Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

10 Games In - Your Verdict

10 Games In - Your Verdict  

196 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate our season so far out of 10?

2. 2. Who Has Been Our Best Player So Far this Season?

• Kasper Schmeichel
    • Ben Chilwell
    • Çağlar Söyüncü
    • Wes Morgan
    • Jonny Evans
    • Demarai Gray
    • Youri Tielemans
    • Jamie Vardy
    • James Maddison
    • Marc Albrighton
    • Harvey Barnes
    • Ayoze Pérez
    • Hamza Choudhury
    • Ricardo Pereira
    • Wilfred Ndidi
    • Dennis Praet
    • Christian Fuchs

Whilst there are still a few more fixtures to be played this weekend, we have now played 10 games. That's usually a very good time to asses the table and start to a season as it becomes quite reflective of the end of season table. As a reminder, here's our the table looks, and boy does it make for some nice reading!

Table.thumb.PNG.26c3c732627a7ca92ab336956879260c.PNG

So with all that in mind, what do you think of our season so far? Here are some questions to help you out:

- How would you rate our season so far out of 10?

- Who has been our best player?

- Who has been our worst player?

- Which player has improved the most?

- Where do you think we will finish this season?

- How would you rate our manager so far out of 10?

- What's been the biggest surprise in the league so far?

Here are my thoughts:

How would you rate our season so far out of 10?

- I'd give us a 9! More points at this stage of the season than when we won the title, and an absurd goal difference. Only two games I thought were poor, our first game against Wolves and our away game at Old Trafford. Both times I thought we showed the opposition too much respect.

Who has been our best player?

- Ricardo. Could easily have given this to Vardy or even Maddison, but I think Ricardo has been excellent in every game. His consistency and overall level is exceptional and I think we are very lucky to have him.

Who has been our worst player?

- This is a very hard question to answer! Before the Southampton match I would have gone for Perez or Chilwell who had quite a few sub-par performances in a row. But in that game, they were both electric. So I will vote for Chilwell but honestly this is about as harsh an answer as it gets.

Which player has improved the most?

- Tough question to answer because almost everyone has improved. But it must go to Caglar Soyuncu who has gone from looking like a bombscare / waste of money to a top class defender. We have been better defensively despite Maguire leaving, and I think it's because now we have one CB that is strong in the air in Evans, and one that is fast, skillful and can anticipate danger and snuff it out in Soyuncu. The 23m looks like a steal right now.

Where do you think we will finish this season?

- 4th! I said 7th at the start of the season, but through a combination of being very good and some teams been surprisingly poor right now I am going to follow my heart and go for 4th. Of course it could all go wrong but crucailyl for me I think we have got better and better as the season has gone on, and we have accumulated the most points of any team that has gone behind. This is a team that is mentally strong.

How would you rate our manager so far out of 10?

- 9. He'd get a 10 if it wasn't for playing Maddison out wide in a few games. He's made some great substitutions in games to get us points and the way he made the team keep on the throttle through the epic Southampton win was something else.

What's been the biggest surprise in the league so far?

- Quite a few to choose from here. But I think the poor starts that Watford, Everton and Spurs have made have surprised me the most, especially Spurs. Of the "top 6" teams to struggle I thought Man United and Chelsea would struggle, but not Spurs. Equally Chelsea have been impressive as have Palace, and have become quite a fan of Sheffield United!

What do you think of our season so far?

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Season out of 10 has to be a 9.5 third in the league, biggest away win in football history, only Liverpool have scored more than one against us, vardy is the top scorer in the league. Arguably we’ve never had it so good.

Best player: tough choice but I’ll go Wilf he’s bloody everywhere and his game has gone to the next level. N’golo who?

dont like to talk about a worst player when we are flying like this, we don’t get the results we’re getting with passengers and would be unfair to single anyone out.

Most Improved: Soyuncu for sure, didn’t see much of him to say how good he was before, but in this form Maguire doesn’t get into our X1 which says how he has made that position his own.

Where will we finish: Follow your dreams, and reach for the sun. Let’s go for the top and see what happens.

Brendan gets an 8.5 a couple of mistakes, but bonus points for learning from them. I think he can take us all the way to Europe, to Europe to Europe.

biggest surprise in the league: How poor Everton and Watford have been.

Vardy? He's scored 9 out of 10 games. He's everything.

Very hard to say. Gray is perhaps everyone's scapegoat but it's true that he continues to disappoint; perhaps everyone's expectations of him are too high?

Soyuncu has blown everyone away. Unbelievable business.

Genuinely top 3. 

Tactics perhaps cost us at Old Trafford but otherwise, getting him in February to oversee what he had was a masterstroke.

The obsession with VAR

• Like 1

9. A 10 wouldn't be unfair either. Man U the only disappointment.

Many to choose from but N'Didi has been incredible

Gray has been the most disappointing but has shown up well the last 2 games

Soyuncu. A bit unconvincing last season but has stepped up.

4th

Apart from ourselves Chelsea' s good start. Though Man U being in the bottom half is also a surprise.

Edited by Blue ROI

5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Season out of 10 has to be a 9.5 third in the league, biggest away win in football history, only Liverpool have scored more than one against us, vardy is the top scorer in the league. Arguably we’ve never had it so good.

Best player: tough choice but I’ll go Wilf he’s bloody everywhere and his game has gone to the next level. N’golo who?

dont like to talk about a worst player when we are flying like this, we don’t get the results we’re getting with passengers and would be unfair to single anyone out.

Most Improved: Soyuncu for sure, didn’t see much of him to say how good he was before, but in this form Maguire doesn’t get into our X1 which says how he has made that position his own.

Where will we finish: Follow your dreams, and reach for the sun. Let’s go for the top and see what happens.

Brendan gets an 8.5 a couple of mistakes, but bonus points for learning from them. I think he can take us all the way to Europe, to Europe to Europe.

biggest surprise in the league: How poor Everton and Watford have been.

Son of a gun.  I'd already typed out about 2/3 of almost the same response.  Especially the bit about no worst player.  Great minds an' all.

Must admit I see us finishing 4th; Chelsea, like us are strong with room to improve.  Does that make me a pessimist with us sitting 3rd?!

Some very good questions;- 

I will go for 8.5, 9 if we had beaten Manchester Utd and 9.5 had we drew against Liverpool

For me the standout player has been Ricardo, has been consistently good in every game we have played.

Tough one tbh, I guess in terms of impact and consistency it has to be Gray

If we are looking at this season alone then Tielemans, who didnt start as good as we were expecting but has tended to improve every game.

4th behind Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea

9 - Only disappointment was showing Man Utd too much respect in the starting line-up 

*COUGH* 9 - 0 

• Haha 1

Results wise 9, performance wise 7. Last night showed what we are capable of with the team playing a system which works to our strengths and all of our players looking in form. Barnes, Perez, Chilwell and to a lesser extent Tielemans had (until yesterday) all been some way below the level we know they’re capable of. Hopefully they’ll all be able to maintain somewhere near that level for a while.

Ndidi

Gray

Maddison. Never really got the hype last season, he looked good on the ball but his decision making was poor. This season his decision making has improved a lot, he’s running games at this level in a manner he wasn’t last season.

6th

8. His improvement of the side in breaking down bottom half teams has been marked but he was massively over-deferential away at Chelsea and United and threw away points.

I thought Chelsea would struggle, but they look good for a CL spot at the moment.

- How would you rate our season so far out of 10?

9.5. Progress in the cup and 3rd in the league with a brilliant goal difference. More than I could've asked for before the season started.

Vardy. Goes unnoticed in games before he pops up with a goal but the work he does off the ball makes the rest of the team tick. Could easily have picked Soyuncu, Maddison, Ricardo here mind you.

Hard to say. Might be Ayoze but I love the bloke and think he's really stepped it up in the last month or so. Brilliant yesterday. Maybe Chilwell but he's been largely very solid at the back.

Soyuncu without a doubt. Amazed at how good he's actually been. Can't speak highly enough of him and how much he's improved us at the back since Maguire left.

4th. Think it'll be tight between us and Chelsea for 3rd and 4th. Arsenal not too far behind.

9.5. Like others have said, United away and Maddison out wide in the odd game the only real negatives for me.

Well for us, Praet? Bloke is a seriously good midfielder. In the league altogether, I knew United were shit but I didn't expect them to be this shit. Been great 

52 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

8 for me. Brendan took a little time to let the reins off which cost us a few poi ts early on but since the United game we've been very good and our league position is beutiful

Vardy's top scorer in the league so hard to look past him but I'm actually going to say Ndidi. He's become such an important player for us. Crazy to think how young he still is 

Nowhere near as bad as some people on here make out but Chilwell's not been as good as last season

Soyuncu is the obvious one but astonishingly Vardy just gets better and better. He's had to adapt from a season that plays so heavily to his strengths to one that often sees his involvement limited. Despite that he's the current league top scorer and even in his quiet games his pressing and the space he creates for others is invaluable 

I honestly feel top 4 is achievable. There will be blips. 4th COYB!! 

8. He's been superb. I was worried early on with the 2 cdms but he hasn't been stubborn with it and has quickly adapted. 

Soyuncu looking like one of the best defenders in the league. What a find

• Like 2

NEIN!!!

Rick for me as well, I'm a huge fan. There are others who play just as brilliantly though. On a different day I could say Vards, Madders, Wilf. It's great that we have quite a few players in top form. 

I'm tempted to say Gray, but his appearances are becoming more limited this days (I can't fault BR for that, other players on his position simply offer more). Before the Saints game I'd say Chills.

Soy, followed by Barnes. Even in my wildest dreams I couldn't hope he'll make such rapid progress and will play with such confidence. I agree in Caglar's current form, Harry M. could at best warm the bench for him. Which is most hilarious when you consider the amount of money they paid for him lol Caglar's transfer price seemed a bit steep to me when he arrived, but it seems like a terrific deal now

2nd :cool: Glass half full and all that  :beer:

8 or 8,5

I had to take 1 point off for the ManU game, they were there for the taking and we missed the golden opportunity. I'm still a bit mad about that lol 

Us & BR ! I was expecting us to be much more inconsistent. Much more puelesque so to speak, less attractive to watch too. BR so far is greatly exceeding my expectations. I thought he'll be an improvement over Puel but didn't think he'll give us such a boost. It's not about the wins or points but about our lads being a proper team and enjoying themselves on the pitch. We were painful to watch under Puel, now we are a pleasure again... Happy days. Just stay on course Brenda and don't you dare bat your eyelashes at those 'big boys' !!!

:brendan_still:

9. Top 6 was always the aim, so to be in the top 3 is brilliant. 

Ricardo, Vardy or Soyuncu. Went with Caglar, don’t think anyone could have predicted how well he has done. A definite upgrade on Maguire.

Can’t say. Even Gray has done ok in his cameos and he’s muck. 

Caglar obviously, but I think Ndidi has gone to another level this year. Before the season I was confident Hamza would take his place but Wilf has been immense. His passing has improved so much. However by the end of the season I think Barnes will be our most improved. 

Top 4.

8. Might be harsh but I think his team selections have cost us 7 points. There was no need to play two DM’s against Wolves, Chelsea & Man Utd. Hopefully he has permanently moved away from that system. No more 2 dm’s, no diamond either imo. Lets stick to 4-1-4-1 like Klopp does with 4-3-3. 

Sheffield. We did well to get three points against them! 

Edited by Shane

Worst Player:

Tough, probably Perez but that's rough on him, still adapting to the team.

Most improved player:

Easily Soyuncu simply for the sheer difference between last year and this year, but Ndidi and Maddison deserve mentions too.

Where do you think we will finish:

As you said @StriderHiryu at the start of this season I was sure we'd finish 7th, maybe 6th if luck was kind. Now 4th is possible, but for me 5th is more likely - I think Chelsea are probably going to keep this up, and all it takes is one of Spurs/ Arsenal to get their shit together which really should happen, especially Arsenal has literally all the tools at their disposal to fix all their problems, just that Emery is being an idiot.

How would you rate our manager out of 10 so far:

9. His methods have resulted in serious individual improvement which is why he's so high up even though he's made some questionable decisions e.g. Morgan the 3rd CB, Maddison the winger. Aside from those errors he's been tactically astute.

What's been the biggest surprise in the league so far: 

Probably Watford's catastrophic collapse. Their years of not taking their defensive problems seriously caught up with them, I just didn't expect it to be so spectacular. Spurs also surprised me somewhat, but they aren't really doing that bad in terms of the table. Everton screwing up didn't really surprise me - it's Everton, and they also lost their most important player and got his replacement injured until January. Man City losing so many points is up there as well.

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Caglar Soyuncu who has gone from looking like a bombscare / waste of money to a top class defender. We have been better defensively despite Maguire leaving, and I think it's because now we have one CB that is strong in the air in Evans, and one that is fast, skillful and can anticipate danger and snuff it out in Soyuncu. The 23m looks like a steal right now.

I agree with all of this, but I'd also that Evans is very good at anticipating danger as well, just that he reacts to it less proactively than Soyuncu. Also I'll pretty sure Soyuncu was £17m? Although I'll be happy to be proven wrong. 

• Like 1

Wilf - just think he’s the best in the business at the role…

Tough, but, I’m disappointed that Gray didn’t seize his chance starting 

Cags - looks top class - very happy to have him

3 rd is realistic…. We are the 3rd best team currently when you look at results and on paper…. Mental???!!!!

9 - yep tactics were wrong at OT, but, he learns…. The key thing he brings to the party is incredible belief and great man management 

You can look beyond the 9-0…. Teams have been trying for 130+ years and never done that in the top flight - just incredible really…

Edited by Wolfox

If we’d have beaten Liverpool we’d be top now

Points dropped v Wolves, Chelsea and in particular Man Utd

Are we at the moment in a title race? Yes. But only just. 

Man City aren’t what they were last season. 

Liverpool usually bottle it and have midweek football in the CL next year.

I’m not ruling us out of anything right now you know.

Vardy has to stay fit though. And we need a Plan B in January- Slim to come back?

Would love us to get Delofeau as well 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox
  • Like 1