Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

2 minutes ago, RobHawk said:

Agreed, he's like an expensive demi gray

and looks like he is about to burst into tears at any second.

2 minutes ago, Cujek said:

we genuinely havent got a whole heap of dead wood though in the first team.

i cant think of anyone i would purposefully move on, other than James and thats only because he does not have a future here.

there is an argument for Ianacho, but there i am convinced there is a player of real quality in there, somewhere.

Gray is starting to shine in his new club role as impact sub and the backup goalies are happy as back ups.

I think Mendy will be moved on in January, but only as his contract is due to expire at the end of the season, but I would hardly describe him as dead wood. Agree that Nacho could still come good for us, he has never really had a proper run in a decent side that is creating chances like we are now. I think our style under Rogers will suit him better and he can finish as demonstrated in pre-season and the cup.  James probably really is the only one who is genuinely surplus to requirements is not likely to get anywhere near the team.  Otherwise our first team squad is pretty decent looking with quality back up for most positions. That is not to say that it cannot be improved but (assuming we can make Slimanis deal permanent) we have no real dead wood.

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, urban fox said:

Actually on recent showing I would say Gray is the better bet. At least he has age on his side and seems to be maturing under Rodgers

Maybe but Gray could not stand in for Vardy , Zaha is much stronger than him and would easily drop in as the principal striker. He is playing for a team with a limited midfield at the moment meaning he often has to do two jobs . He would have scored a good few by now with us.

Zaha doesn't belong anywhere in a million miles of our squad tbf. 

We don't need individualists, however technically capable they are. 

He's a good athlete and he's got skill but he's also got shit for brains and is totally selfish. He's not a Rodgers player at all.

They're obviously both out of our reach now but former targets Thorgen Hazard and Hakim Ziyech much better fit the profile. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'm absolutely not under any circumstances saying we give up on him. 

But if you were to look at our best eleven right now and ask me to point out the weak link, it'd be our LF and RF quite comfortably. 

And as much as its an unpopular opinion on here, Perez is a little bit better for Rodgers system IMO. He looked timid in his first few games but he's growing in to it quite nicely. He links up very well with some smart close football. Plus he just scored a hattrick. 

Perez, Ricardo and Tielemans is a much better functioning triangle right now than Chilwell, Barnes and Madders is. 

Couldn't agree more, in fact it's almost impossible for us to improve on any position from the other nine.

I'm a big fan of Barnes and think he has the potential to be top class but he is a bit sporadic. I'm torn between sticking with him or buying an upgrade. I'd probably stick with him unless a player we really wanted became available. We also have Gray and Albrighton which also muddies the waters a bit.

Perez is also beginning to grow on me a bit as he's a goalscorer and we need some other regular goal scoring threats in the side outside of Vardy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, urban fox said:

Really don't get all this blowing smoke up Zaha's ar*e.

Thought he was completely ineffectual on Sunday and is nowhere near as good as the hype. Ok he was a lot younger but he flopped at Man Utd and went crying home to mummy.

People on here saying he would suit us just don't get our club. I really do not think he would fit in with our culture at all.

This. He hardly ever scored or assists? Just a flashier Gray. If we sign a winger make it one with plenty of goals in them.

We're close to getting the maximum out of our first 11 at present.

It's nearly preparing long term for any players leaving now.

A striker is the Number 1 priority. Vardy keeps us ticking over but he'll be 34 by January 2021. The party will come to an end sooner or later.

A winger would be ideal but we have done ok with Perez and Gray lately. Barnes has shown up well without scoring as much as he could. Its not like for like with Mahrez but they have all contributed. 

Players will want to join us we can safely say.

We will be in a very strong postion now in the next transfer window. Might be the strongest ever. 

A new winger with something a bit different is definitely needed in Jan IMO.

Like the winger version of Praet. Someone that can come in and do a job when required but won't kick up a stink because he's not starting each week.

Not necessarily someone that can take the ball around 2/3 men but someone who is very good a calm in possession. Along the lines of a Juan Mata type player

19 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's going to be a very quiet January for us as I can't see us buying anyone for the immediate first team.

We do need an extra CB as cover though, especially if Benkovic goes out on loan.

Over the last few years we've made a few mistakes but crucially, we've learned from them too.

People say we need a new striker as cover/competition for Vardy.

We won't be signing one. 

We don't need one.

We spent £29m on Slimani and £25m on Iheanacho, both to replace Okazaki, within the space of a year.

The best replacement for Okazaki turned out to be Okazaki.

Slimani will soon be gone to Monaco permanently, while Iheanacho is getting a goal a game in early cup matches.

We won't be making another costly mistake for something we don't need.

I don't think we'll be buying a top level winger either.

Our first XI is pretty settled at the minute - almost as predictable as Ranieri's 2016 side.

After 11 games, Perez has 3 goals and 1 assist while Barnes has 1 goal and 4 assists. 

Gray has created 5 goals in the last fortnight.

Buying a winger in January could risk upsetting the harmony of the squad, who have so far won 10 out of 14 games this season in all competitions.

In short, there's nothing broken currently that needs fixing. 

Or at least be extremely cautious, as we always are, in the January window.

ab8c229496701a3c93896c03d0a251dc00d0428b

31 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

A new winger with something a bit different is definitely needed in Jan IMO.

Like the winger version of Praet. Someone that can come in and do a job when required but won't kick up a stink because he's not starting each week.

Not necessarily someone that can take the ball around 2/3 men but someone who is very good a calm in possession. Along the lines of a Juan Mata type player

We certainly don't need another winger who isn't better than what we already have. We have Gray and Albrighton already in that role. Either buy an obvious upgrade or keep our money in our pocket. 

45 minutes ago, koop. said:

Riyad Mahrez and a top class striker 

Cannot conceive of many worst choices personally. 

‘If it’s a young striker who will wait, then sure. Otherwise, we badly need another CB.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm absolutely not under any circumstances saying we give up on him. 

But if you were to look at our best eleven right now and ask me to point out the weak link, it'd be our LF and RF quite comfortably. 

And as much as its an unpopular opinion on here, Perez is a little bit better for Rodgers system IMO. He looked timid in his first few games but he's growing in to it quite nicely. He links up very well with some smart close football. Plus he just scored a hattrick. 

Perez, Ricardo and Tielemans is a much better functioning triangle right now than Chilwell, Barnes and Madders is. 

Perez has looked very comfortable and infact one of our strong points last couple games imo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

It's going to be a very quiet January for us as I can't see us buying anyone for the immediate first team.

We do need an extra CB as cover though, especially if Benkovic goes out on loan.

Over the last few years we've made a few mistakes but crucially, we've learned from them too.

People say we need a new striker as cover/competition for Vardy.

We won't be signing one. 

We don't need one.

We spent £29m on Slimani and £25m on Iheanacho, both to replace Okazaki, within the space of a year.

The best replacement for Okazaki turned out to be Okazaki.

Slimani will soon be gone to Monaco permanently, while Iheanacho is getting a goal a game in early cup matches.

We won't be making another costly mistake for something we don't need.

I don't think we'll be buying a top level winger either.

Our first XI is pretty settled at the minute - almost as predictable as Ranieri's 2016 side.

After 11 games, Perez has 3 goals and 1 assist while Barnes has 1 goal and 4 assists. 

Gray has created 5 goals in the last fortnight.

Buying a winger in January could risk upsetting the harmony of the squad, who have so far won 10 out of 14 games this season in all competitions.

In short, there's nothing broken currently that needs fixing. 

Or at least be extremely cautious, as we always are, in the January window.

think this is about right. we don't really need to sign anyone apart from possibly cover for CB.

41 minutes ago, Shane said:

Sign Eze. He’d provide us with another option on the wings for the rest of the season.

Then next season he can play in his more natural central position as a back up to Tielemans/Maddison/Praet. 

Eze with a loan back to QPR would be a great bit of business. Not the sort of player we need just now IMO.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MPH said:

On reflection i think its fair to say that adding Zaha to our team would be a truly amazing signing. and that was a good shout @vanity. Gray and 60m for Zaha would be a good deal for everyone. However i doubt he would come here,,, hes possinly holding out for a champions league tea,,,,,,, :wave:

Not arguing he may not want to come here, and prob wants a traditional top club. But I do wonder where he would go to play RW.

Not Liverpool (Salah), not Man City (Sterling/Mahrez), not Tottenham (Son), not Arsenal (Aubameyang), obviously. Chelsea has Pulisic/Willian playing RW there now I believe, so that seems unlikely. That leaves Man United, except Daniel James has been an absolute steal and was their Player of the Month recently, absolutely torched Andrew Robertson when Man U drew against Liverpool, and is easily one of their (shock) best players this season. If they make a move for Zaha, we'll take James, no problem.

But why would Man U do that? Which seems sort of insane, saying no to 26 year old Zaha bc you have 21 year old Daniel James, but Zaha will be expensive and that isn't a position of need at the moment while Man U have tons of other areas they must address. Just seems like Zaha is the odd man out in the Prem, maybe he has to move leagues.

IDK, I see how much scoring top teams get from their RW, I just think we can find someone. If Perez turns around and starts scoring a bunch before the January window, fine, let's get a CB and consider a young striker. But if Perez struggles, and nobody better comes in for Zaha... maybe he changes his thinking and decides he wants to play some CL-deciding games in April and May.

• Like 1