Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

cant see anyone leaving Bayern for lcfc

nor man city

bowen may not be on the same level as the other three ………….. 

We can dream :D

They're just examples of the type/quality we should be going for.

Bowen is of course a cheaper alternative and not of the same level. However, he would fit nicely into our set up.

I've been playing FIFA too much tbh. Landed Werner and Gnabry in one day.

I probably need to get a grip

We'll need a bit more depth for next season if we get into Europe, although if we buy anyone in January then we may find it difficult to give everyone the game time their ability deserves. It's a tough balancing act though, as if we do qualify for Europe and wait until the summer to buy then we'll have inflated asking prices.

After the S'ton game if our wingers can keep performance levels consistently high then bringing in someone else seems a bit redundant, but I imagine we'll already have been looking at options. I'd love to see Ryan Fraser in blue though, and he's potentially available for a knock-down price as his contract is nearly up.

LB cover will be needed when Fuchs leaves in the summer, but finding someone whos good enough and happy to play second fiddle to Chilwell (who's young enough that he isn't going anywhere anytime soon) will be a challenge. We've got some promising academy players, but the step up to the PL from youth football is a big one. Pereira and Justin are both capable of deputising on the left if required (JJ has played LB more than RB according to transfermarkt) as a stop-gap.

CB. Morgan is leaving at the end of the year which leaves us with Benkovic (not quite ready) and Amartey (returning from injury) as our only long-term options. We'll need another option. Preferably someone with a bit more experience in the Evans mould, but not sure who's attainable. Ajer is younger but Rodgers has worked with him previously so it might be a good shout.

ST. Vardy won't last forever and Iheanacho isn't good enough to lead the line. Perez can stand-in if required, but this is where I think we need some serious investment to keep us at the top level long-term. Someone like Werner would be amazing. Vardy is a complete unknown though, as at times it seems like he's got another 3-4 years at least in him, so convincing someone who is good enough to be first choice to join and potentially be in his shadow will be tough. 

In: Fraser, Ajer, (foreign ST in the summer)

Out: Iheanacho (loan), Benkovic (loan to Celtic as part of Ajer deal), Slimani (loan made permanent), Mendy (sold)

Edited by Xen
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, GlenParvaFox said:

I don't think we need to spend in January, barring injuries.

Summer though, let's go out and get us a legit Right-Sided forward.

Gnabry, Ziyech, Mahrez or Bowen for example.

I mean, Ziyech and Mahrez aren't very realistic either, but do you really think we can take Bayern Munich's first choice winger?

That list is like me saying "Alright, I'll take Barbara Palvin, Lana Del Rey, Dua Lipa, or Arya from Sixth Form"

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I mean, Ziyech and Mahrez aren't very realistic either, but do you really think we can take Bayern Munich's first choice winger?

That list is like me saying "Alright, I'll take Barbara Palvin, Lana Del Rey, Dua Lipa, or Arya from Sixth Form"

Lana Del Rey..... 

Sorry, I got diverted. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TJB-fox said:

Did you even read what I said? I said I’d like Zaha but can’t see it happening in a million years because we won’t spend that kind of money on him. His lack of goals/assists doesn’t bother me, we all know there’s some hell of a player in there. Just wants out of Palace badly.

I get your point, but to imply that I didn’t agree with our transfer strategy is a bit strange. Hardly like I’m going to be complaining about our buy young, develop and sell for more model when it’s worked so well. But whatever, lets say we buy Eze or Bowen for (approx) £20mil and they come in and are on a similar level of quality to Gray, which is potentially very very likely- then what? Then we’ve just spent £20 million pounds on another winger that can’t improve the squad. Yes, it would stick to the transfer model that we are building but on the odd occasion that breaking that model can improve us majorly it should be done and I think the board understand that. Eg Tielemans and Slimani (obviously hasn’t worked out) but those were two positions that needed addressing that we spent a bit extra on. 

At this stage of our development, one or two minor additions of huge quality will make much more of a positive impact than 3-4 younger players coming in for similar fees collectively imo.

If my post came across as critical of you, that wasn't the intention at all. Apologies, I was just trying to expand on the points you made.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

See my earlier response where I suggest its unlikely (a dream).

Who is Barbara Palvin?

I don't think Bowen is different enough from Perez, both relatively slow and are more goal scorers than creators. In the summer we need to identify a really dynamic winger that can do it all. Need to be careful because players we've been linked with like Jahanbakhsh, Ismaila Sarr and Pepe (?) haven't looked like being good enough at all yet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JonesLCFC said:

Could be worth a shout as a long term replacement for Vardy at some stage. Rodgers signed him for Celtic when he arrived and he did great there. 

i’d be chuffed if we could get him!

17 minutes ago, JonesLCFC said:

Could be worth a shout as a long term replacement for Vardy at some stage. Rodgers signed him for Celtic when he arrived and he did great there. 

I mean, he's playing CL football as Lyon's first choice striker, all we have are marginally better wages. Not sure why he'd come to sit on the bench

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I mean, asking prices in the summer tend to be markedly lower than in winter, so that cancels out really.

If we get into Europe, everyone knows we have a sizeable payday coming up. Similar to how the Maguire transfer meant we were being quoted £50m for average players like Dunk.

Yes, prices are by-and-large slightly lower in the summer, but I don't imagine it would cancel out fully. Certainly not if we're buying from other English clubs - if we finish Top 4/Top 6 then they'll definitely take advantage of the hype to raise their asking prices. 

Tends to mostly be strikers who are overvalued in the winter, anyway, as everyone is chasing someone to fire them to safety/glory (and teams don't want to let them go). Defenders outside of the absolute elite-tier are usually priced a bit more fairly. Even better if we agree a buy-and-loan-back deal.

Oh man, I can't wait for the transfer wishlist thread to reopen I love arguing about absurd hypotheticals pointlessly on there. 

I know this isn't exactly anything to do with "January" but here's my summer wishlist:

Ingoing

Specifics:

€40 million Neres

€20 million M. Pereira

€20 million J. Lewis

Non specifics:

4th choice centreback (in Rudkin I trust)

2nd/3rd choice striker: They should be cheap and serviceable. They SHOULDN'T be bought with replacing Vardy in mind, who for all we know could keep firing for anotger 3 years. My ideal choice would be Karlan Grant, but he's a bit young for it, he'd probably want more gametime. Perhaps Ings in case Soton get relegated.

Outgoing

Specifics:

Ihenacho loan

€8 million Gray

€10 million Slimani 

€7 million Silva

Non specifics:

Youth loans

That would see us with

Barnes Vardy Neres

Maddison Ndidi Tielemans

Chilwell Soyuncu Evans Ricardo 

Schmeichel

Albrighton Ings? Perez

M. Pereira Hamza Praet

J. Lewis Ajer? Benkovic J. James

Ward

Perez would be a very strong rotational option anywhere across the front line, same with Praet for Tielemans and Maddison and Hamza for Ndidi. M. Pereira would be a very useful 4th winger/ 4th attacking mid choice, he has been as good for West Brom as Barnes was, both as a winger and as an 8.  Hopefully the two James' and Ward would be enough backup for Chilwell, Ricardo, and Schmeichel.

34 minutes ago, Xen said:

If we get into Europe, everyone knows we have a sizeable payday coming up. Similar to how the Maguire transfer meant we were being quoted £50m for average players like Dunk.

Yes, prices are by-and-large slightly lower in the summer, but I don't imagine it would cancel out fully. Certainly not if we're buying from other English clubs - if we finish Top 4/Top 6 then they'll definitely take advantage of the hype to raise their asking prices. 

True, but that's also just classic English pricing. It's why we have only bought Perez from another PL club recently, always going foreign or Championship.