Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

3 minutes ago, FerrisBueller said:

My thoughts exactly. I've never really bought in to the idea of nationalism, I can't think of much that makes me proud to be English. I've always wanted to live elsewhere, but these last few years have made it easier in a way.

I'll be moving to Denmark by the end of next year, grabbing that last little bit of FOM while I can. I wish I could have longer due to commitments here, but ultimately I don't want to live in a country that seems to reflect polar opposite morals and views to myself.

Gonna be a crazy next 5-10 years!

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twoleftfeet said:

It wasn't an horrendous result it was predicted. I have until now always voted Labour 

My two big priorities are economics (I'm pro-Keynesian policies and very anti austerity) and climate change so it was pretty horrendous, expected or not!

On another note, good increase in votes for the Greens which was nice to see.

8 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Chances are they are looking for a better life, there are many worse places to live than England.  Thre's still plenty of things I love about this country but given the choice right now with no family ties I would look elsewhere...but i'm not going anywhere.:D....yet.

That's great news :thumbup:

You've added a huge amount to these debates and I've enjoyed reading your contributions.  It's clear you have a huge amount to offer to this country of ours.

Nobody went out yesterday and voted to spite others.  We all want what's best for our country, we just differ on the methods we think are best to achieve  necessary change and progress.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Football fans talk about bragging rights, yet when it comes to politics, the victors are meant to be gracious in victory. I don't get it.

Wow. 

Politics affects people's lives way more than football ever does and will. Politics goes way beyond 90 minutes on a Saturday or in midweek. 

Look at us on a Matchday. We lose and we move on to the next game fairly quickly. Lose an election and we're 'stuck' for the next 5 years or so under a government you may not have voted for. It's not as if we lose a match and then dictated by the side that beat us are we lol ?! 

More fool you for making such a weak analogy. Saw it coming from a lot of Tories though. More willing to rub it in and feed on the 'lefty tears' in a smug 'told you so' attitude as opposed to being gracious and showing some kind of humility or progress. It's what a lot of the Tory campaign was based on (not all of it) - perceived lack of empathy and lack of care. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

We will be negotiating a trade deal from a position of complete regulatory alignment. It’s not a trade deal that requires any fall in line tactics. It’s pretty much a negotiation now about trade offs. There is no reason it can’t be done by the end of the forecasted transition.

As has been pointed out, this makes little difference. The whole point of being outside the customs union is for the uk to diverge. Any trade negotiations must assume that this is the intention. I think someone posted an article dealing with this exact issue.

• Like 1

I wonder what people like Chukka Umunna must be thinking now. I remember when Corbyn was elected Labour leader people like Umunna and others either pulled out or didn't run. Irrespective of the reasons they gave. Some experts thought it was because they knew whoever won it would have a hard time succeding. Selfishly, it would be better to let someone else have it, struggle, then come in and save the day.

If that was correct; talk about a massive misjudgement. The party they hoped to one day lead is now unrecognisable. And some of them aren't even MP's anymore. 

Edited by Guesty

Guest BlueBrett
1 hour ago, The whole world smiles said:

I was thinking about this last night. Obviously their brexit stance killed them. But what position could they have took to keep both their brexit northern & midland heartlands on board and not lose their young metropolitan vote to the Lib Dems and keep the membership happy?

The only thing I can think of is they should have backed a deal and got out in some form as going to an election against a pro brexit Tory party with it still on the table was suicide.

They should have just been honest and admitted that vote Labour was vote Remain.

11 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

They should have just been honest and admitted that vote Labour was vote Remain.

For me that would have been suicide (as their eventual policy was), I think they should have said vote Labour was vote softish Brexit with more control over EU immigration. But then Lib Dems would actually have had the resurgence and it would have become more 3 party-ish. 

I think labour were in a much more difficult position than tories like to admit.

Just now, bmt said:

For me that would have been suicide (as their eventual policy was), I think they should have said vote Labour was vote softish Brexit with more control over EU immigration. But then Lib Dems would actually have had the resurgence and it would have become more 3 party-ish. 

I think labour were in a much more difficult position than tories like to admit.

Totally agree, I know the core of labour is very much split but it’s principles are around the working class. They needed to throw them a bone.

• Like 1

This is the kind of shit that worries me even more than it did before. Yes we can all say 'it's Hopkins, ignore her, don't pay attention, don't give her airtime'. But the trouble is she has the audience and a supportive one at that. She has people who believe in to the vile racism on show here. 

You just know for sure she sees any non-White person as non-British. And there's people who seriously invest in to that and take it out in to the public. Look at the state of that tweet to a Muslim person in the Tory party. It's disgusting. 

• Like 1

Guest BlueBrett
2 minutes ago, bmt said:

Perhaps but at least it would have been the truth and they could have died a more honorable death lol 

28 minutes ago, bovril said:

Have to say it is great to see Umunna lose his seat. 

He didn't actually lose his seat, he didn't stand in Streatham instead contesting Cities & Westminster and lost there, he didn't join the other candidates on the stage at the count.

Have to say what a terrible barometer for this election twitter has been (Yeah I know).

If you were on there between 8pm and 10pm last night you'd be forgiven for thinking it would be a Labour landslide.

• Like 4

Its exactly as I wanted it to be, was good to wake up to see Swinson gone and the Corbyn project severely bruised. I dont think the next 5 years are going to be particularly pretty but the least worst option has prevailed. Now i hope labour can rethink itself and be an effective opposition and offer a good choice for 2025