Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

Not lose anybody in January would be a good start.

And all the so called “big” teams should look elsewhere. It is so disappointing to see our players keep getting connected with them just because we managed to grow a team and are getting better than them. If you cant beat them, buy them. In other industries, anti-trust inquiries would have been set up.

4 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Barnes needs replacing even though he’s tied for highest assists in the league with De Bruyne? :o

Using that method of trying to bring young talent through, try and think how many now decent and subsequently valuable players we not have in our team? I'll start you off with Chilwell. We have not got the budget, club attraction and mindset to buy 'ready mades' in. This current mode of buying and trying talented youth has got us into 3rd with an exciting talented young squad. Try and be a little more patient with kids like Barnes or we could end up the same as about another dozen also rans. The next YouTube clip sensation with a foreign sounding name drooled over by our armchair fans over the past couple of seasons haven't always worked out for the likes of Watford and Brighton have they. Back the manager if he persists with Barnes or another kid as I think he knows what he's doing, he's been quite good at his job for a little while now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Barnes needs replacing even though he’s tied for highest assists in the league with De Bruyne? :o

I get your point but he's not tied with KDB

Screenshot_20191104-230203_Chrome.thumb.jpg.82b06b4a7d330726e7aaf33fd18bf94c.jpg

For me we should only get a winger if we find the right guy at the right price. It's definitely the weakest 2 positions in the starting 11 but like someone else said, there's no need to upset the apple cart when we already have 4 solid wingers. Any winger that comes in should improve our starting 11 giving us 3 options that don't weaken us with injury, similar to how we have Praet, Maddison and Tielemans for the '8' roles. So Zaha for example (who probably wouldn't be at the right price but just for example) would mean that we probably start Zaha and Perez and then have Barnes on the bench to make an impact on games. Or say Perez is out of form, we then have real competition so we can take him out and put Barnes in. Albrighton and Gray are decent but if we want to take the next step, we need better strength in depth than just Barnes and Perez. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Using that method of trying to bring young talent through, try and think how many now decent and subsequently valuable players we not have in our team? I'll start you off with Chilwell. We have not got the budget, club attraction and mindset to buy 'ready mades' in. This current mode of buying and trying talented youth has got us into 3rd with an exciting talented young squad. Try and be a little more patient with kids like Barnes or we could end up the same as about another dozen also rans. The next YouTube clip sensation with a foreign sounding name drooled over by our armchair fans over the past couple of seasons haven't always worked out for the likes of Watford and Brighton have they. Back the manager if he persists with Barnes or another kid as I think he knows what he's doing, he's been quite good at his job for a little while now. 

I think you’ve missed the sarcasm of my post...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gerard said:

Couldn't agree more, in fact it's almost impossible for us to improve on any position from the other nine.

I'm a big fan of Barnes and think he has the potential to be top class but he is a bit sporadic. I'm torn between sticking with him or buying an upgrade. I'd probably stick with him unless a player we really wanted became available. We also have Gray and Albrighton which also muddies the waters a bit.

Perez is also beginning to grow on me a bit as he's a goalscorer and we need some other regular goal scoring threats in the side outside of Vardy.

I think we need to give our youngsters a bit more time. Over the years we have some with great technical or physical abilities but it is those with a good football brain and hard working ethics who would usually succeed, and I think most of our players in our starting 11 plus bench have that - although I think Gray is still suspect (but improving) and Chilwell still has not shown us enough. Ndidi and Madders have that and even though there were aspects that needed improving, they can improve and have improved. Likewise for Barnes - he definitely has not just the technical abilities but great intuition (just like Vardy) - something you have or dont have. His potential IMO is very high. 

A centre back is definitely the priority. If Evans or Soyuncu get injured we could end up playing Morgan for the rest of the season. Love Morgan but standing him on the half way line and asking him to knock the ball about like the other two do and to recover quickly like they do would be suicidal. You never know when a Gomes-like injury is around the corner and an injury to one of our centre backs could completely derail our season. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

Don’t think we need to buy anyone unless we get an injury... unless Kelechi goes.

i suppose it’s really all about how much rodgers rates kalechi. i think we’ll get a striker.

4 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

A centre back is definitely the priority. If Evans or Soyuncu get injured we could end up playing Morgan for the rest of the season. Love Morgan but standing him on the half way line and asking him to knock the ball about like the other two do and to recover quickly like they do would be suicidal. You never know when a Gomes-like injury is around the corner and an injury to one of our centre backs could completely derail our season. 

So why can't we play Benk? Serious question. No idea what's happening with him.

9 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

So why can't we play Benk? Serious question. No idea what's happening with him.

Apparently he's not up to full fitness after his long term injury. Obviously I don't have any inside information but it's quite telling that he hasn't even been given a chance in the cup games yet so Brendan doesn't think he's ready There was an article a while ago suggesting he'd go out on loan in January to try to regain his fitness which is probably best for all parties at the moment. 

It could work out okay in the end though imo because if we sign a CB in January and send Benkovic out on loan for 6 months then when Morgan leaves at the end of the season (which I assume will happen) then Benkovic will come back from loan and replace him. 

15 hours ago, urban fox said:

I think Mendy will be moved on in January, but only as his contract is due to expire at the end of the season, but I would hardly describe him as dead wood. Agree that Nacho could still come good for us, he has never really had a proper run in a decent side that is creating chances like we are now. I think our style under Rogers will suit him better and he can finish as demonstrated in pre-season and the cup.  James probably really is the only one who is genuinely surplus to requirements is not likely to get anywhere near the team.  Otherwise our first team squad is pretty decent looking with quality back up for most positions. That is not to say that it cannot be improved but (assuming we can make Slimanis deal permanent) we have no real dead wood.

I had forgotten about Mendy! 

4 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Apparently he's not up to full fitness after his long term injury. Obviously I don't have any inside information but it's quite telling that he hasn't even been given a chance in the cup games yet so Brendan doesn't think he's ready There was an article a while ago suggesting he'd go out on loan in January to try to regain his fitness which is probably best for all parties at the moment. 

It could work out okay in the end though imo because if we sign a CB in January and send Benkovic out on loan for 6 months then when Morgan leaves at the end of the season (which I assume will happen) then Benkovic will come back from loan and replace him. 

That will be a sad moment, I love Wes

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Cannot conceive of many worst choices personally. 

‘If it’s a young striker who will wait, then sure. Otherwise, we badly need another CB.

You cant conceive of many worst choices than another striker (badly needed, apart from Vardy we are seriously lacking quality up there) and Mahrez? One of the best to ever play for us? 

You feeling ok?

2 minutes ago, koop. said:

You cant conceive of many worst choices than another striker (badly needed, apart from Vardy we are seriously lacking quality up there) and Mahrez? One of the best to ever play for us? 

You feeling ok?

Please don`t selectively quote me - the original post I replied to stated "a top quality striker" - thats a terrible idea, but an up and coming striker is not, its a good idea

Mahrez was great for us and will forever be a legend despite his unsavoury leaving tactics, but he would be an absolutely demotivated ass if he came back.

Look beyond emotion if you want holistic sensible decisions.

• Like 1

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Please don`t selectively quote me - the original post I replied to stated "a top quality striker" - thats a terrible idea, but an up and coming striker is not, its a good idea

Mahrez was great for us and will forever be a legend despite his unsavoury leaving tactics, but he would be an absolutely demotivated ass if he came back.

Look beyond emotion if you want holistic sensible decisions.

Firstly a top quality striker is a great idea, or do you not want someone who's capable of 20+ a season as well as Vardy?

Could go for a young up and coming striker like Ihneacho.....oh wait 

5 minutes ago, koop. said:

Firstly a top quality striker is a great idea, or do you not want someone who's capable of 20+ a season as well as Vardy?

Could go for a young up and coming striker like Ihneacho.....oh wait 

Do you not see the problem in what you put here??? A top quality striker will NOT want to share their first team spot with another first team striker.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do you not see the problem in what you put here??? A top quality striker will NOT want to share their first team spot with another first team striker.

Agreed, I think it's pointless attempting to buy a top striker until Vardy is done and Vardy looks like he has at least another couple of season in him yet minimum. His body hasn't got that many miles on the clock and his wiry physique is built for speed and acceleration. He's very light but tough and strong and carries no excess weight.

Unless we get Europe or can get some young wonderkid in like Erling Braut Håland I'm quite happy to see Iheanacho take that role but it's pointless looking at a £40m striker whilst Vardy is here and firing. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Only 2 teams in the league are managing to pull off having 2 top quality strikers and that is Arsenal and Man City

Arsenal manage it by playing one out of position and Man City because of the amount of games they have and with Aguero regularly getting injuries

We are in the same position as Spurs, talisman striker, cover is either a flop (Iheanacho for us, Llorente, Jansen etc. for Spurs) or someone being played out of position (Gray on occasion for us, Moura for Spurs)

We are going to struggle to find another quality striker until Vardy retires or until his legs start going and he becomes the bench player

Edited by moore_94
  • Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Agreed, I think it's pointless attempting to buy a top striker until Vardy is done and Vardy looks like he has at least another couple of season in him yet minimum. His body hasn't got that many miles on the clock and his wiry physique is built for speed and acceleration. He's very light but tough and strong and carries no excess weight.

Unless we get Europe or can get some young wonderkid in like Erling Braut Håland I'm quite happy to see Iheanacho take that role but it's pointless looking at a £40m striker whilst Vardy is here and firing. 

Iheanacho has scored four goals for us in the premiership in over 50 appearances . Perez is a ten goal per season player at best . We do not want to see this club decline when Jamie begins to fade so it is vital we look for an eventual replacement now .

3 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

Iheanacho has scored four goals for us in the premiership in over 50 appearances . Perez is a ten goal per season player at best . We do not want to see this club decline when Jamie begins to fade so it is vital we look for an eventual replacement now .

Agreed. 

I'm gutted because i thought KI was the perfect contingency plan. Unfortunately I don't think it'll work out here. 

Haaland would be absolutely brilliant. He looks the part. It'll be tough to get him, I think. 

38 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Agreed, so it's a bit of a conundrum like Kane but in their case, they have a very decent player in Son both as a temporary back up and also support player in other positions. 

I saw the purchase of Perez as our similar halfway house should anything happen to Vardy but also see in him as more than capable of fulfilling other roles.

Think we need to make a replacement, either from within (youth) which seems unlikely, or buy young non-flavour-of-the-month striker who has the bare skills, and build them into the replacement.