Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Wingers

21 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Suppose the question is - what does he want from his "so called" wingers?

- More quality crosses?

- More direct running?

- More goals?

- Me to read the article before posting?

- All of the above??

Fancy its not crosses else he would start Marc

Goals, simply.  The modern day winger, if you can even call them that, in a lot of cases they are now more like inside forwards is relied on to be one of the key scorers of goals and Rodgers is big on this.  Spoke about it all the time at Celtic and the first thing he done was brought in Sinclair who scored 30 goals for us in his first season. Throughout his time at Celtic he had Sinclair and Forrest consistently chipping in with circa 40 goals a season between them, before you even consider the assists.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I can see us coming panic buying either Forrest or Christie.

Forrest I wouldn't be surprised at but Christie I can't see it.  I don't see where he'd fit in your team given Maddison and Tielemens are already there.  Christie gets shuffled out onto the wing on rare occasions but he's largely ineffective out there, his best position is as an attacking central midfielder and that's where he plays for us 99% of the time.

• Like 1

Just now, henrik_62 said:

Forrest I wouldn't be surprised at but Christie I can't see it.  I don't see where he'd fit in your team given Maddison and Tielemens are already there.  Christie gets shuffled out onto the wing on rare occasions but he's largely ineffective out there, his best position is as an attacking central midfielder and that's where he plays for us 99% of the time.

My mistake, the rare bits of footage I've seen from him he's cut in off the right with that decent left peg. Who else plays out wide for you?

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

My mistake, the rare bits of footage I've seen from him he's cut in off the right with that decent left peg. Who else plays out wide for you?

Yeah he does drift out there from time to time but he's really kicked on for us since Rodgers gave him a run of games centrally.  Well, at the moment we've got tons of wide players but at the moment the two first picks are Forrest and Elyonoussi.  We've got a couple of good you players coming through in the wide positions also in Mikey Johnston and Karamoko Dembele and a Ukranian guy we picked up in the summer called Maryan Shved, not seen too much of him yet but big things are expected of him.  Add to that guys like Sinclair and Johnny Hayes also who are squad fillers mainly.

• Like 1

It's definitely the one are that we could go and improve. I quite like Perez. I like how he holds the ball up and his link up play. I like his work rate but he's clearly not a winger. Certainly not one at the level we should be playing at. For me, he should he back up to Vardy. Yes, it's an expensive replacement but that's what I see him as. 

One thing that's worked out well for us is that our net spend is still pretty low for this season so if we are still in the top 4 come january and a top quality winger becomes available, there is no reason we shouldn't be all over it. I agree with others here though that Fraser should be a definite target. Relatively cheap given his contract and would 100% improve us. Him on the left and move Barnes only the right and I feel we could see out this season in the top 6  if not the top 4. 

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Carrasco is a great shout in January actually, a loan deal until the summer with a view to a permanent deal is likelier easier to negotiate than signing other highly coveted European or domestic based players.

If only we had some Belgian players in the squad that could report back to him on how good a club Leicester are, and how exciting the future is... :ph34r:

If we are in the top 6 in January, I am 100% sure we will make a big signing. We have money burning in our back pocket from the Maguire deal and it's obvious *this* is the season where a top 4 place is possible. In the summer we were talking about Suso, but he's gone off the boil big time at Milan. Carrasco would be fantastic but I think it would be quite a coup to get him. Maybe someone who would be more of a gamble but more realistic would be the Brazilian player Everton from Gremio who starred at the Copa America and kept Neres out of the team. Was linked with Milan and Arsenal but neither materialised. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

If only we had some Belgian players in the squad that could report back to him on how good a club Leicester are, and how exciting the future is... :ph34r:

If we are in the top 6 in January, I am 100% sure we will make a big signing. We have money burning in our back pocket from the Maguire deal and it's obvious *this* is the season where a top 4 place is possible. In the summer we were talking about Suso, but he's gone off the boil big time at Milan. Carrasco would be fantastic but I think it would be quite a coup to get him. Maybe someone who would be more of a gamble but more realistic would be the Brazilian player Everton from Gremio who starred at the Copa America and kept Neres out of the team. Was linked with Milan and Arsenal but neither materialised. 

Was thinking about him earlier, i'm torn on whether we need a left footed right winger or a good left winger and stick Barnes or Perez on the right?

Also, I know who I have my eye on is Maddison goes in the summer. Eze from QPR is going to be a superstar, we need to be acting fast on him.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Was thinking about him earlier, i'm torn on whether we need a left footed right winger or a good left winger and stick Barnes or Perez on the right?

Also, I know who I have my eye on is Maddison goes in the summer. Eze from QPR is going to be a superstar, we need to be acting fast on him.

I think that regardless of the position we need someone who can stick it in the onion bag! Carrasco or someone of that level though expensive could get you 10 goals / assists and that would make all the difference in terms of final league position.

As for Ebrechi Eze, a friend of mine is a scout for Arsenal (not making this up) and he told me about him two years ago. In fact he showed me footage of him from Wyscout. He told me at the time that in his opinion Ryan Sessegnon was overrated and that this guy was the player that really impressed him. He had seen him on loan at Wycombe where he was superb and was seeing if he could do it at Championship level. Turns out he can! He will be a Premier League player next season for sure and TBH I would probably put us as front runners for him given our emphasis on youth and track record of getting players capped. The problem is he's probably at a similar level to Barnes last year where he can probably make an impact but not quite first-team ready for a team pushing for Europe. I'd buy him in a heartbeat though! I actually think Man U might be in for him though given how good Dan James has been for them and that he'll be be 100m cheaper than Jadon Sancho.

Overall it's great that Rodgers has come out and said this though. We could be forgiven for resting on our laurels being 3rd in the table, but if you want a culture of winning trophies you need high standards, and it's true that none of our wingers are above 7/10 this season. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Interesting from Rodgers, I did wonder when he might publicly challenge our wingers again, he said the same at the end of last season. Ironically in terms of assists it's our wingers that are setting up nearly every goal we have scored in the last 3-4 games but they themselves are offering zero goal threat.

January can't come soon enough if this continues, I'm already compiling a list.

We need two wingers in my opinion. One in January and one in the summer. Keep Barnes/Albrighton as the two other options and move Perez to back up for Vardy.  

Would love to see your list Ric. Fraser would be a good signing. A bit left field this one but Matheus Pereira is being raved about in the championship. Left footed right winger with similar attributes to Mahrez & can also play as a CAM. Already got himself 2 goals and 7 assists in 10 appearances, think he could easily get 20+ goal contributions this year. 

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Even if Maddison stays, we will need another CM to compete with him, Youri & Praet especially if we end up in Europe. Personally i'd like to see Leshabela given a chance but if that doesn't happen Eze will be in the last year of his contract so should be a cheap buy :D. Another option could be Todd Cantwell if Norwich go down. Reckon McGinn will be high on Rodgers wishlist, but there will be a lot of competition to sign him. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

2 goals 2 assists last season, it's quite clear Rodgers doesn't think he can improve him which is surprising as I think he's the exact sort of player that would thrive under him.

I think it’s more that he doesn’t quite fit into the style of football that BR wants to play here. 

26 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can’t help imagining what this side would be capable of if Mahrez was still with us.

I'm not nornally one for living in the past much but I know what you mean. I was thinking the same thing the other day. He's exactly the kind of player that Rodgers is after. Bloody frustrating isn't it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fox766 said:

I'm not nornally one for living in the past much but I know what you mean. I was thinking the same thing the other day. He's exactly the kind of player that Rodgers is after. Bloody frustrating isn't it.

Yes, but having Mahrez would likely mean we wouldn't have some other player we now have.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Yes, but having Mahrez would likely mean we wouldn't have some other player we now have.

Swings and roundabouts.

Not to mention we'd probably concede far more goals down the right with both Ricardo and Mahrez.

Simpson used to work as Mahrez' foil due to his lack of defensive work-related and often cutting inside. Whenever we played an attacking full-back with him we'd leak goals.

• Like 1

Just now, Sampson said:

Not to mention we'd probably concede far more goals down the right with both Ricardo and Mahrez.

Simpson used to work as Mahrez' foil due to his lack of defensive work-related and often cutting inside. Whenever we played an attacking full-back with him we'd leak goals.

That would be absolute suicidal carnage.

Win 5-0 or lose 0-5 - fancy there would be no middle ground

Would be funny as hell mind! lol

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Steven Bergwijn from PSV for the left wing Or Jonathan Bamba from Lille and for the right wing, Chukwueze from Villareal it's time for him to come here

I really think that we should persevere with Barnes.  I wouldn't want to stunt his growth.  I think he can be a special player but he's still a young kid who's learning.  Dropping him down the pecking order won't help him.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Swings and roundabouts.

Yes I had thought of that. But we all know he is the type of player that Rodgers wants in his team. It was just a hypothetical thought.

Edited by fox766

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

...that for me detracts from the Ricardos' intelligence in regards to the reading of the game!!!

Knowing when to support or holding a position is something that a player along with the team manager has already put in place prior to stepping on the pitch. There is obviously a need for balance and pragmatism in this situation.