Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

A winger, if you can find one good enough to make a meaningful difference.  A veteran backup striker who won't mind being Vardy's understudy for half a season.  Maybe cover at CB if Benkovic really is so far behind the curve he's going to be loaned out.

I think we're in a simultaneously good and weird/frustrating position, in that the squad we have is just about good enough that the only players likely to make a big impact are guys who'd never come here.  But if we're still sitting in third and looking at potential CL football in January, you might have a chance to attract more of those sort of player.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Would they really improve us though? I’m not entirely convinced! Need to trim the squad and make minor, quality additions.

Could say the same for Edouard at Celtic. Its all an opinion that really means nothing.

I'll leave it to our scouting/recruitment to make the right choices. Their the ones who get feedback from Rodgers and have the info needed to make these decisions.

Ultimately the people with their butts on the line.

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

How much time would he need? 

Maddison came straight in from the Championship.

Barnes had fairly little Championship experience.

Choudhury had limited L1/Championship experience.

Bowen is 22, almost 23.

He's scored 46 goals in 105 games since summer 2017.

As a winger.

Early days for him but looks to have something about him.

Another talented player, I like him.

Regarding Bowen. Do you think there's much of a difference in the speed/physicality of the game between the PL and the Championship? Seems like a no brainer for me.

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....can you envisage us signing Karamoko Dembele!!!

Not too sure what input Rodgers has had on his development or the risk of uprooting a sixteen year old, to another country and away from his close family ties. Purely speculative but..........!!

In my dreams. Have no idea whats going on with Dembele or Celtic's development now with Rodgers gone. For the right money maybe his Family would move to Leicester.:)

Honestly, depending how Barnes and Perez continue - I wouldn't sign anybody. Only a centreback if we send Benkovic on loan. Flashy signings are nice, but not all that necessary. I'd rather we make measured signings in the summer when more options are available to us.

Just kidding, ANNOUNCE DAVID NEREEEEEEEES RUDKIN YOU FRAUD

7 hours ago, MPH said:

I’d love him here. BUT...

i’d  actually say his attitude is the worst thing about him. one of the best strikers of the last 20 years but a complete melt. 

He’s just said that no one will even remember MLS when he’s left and you might think he’s right, but he’s still got to play half a season with players he’s basically just called nobodies and forgettable.

Cant imagine he’d get on well with Vardy.

I believe the MLS is finished, they're just doing the playoffs now

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

A lot of us thought we would be in for him in the summer, but I think the fact that no-one in the Premier League brought him is quite telling.

- Che Adams

- Neal Maupay

- Daniel James

- Adam Webster

- Jack Clark

All of these players were signed from the Championship during the summer, but no one went for Bowen. Perhaps Hull are asking for a fee that is too expensive, but given Brighton spent 20m on Webster, I feel like it's maybe telling that Premier League scouts don't think he's good enough? Hard to say really, I haven't seen the player enough to say.

One player from the Championship I do think is the business is Ebrechi Eze of QPR. Pace, power, tall, strong, technique and vision. He can use both feet too. He will for sure go to someone in the Premier League and I hope it's to us!

Two friends of mine who are QPR fans say he's better than Maddison was for Norwich during the season we signed him. Obviously they would say that, but the player was given the 10 shirt and a new contract this season to keep him there for this season and to secure a big fee for him if they can't get promoted. "Best player we've produced in 20 years" is the phrase I was told! He usually plays on one of the flanks, but to be honest is more of an all purpose attacking midfielder. Drifts through the lines and makes things happen. Could play as a 7, 8, 10 or 11.

A few of those goals wouldn't get in at PL level, but he looks decent! Could be a good option as a 4th choice mid behind Maddison/Tielemans/Praet and a 3rd/4th choice winger behind Barnes, Perez, and perhaps another winger if we sign one. Here's an interesting article i stumbled across about him if you're interested. 

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/player-analysis/eberechi-eze-2019-20-scout-report-tactical-analysis-tactics

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The thing is how do we want to run the club? 60m+ for Zaha plus his wages could and maybe should instead be spent on giving existing players a big pay bump to keep them. Zaha by the way has zero goals and one assist (today, winning a penalty) so far this season. He did get 10 goals last season, but that is certainly a premium price to pay.

The club has shown it's willing to break it's own transfer record multiple times, but I think it's got to be on a younger player with resale value. Tielemans was a no brainer because he will cost 40 and may go for as much as 100m. Our commercial revenues are massively behind lase season's top 6.

I personally think the strategy of the club is brilliant. In the team that beat Southampton by 9, we had Barnes (21), Ndidi (22), Chilwell (22), Maddison (22) and Tielemans (22) and Soyuncu (23) all starting. That lot set the all time league record for biggest away win, a record that has stood for over 130 years and all are still quite raw. Develop a young core of players, keep them together for 3-4 years and you might have a chance of winning a massive trophy but without spending hundreds of millions. It's a practical solution that has a chance to pay dividends. It is so far!

I would expect us to make signings in the following manner:

- Promising young players aged 22 and under to act as squad options for existing players with a view to them being first team ready in 1-2 years, e.g. James Justin.

- Players that are already statistically operating at a good level that can make a difference now but that won't cost an arm and a leg. Perez scored 12 goals last season, Praet was the highest chance maker in Serie A last season. A combined 50m for both is starting to look like great business.

- Veteran players that can add leadership qualities to the side, e.g. Jonny Evans. I wouldn't expect many of these, but wouldn't be surprised if one comes in given Morgan probably quits at the end of the season.

What I don't think we will see is an insane marquee signing for 60m+ because you could get two or even 3 players from the groups above for the same price. I could be completely wrong of course, but I think there is no reason to go mad with expensive signings when out current strategy is working. How much money have Everton spent, and where are they? That's not the way to do it IMO.

I largely agree with your take on the club's signings. However, I could see Zaha signed for a number of reasons, despite the inflated price he'd command:

• He'll be about 27 when we sign him - so it's very unlikely that a big club would come in for him after his signing, which means that we could get 4/5 years out of him more comfortably and more surely than we can count on from someone like Tielemans who will probably be gone by 2022/23

• His end product in the most tight, non-attacking system with such bad strikers (and to be honest all the other attacking players) that Palace fans are relieved to play Jordan Ayew, is commendable. A lot of his play his been stifled by trying to pick out a pass to Benteke and link up with him, who has the movement of a fridge and the first touch of a raiding viking. It's extremely likely that in a more positive attacking system Zaha would thrive.

• He could join us because he really wants to play European football, and basically no other club will pay for him now that Arsenal are off the table and Everton are a less attractive prospect.

• His age also means that he fits the "older more experienced player" which can fit into the squad.

• Lastly, we've been running on roughly neutral net spend for years now, so it's possible that the club will be willing to splash the money at this point, particularly if we get CL.

• Like 2

Considering he's still scoring for Hull, Jarrod Bowen for me.

We've been tracking him and seems the type of profile we've had success with.

Doubt we'll just buy him out like we did with Maddison, but perhaps next summer we'll have more leverage to get a fair deal. 

Alfredo Morelos from Rangers and loan him back to them for the rest of the season. I've seen him a few times this season and having not keen keen initially, I think he'd do really well in the prem. He's improved his discipline and will be 10-15 in the prem I reckon. 

13 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Hwang Hee Chan, and yes he looks really good. Son of Spurs did well over here too, so could well be worth a punt. I think January is the worst possible time to buy him though because his stock is very high. At the same time I think there could really be merit to signing some players who are "eased in" to the first team squad in January with the expectation of being more involved next season with European football.

For me the signing of Tielemans, Soyuncu and Maddison proves that signing a highly rated player for 25m+ even if they are not the finished article is worth a punt. I'd even be happy to take a player on loan who might end up as a permanent singing later.

I pressive reel.  No wonder Haaland scores so many.  A lot of what he does he is quite simple but done brilliantly with awareness, technique and speed of thought.

Get him in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SO1 said:

Regarding Bowen. Do you think there's much of a difference in the speed/physicality of the game between the PL and the Championship? Seems like a no brainer for me.

There is a huge difference in the speed/physicality between the PL and championship. Bowens lack of pace is a worry for me. Knockaert was a star player in the championship but ultimately in the PL, his lack of pace made it difficult for him to make the step up. Eze & Matheus Pereira would be better signings imo. 

Edited by Shane

Our squad looks strong.  Our one current major weakness is the lack of back-up to Vardy.  We need in the next two windows to address this.

We need to buy players to put pressure on our current ones.  If we signed a player who could displace one of our stars, it would clearly be a win-win situation.

We need to bear in mind that most of our players could play in just about any team.  The former big 6 will be circling.

Bearing all this in mind, I think part of our strategy should be to buy two or three class Championship players in January and loan them straight back to their current clubs for the rest of the season.  The clubs in question would not have their squads disrupted with immediate effect and the new signings continue to play regular football.  I am no expert on  Championship football but Eze and Bowen spring to mind.  They would then get pre-season with Leicester.

If we could get Hwang-Hee Chan or Zaha or similar quality, it would be great and they would add to the squad/team immediately.   I hope there are few permanent signings in January as our current squad is strong.

• Like 1