love, riight there...you tell him Brendan

4 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

This is an actual transcript of the conversation between BR and MA

49 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

You cant say around here, criticising Lord Albrighton. Your facts are correct though. His goals and assists record is abysmal. Gray has similar numbere (4 goals last season) and he is treated like the anti-Christ.

Albrighton is a decent player and he has been good for us over the years but he is so overrated on here, its amazing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Koke said:

You cant say around here, criticising Lord Albrighton. Your facts are correct though. His goals and assists record is abysmal. Gray has similar numbere (4 goals last season) and he is treated like the anti-Christ.

Albrighton is a decent player and he has been good for us over the years but he is so overrated on here, its amazing.

I don’t think he is overated, more over regraded/lauded because he’s honest, hard working and comes across as a good lad. I’m a big fan, but don’t think he is near our best 11 anymore, and not if we want to compete at the top end of the table. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, One Arm Babba said:

I don’t think he is overated, more over regraded/lauded because he’s honest, hard working and comes across as a good lad. I’m a big fan, but don’t think he is near our best 11 anymore, and not if we want to compete at the top end of the table. 

I recall that in the early part of the Great Season we got quite a few goals by Mark A cutting back on to his right foot, and swinging in a diagonal cross for Mahrez bearing down on goal from an inside right position. Those goals dried up later in the season - presumably other teams got wise to the ploy. I would like to see it tried again with Ricardo playing the Riyad role.