Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

I think that we just need more succession planning as we won't keep hold of the likes of Maddison, Ricardo and Chilwell forever.

We've done it very succesfully with Soyuncu for Maguire and brought in Justin for when Ricardo gets snapped up.

Most pressing is a young LB as Fuchs will be leaving soon.

Just now, Bazly said:

Where are the goals from corners stats available?

I guess you could find them on the official PL site. Couldn't point you to any sources myself, get much of my stats from reddit, YouTube, rather ephemeral places if you want to go digging for old posts or vids.

I'd suggest TIFO football's video on corners though, I found it pretty illuminating

You can get the numbers of corner stats for and against but I haven't ever seen any on goals resulting from corners. I just know we don't score many and against teams that have good midfield players it just offers up a great opportunity for a breakaway from our pass from the corner spot onto the heads of their tall defenders.

12 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The thing is how do we want to run the club? 60m+ for Zaha plus his wages could and maybe should instead be spent on giving existing players a big pay bump to keep them. Zaha by the way has zero goals and one assist (today, winning a penalty) so far this season. He did get 10 goals last season, but that is certainly a premium price to pay.

The club has shown it's willing to break it's own transfer record multiple times, but I think it's got to be on a younger player with resale value. Tielemans was a no brainer because he will cost 40 and may go for as much as 100m. Our commercial revenues are massively behind lase season's top 6.

I personally think the strategy of the club is brilliant. In the team that beat Southampton by 9, we had Barnes (21), Ndidi (22), Chilwell (22), Maddison (22) and Tielemans (22) and Soyuncu (23) all starting. That lot set the all time league record for biggest away win, a record that has stood for over 130 years and all are still quite raw. Develop a young core of players, keep them together for 3-4 years and you might have a chance of winning a massive trophy but without spending hundreds of millions. It's a practical solution that has a chance to pay dividends. It is so far!

I would expect us to make signings in the following manner:

- Promising young players aged 22 and under to act as squad options for existing players with a view to them being first team ready in 1-2 years, e.g. James Justin.

- Players that are already statistically operating at a good level that can make a difference now but that won't cost an arm and a leg. Perez scored 12 goals last season, Praet was the highest chance maker in Serie A last season. A combined 50m for both is starting to look like great business.

- Veteran players that can add leadership qualities to the side, e.g. Jonny Evans. I wouldn't expect many of these, but wouldn't be surprised if one comes in given Morgan probably quits at the end of the season.

What I don't think we will see is an insane marquee signing for 60m+ because you could get two or even 3 players from the groups above for the same price. I could be completely wrong of course, but I think there is no reason to go mad with expensive signings when out current strategy is working. How much money have Everton spent, and where are they? That's not the way to do it IMO.

Did you even read what I said? I said I’d like Zaha but can’t see it happening in a million years because we won’t spend that kind of money on him. His lack of goals/assists doesn’t bother me, we all know there’s some hell of a player in there. Just wants out of Palace badly.

I get your point, but to imply that I didn’t agree with our transfer strategy is a bit strange. Hardly like I’m going to be complaining about our buy young, develop and sell for more model when it’s worked so well. But whatever, lets say we buy Eze or Bowen for (approx) £20mil and they come in and are on a similar level of quality to Gray, which is potentially very very likely- then what? Then we’ve just spent £20 million pounds on another winger that can’t improve the squad. Yes, it would stick to the transfer model that we are building but on the odd occasion that breaking that model can improve us majorly it should be done and I think the board understand that. Eg Tielemans and Slimani (obviously hasn’t worked out) but those were two positions that needed addressing that we spent a bit extra on. 

At this stage of our development, one or two minor additions of huge quality will make much more of a positive impact than 3-4 younger players coming in for similar fees collectively imo.

5 minutes ago, boots60 said:

A quality striker as back up to Vardy. Someone with an eye for goal who will not mind being Vardy's back up & when he eventually gets his chance will take it.

Step forward local lad Che Evans.

Cant see Che Adams moving this quickly - how long has he been at Southampton? 6 months?

16 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

If come January we are still in the top 4 and Manchester United are still in that 7-12 position.

I would love us to put a bid in for one of their players, make it publicly known and get everyone on here to ring in every radio station phone in and question the players ambition if he doesn’t join.

We don’t have to actually sign them, but it’d be nice to throw our cock around a little, maybe slap it in Solskjaers face a couple of times.

Most of all though show our intentions to the rest of the Premier League, we are not going to roll over for you, we are here to stay and compete!

i’d love us to make it public when Maguire asks to come back and we reject him saying we are “ satisfied with our current CB partnership”.

34 minutes ago, boots60 said:

A quality striker as back up to Vardy. Someone with an eye for goal who will not mind being Vardy's back up & when he eventually gets his chance will take it.

Step forward local lad Che Evans.

Ched Evans ain’t local

2 minutes ago, GlenParvaFox said:

I don't think we need to spend in January, barring injuries.

Summer though, let's go out and get us a legit Right-Sided forward.

Gnabry, Ziyech, Mahrez or Bowen for example.

cant see anyone leaving Bayern for lcfc

nor man city

bowen may not be on the same level as the other three ………….. 

• Like 1

It's often pointed out how difficult it is to get value for money in January but we've had a pretty excellent record in the last 5 years:

Schwarzer - Free

Huth - Loan

Amartey - £5.6m

Gray - £3.5m

Ndidi - £15m

Wague - Loan

Diabate - £2m

Tielemans - Loan

2/3 of the loanees have gone on to be invaluable players who've stayed the following summer.

The dearest purchase, Wilf, has become utterly undroppable and one of our most important players.

Diabate has flopped but he cost absolutely nothing.

Amartey has been an invaluable squad player at times, regardless of the criticism he gets.

Gray is frustrating for most but mainly because we know there's some definite talent there. Even if he never becomes the player he could be, that's still pretty good value for money.

Schwarzer was invaluable to have on the bench during 2015/16.

------

I think the squad is looking very good at the minute. There's no real need to be kneejerk and try to improve the first XI, especially as we're 3rd and have just won 9-0.

Midfield options are pretty excellent with Praet looking like a shrewd buy and Hamza being extremely reliable.

Perez and Barnes were unplayable on Friday night and I hope they'll continue to repay Brendan's faith.

Albrighton and Gray on the bench are useful though might need a bit more competition.

The defence is outstanding though a back up CB is definitely necessary. This might be the last season for Wes and Benkovic needs some game time so could probably go out on loan.

I'd be reluctant to go and buy anyone outright, especially as everyone knows we're loaded.

We do need to prepare for the possibility of getting into Europe so expanding on the squad is imperative. 

So we should be very cautious with our business this winter. I'd suggest a young CB and perhaps another winger - Ajer from Celtic and Bowen from Hull look like they could be excellent value for money, especially as the latter has 6 months left on his contract.

But I overwhelmingly trust our recruitment team to make the right decisions. That includes Rudkin too.

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1