Sign in to follow this  
urban.spaceman

Liverpool Post Match Thread

8 minutes ago, foxcorn said:

can't keep the ball for christ sake ytd. dominated in the last two games. need to rebound back and at least get a UCL spot this season. 

The last 2 games against the 2 best teams in the league and arguably 2 of the best in the world.

• Like 1

Boy do I have a hangover from yesterday’s game. Desperately trying to find some positives to take into the game against the hammers.

It just doesn’t help that the game was so hyped to a world record televised audience. All it did was make Liverpool look like gods and the foxes like nobody’s. There was even pity as no one likes to see a team get bullied but foxes showed little fight too late. My summary?

1) we are not as good as city and pool

2) we are NOT as bad as we looked yesterday

please, please, please Rogers sort this out asap! Buck stops with management and leadership

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

The last 2 games against the 2 best teams in the league and arguably 2 of the best in the world.

Started with Norwich, the worst team in the league, thing is, peeps thought we'd sort it out but we really are a bit out of sorts at present and  they need to get back to basics.

that's where we really grow as a team. not cussing them after what they have done so far. more of to continue imposing our style of game than adapting to theirs

4 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Stranger things have happened but what if wolves stop Liverpool at the weekend? Maybe not a win but a draw. Either way they will have studied our game as a way to show the players how NOT to set up against Liverpool. They will be defensively solid and unleash jiminez and traore on selective quick counter attacks. Anyway I digress shouldn’t talk about other teams really it’s about what we’re going to do next.

23 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

Stranger things have happened but what if wolves stop Liverpool at the weekend? Maybe not a win but a draw. Either way they will have studied our game as a way to show the players how NOT to set up against Liverpool. They will be defensively solid and unleash jiminez and traore on selective quick counter attacks. Anyway I digress shouldn’t talk about other teams really it’s about what we’re going to do next.

I think we need to forget Liverpool and Man City. They will finish miles ahead of everyone else again. I hope they both beat Wolves in the next 2 games. More important that we keep well ahead of teams in 5th, 6th and 7th. 

3 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I know we must look at the big picture (ie we are second in the league with a hugely promising young team) but I have to say last night was one of the most dispiriting experiences I've had at a Leicester game for a long time.

Maybe it is the fact that I came into the game with such hope and expectation after the way we've played for the most part this season. But we offered nothing, absolutely nothing at all. Not a single shot on target in a home game against anyone is unacceptable really. The defending and pressing was amateurish. We looked like Arsenal playing out from the back. And to top it off there was a total lack of energy and commitment. The latter really hacked me off more than anything after me and my kids did a 230 mile round trip from Surrey to watch the game.

Liverpool seemed to win every single 5050. I get they're a great team but are their midfielders man for man that much better than ours? Man City's might be but not Liverpool's. Liverpool's strength is in their system and tactics, something we lacked in massively yesterday. Fair play to those who were able to endure rewatching this debacle on Match of the Day. I couldn't bear it personally.

We are really at a crossroads now. Go to West Ham and do the business and we can forget last night. Lose again - quite possible with a demoralised, tired and inevitably heavily rotated team - and we risk being in free fall. Let's hope Brendan can work some magic in the next 24 hours or so.

Absolutely agree with all of this.

Liverpool will not have an easier match all season. Starting to wonder if wwe are merely flat track bullies. Are the wheels starting to come off too? We looked tired, dejected and frankly not that interested in giving them much of a match.

Our players seem intimidated agains so-called bigger sides. Yes Liverpool are very very good and the way they spread the play is great to watch. However, VVD was hardly ever pressured and the few times he did he made some errors. Same with Henderson who basically allowed to run the game from deep without any of our players anywhere near him.

6 or 7 nil would not have been an unreasonable result last night it was that one sided.

72-75 points likely to be required for a top 4 finish. Right now I doubt we will make it. 19 games to go, 5 against the so-called big 6 in which we  are likely to get  0 points, probably means we have to win 11 of the other 14 games.

The next two games are huge, bigger than the cup semi final in terms of the short term future of the club. Personally on current form and energy levels I can only see another two defeats.

Leadership really required now.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Ricey said:

If we are going to do that we still have to put them under more pressure when they have the ball and work harder to keep the shape. It’s not as simple as remaining compact, as teams like Man City and Liverpool will have a field day if you give them plenty of time on the ball.

You also don’t play your flair player out wide against the opponents most creative threat.

See my last sentence. I agree with you. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

No but you spoke of the disappointment in the last 2 games and it’s been more than the last 2 games, as I’ve said it’s been the last 5 out of 6 league games.

Despite winning two and drawing one in that time we’ve not been good enough and not maintained the standards we’ve now set.

I understand teams can’t be at their best every game, heck, as I keep saying I don’t think Liverpool have been that good in a lot of their games or Man City but people do need to be honest in their assessments and not make excuses.

There’s been a clear difference in the last two weeks that we’ve been light years behind with the desire missing.  

The point of my post was to point of those two teams they have fielded their strongest elevens in a period of heavy rotation and therefore they must have considered us a threat. 

The other games were difficulties surrounding low block teams who sit in and counter. The desire wasn’t the issue and we dominate those games largely. The complacency was a factor there and failure to take chances. 

The only ray of sunshine that I can take from this is that hopefully RL will now stop jizzing about our “title challenge” which never really was 

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

That's not the point and many on here are missing it. Other teams have recently played those teams and beaten them or made it awkward by setting up right and causing them problems.

We swanned in both times in a Billy Big Balls style and decided we'd blow them away with scintillating football and got utterly twerped. After that lesson at Man City, Brendan should have learned and adapted. There is no shame in playing a compact defensive style, breaking up their play and breaking quickly. Instead he set us up wrong and allowed them to gleefully exploit the space we presented them with. 

We simply do not yet have the personnel, experience or skill to do what we tried and to try it twice was reckless. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

The only ray of sunshine that I can take from this is that hopefully RL will now stop jizzing about our “title challenge” which never really was 

Another would be that it does seem more likely there will be less interest from other clubs in Rodgers and players like Maddison and Chilwell. Both Man City and Liverpool played high pressing games and tactics were not adjusted as both games we continued to build slowly from back, leading to errors. Maddison is not as effective on left midfield but it seemed he was frustrated at being asked to play there (culminating in booking yesterday) and Chilwell's defensive frailties have been exposed (although both games he was too isolated for much of last 2 games). 

No where near enough respect for Liverpool here. They produced probably the best performance I've ever seen from a side live last night. We couldn't play through them or over them, they ran harder and faster than any other side we've played this season, their first time passing and cross field balls were so good as to nullify any attempt at a press...

It's ok saying we didn't play to the level we know we can but at the same time we've never played anything like that before, far far better than an awful Southampton, half decent Palace or pretty good Spurs. Most teams press high but our ability to play out from the back is generally good and we can get through it, Liverpools press was so quick and ferocious compared to everyone else that they made us look crap and caused mistakes. We couldn't even out work them as they put in a hell of a shift effort wise. It's disappointing getting done over like that but it was far more down to Liverpool's insane quality than our inadequacy. I now fully expect them to go the season unbeaten and to set a new points record doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

No need to panic just yet, we’re a young team learning and we’ve just played the two best teams in the league. It just shows how good of a season we are having feeling the way we do after being beaten by them.

I fully expect the team to bounce back against West Ham. Rodgers has shown that he learns from mistakes and experiences.

• Like 1

I left in a day before commenting. needless to say the last couple of results have been hugely disappointing and no one will be feeling that more than the players and Brendan right now. But on reflection we are exactly on track for this young team and we need to take this and we'll learn from it - we play teams like Man C and Liverpool probably 4 times a year this team and as a consequence this young squad doesn't have much experience of playing against the top teams in Europe. We need to focus on establishing ourselves as a team who regularly plays against teams of this calibre and if we focus on the top 5 we'll develop as a squad.

Probably unpopular here, but I do admire Wolves this season and taking the Europa cup so seriously. We have a young squad and hungry for success we will need to add some depth and experience to the squad especially if we can secure a place in Europe next season but also take all the competitions seriously so we are playing the top teams more often.

Edited by Blue Ed

3 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Do you listen to RL often? I had it on in the car yesterday whilst listening to the build up for the game. Is that Owen geezer mocking stringer? Or Is he actually performing career suicide and trying to imitate the 40 year old man child?

1 minute ago, Manini said:

Do you listen to RL often? I had it on in the car yesterday whilst listening to the build up for the game. Is that Owen geezer mocking stringer? Or Is he actually performing career suicide and trying to imitate the 40 year old man child?

I try not to 

I like listening to discussion about our team but RL have made it virtually unlistenable 

Owen is Stringers protege I’m afraid.

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I try not to 

I like listening to discussion about our team but RL have made it virtually unlistenable 

Owen is Stringers protege I’m afraid.

It’s utterly diabolical. I hated every second of it and put talk sport on in the end.

**** me somebody should really have a word with him. 

• Like 1

just watched Wolves play a masterclass against city. wow! Bravo to manager and players. Now that's how it's done. If BR and Leicester players need any inspiration about having belief, being fearless, showing no respect and playing at 100% focus than look no further. Thank you Wolves this league needs performances like that against the big boys.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cruzFOX said:

just watched Wolves play a masterclass against city. wow! Bravo to manager and players. Now that's how it's done. If BR and Leicester players need any inspiration about having belief, being fearless, showing no respect and playing at 100% focus than look no further. Thank you Wolves this league needs performances like that against the big boys.

Man City we’re down to 10 men from the 12 minute 

2 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Apart from the result its the energy, focus, determination and game plan Wolves set out for city that I want to emphasize. True the keeper sending off is a massive moment but Ederson has a habit of doing that and today he got punished plus the wolves pressure made city wary and on the back foot for large parts of the game. What I like about what Wolves did is show no fear. They might get beat but the big teams are going to have to really fight for the points. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Despite that they’ve been vulnerable this season and there for the taking and have dropped a lot of points by their standards. Leicester should have if they flew out the traps against them and played aggressively enough had enough to get something out the game imo. The frustration is from many on this thread I imagine that you ended up playing within yourselves.

i don’t want to call it arrogance, maybe stubborness or one dimensional are better terms but Rodgers really needs to sort out this utopia like approach where he thinks he can overplay at the back, pass through any press going and beat teams far superior with that style. Liverpool are the one side In Europe you’d absolutely Not play that way against.

One or two posters have said he’ll learn this and I hope I’m wrong but I’m not so sure as it was his Achilles heel at Liverpool and at Celtic and he’s showing no signs of learning from it thus far.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Despite that they’ve been vulnerable this season and there for the taking and have dropped a lot of points by their standards. Leicester should have if they flew out the traps against them and played aggressively enough had enough to get something out the game imo. The frustration is from many on this thread I imagine that you ended up playing within yourselves.

i don’t want to call it arrogance, maybe stubborness or one dimensional are better terms but Rodgers really needs to sort out this utopia like approach where he thinks he can overplay at the back, pass through any press going and beat teams far superior with that style. Liverpool are the one side In Europe you’d absolutely Not play that way against.

One or two posters have said he’ll learn this and I hope I’m wrong but I’m not so sure as it was his Achilles heel at Liverpool and at Celtic and he’s showing no signs of learning from it thus far.

I actually thought against Liverpool and Man City he tried to be too clever with his formations and game plan . The team selection against Liverpool was bizarre and took me a while to work out the formation and add t to that them obviously  being way too good  for us he got it all wrong . I actually think us being 2nd is a false position for us, yes we are there on merit but in no way do  I think we are currently the 2nd best team in the Premier League . If we finish too 6 I’ll be happy if we finish top 4 I’ll be ecstatic. 

Edited by baldeagle