Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Liverpool Post Match Thread

A frustrating evening.  It was men against boys in terms of quality and also physicality.  I was disappointed, not to lose, but to be beaten so soundly.  Liverpool will have faced sterner tests against Brighton and Watford.  That said, we have a part to play here.  The two losses might well have dented our confidence as a team.  We as a fan base need to show our character and not crumble as soon as we meet slight adversity but to be positive and lift the tean and lift the flippin' mood.

1 hour ago, David Hankey said:

Never at the races. As an ex-goalkeeper myself approaching my 70th I could have saved Alisson the bother and played in my slippers!!

Leicester City's woeful display has handed the title to Liverpool. So congratulations to them and welcome to the elite club of EPL winners.

Nothing to do with their other 17 wins and a draw so far.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Yes..before we won sometimes against the big 6..then stolpered by ' even losing'

against the bottom 8..

So far..we have turned it around..that is actually proving to be the basis,that pushes us into top 4...

This is our 1st year and competing with a medium budget..

Exactly we’re still growing as a squad Brendan will bring in some quality ( hopefully!) we’re going to lose games this season I for one didn’t think we’d be 2nd at Christmas I thought we’d be hovering around 8-10th place this part of the season making a rush for top 5, we’ve been spoiled by some amazing performances from our lads now we’re getting spanked none of us like it but it was bound to happen!

Some players out there need to really look at their own performances and actually hold they’re hands up to how poor they’ve suddenly got, Chilwell is being targeted big style by the big boys we’re leaving far too bigger gaps in the wide spaces.

Certain players need to look at the basic pass instead of trying Hollywood passes Madders needs to look up more instead of trying to be like Beckham and take everyone on with his flash footwork, god knows what’s happened to Tielemans has he forgotten how to play ?

We’ve lost our way our Mojo whatever you want to call it but I’m sure after regrouping today we’ll get back to winning ways West Ham are in free fall we just need to keep our heads play as we know we can and stick together hoping Brendan chooses the right players to win!

were still second in the league TIL later maybe TIL Sunday come on Leicester sort your shit out and get back to playing football and win !!

12 hours ago, Corky said:

Rodgers wants to take these sides on which is admirable but it is time to be pragmatic, sit deep and look to hit them. We give far too much space in the centre and out wide and it is hurting us.

Space. They had the freedom of the City last night. Every time Henderson or Alexander Arnold had the ball they had 15 yards of empty pitch in front to ping passes or drive forward. The so called Brendan press was left out with the Christmas wrapping paper. There was nothing. If Mane and Salah had a half decent game it could have been 10 nil were so profligate and so were they. Even our defence was giving the ball away in dangerous areas. 

I'm not sure it's TRUE but there seemed a plack of effort last night that meant I couldn't sleep afterwards. I'm still seething... 

1 hour ago, SheppyFox said:

If we’d have played Bayern Munich we’d have looked out of form too.

If I was the only one saying it I’d take your comments on board but not sure if you watched the analysis but it was also mentioned then with comments such as we’ve hit a wall. It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s been a touch of winter sickness. There was 10 minutes before the peno where we looked organised and up for it, that peno was a blow to us

I'm trying to be rational about losing against Liverpool and Manchester City, the two best sides in this league. Also, two of the richest and two who had the luxury of time to develop under two different managers over the course of several years.

We are currently at the point where they were a couple of years ago, only at the beginning.

So, I'm not expecting us to beat these. But at least that our players put in a performance and that our manager knows what he's doing.

Both aspects went sadly missing in these two matches, and it stuttered at home against Norwich already.

The goal against Manchester City is the only highlight coming out of these two matches. Overall, what went on on the pitch was nothing short of an embarrassment, a near-annihilation. And that in front of a global TV audience.

We had little to no clue how to break through the opposition, no recipe against their attacks on the flanks, most of our youngsters ran around like headless chickens, without any sense of direction or order. We had NOTHING to offer in order to counter their threats.

I'm most disappointed by our midfield. Maddison, Tielemans, Praet, Barnes and Ndidi all have a lot to answer for. They allowed themselves to be suffocated in the middle or left without impact. Barnes continues to be harmless in front of goal, Maddison can't defend, Tielemans off the boil for a while now, Praet can't carry it all on his own, Ndidi currently a shadow of his former self. They were all ineffective and insufficient, anonymous. None of them took command in order to get out of the misery and break through Liverpool's or Manchester City's long spells of dominance.

Chilwell got schooled for the second time in succession. First against Mahrez, yesterday it was Firmino, Salah and most of all, Alexander-Arnold, who gave him the lesson of his life.

Yesterday was a matchup between a team that knew what they were doing and a team that was looking for direction. Again, I acknowledge that they are a well-oiled machine, led by a tenacious and meticulous manager.

I'm also disappointed by Rodgers that he's failed to adapt accordingly, rewarding a handful of players with starting spots that do not deserve it right now (Tielemans, Barnes) and that he failed to adapt to the situation on the day, either by fielding the wrong starting XI, by not switching formation around during matches or by not subbing certain players early enough. Maddison only works in the middle, as a CAM, not on the flank. Tielemans' stamina isn't high enough to play as a deep-lying central midfielder, it means too much running around for nothing. He's wasted there.

Vardy was left completely isolated up front, no service, no support. Shambolic.

All I wanted was to see some good football and us trying to match their speed and intensity and maybe make the games more interesting by scoring a couple.

What I saw instead was utter chaos and cluelessness.

It doesn't help when the referee comes across as being biased in favour of the two opposing teams, but that's not the proper excuse.

Get your finger out of yer behinds and show us a reaction against West Ham.

At least we now have the more "difficult" games out of the way. Just don't continue to crumble.

Edited by MC Prussian

No complaints about the results, like we were at the Etihad we were taken apart by a better side. Again like with the City game, it's not so much the defeat that leaves the sour taste but the manner of it. Bar Vardy's early breakaway goal we barely landed a punch on either team across both games. Also, in both fixtures we looked a couple yards of the pace from the first whistle. Last night the stadium was really up for it - Liverpool at home, Boxing Day fixture, pre-match light show (all be it it was a bit shit) to whip the crowd up - and then we gave the ball away about 4 times in the opening 5 mins trying to play out from the back. Then it fell a little flat.

There's no point in overreacting, this double header has been a reality check against teams who are a level up in terms of playing squad, financial resource etc. and they have unsurprisingly beaten us. However, I expect to see a response at West Ham where we really take the game to them.

Just want to apologise for last night's moodiness had a bad bad day with the in laws being all liverpool fans and having to spend the whole day and evening getting mashed by them so sorry if I upset anyone and sorry for saying a lot of stupid stuff :(

Edited by TeamRocket
  • Like 2

Horrible night that. 

How the ref can justify that penalty and not give one to Man city at Andield beggars belief. He has to be called up on that. Maybe liverpool might pipe down about Howard Webb now.

That said we were not at the races at all. Since promotion it was by far and away the best performance by an away team. 

We were in the back foot early on with the misplaced passes and never laid a glove on them. Liverpool are just a great side to force you into making mistakes. 

Tough watching the 3rd and 4th goals which they scored with ease but its suffering through last night that makes you treasure 2015/16 more and more.

The last week has been a rude awakening. We've suffered from the exertions of recent weeks. It was inevitable that we would have a slump at some stage. Even if we were in top gear we would have struggled the last 2 games. They are 2 of the best teams in the world and we were and are doing extremely well to be up there.

We face a huge task lifting lads up off the floor after that. West ham tomorrow comes at an awful time but there's still lots to be optimistic about. This isn't going to be a post Wycombe 2001 catastrophe. 

A big chance to redeem ourselves with the cup tie. Let's hope we can brush off the Christmas nightmare fairly quickly.

Edited by Blue ROI
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

I'm not sure what people were expecting really.

Aside from Villa away, we have really played well since November. 

I had another think about the game's and I legit think its our worst two games since promotion?  Did we lose 4-0 since our promotion in any other game, especially at home?

Some of you lot make me laugh. If Cags "had his arm behind his back when the ball hit it" then we have just seen the laws of physics altered in front of us 😂

What I haven't yet seen is if there actually was a deflection. If there was, then there is a case for no penalty, providing that the deflection was close to Cags when it happened. If there was no deflection, its a stonewall penalty. 

The TAA incident vs Man City was different to last night's as the ball was deflected onto his arm from close range by a touch from a Man City player. The rules allow for this, some of you may want to read them ;-)

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

I had another think about the game's and I legit think its our worst two games since promotion?  Did we lose 4-0 since our promotion in any other game, especially at home?

6-1 to spurs in May 2017. 5-0 at palace in 2018!

Edited by Blue ROI

25 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Just want to apologise for last night's moodiness had a bad bad day with the in laws being all liverpool fans and having to spend the whole day and evening getting mashed by them so sorry if I upset anyone and sorry for saying a lot of stupid stuff :(

I feel your pain mate. A bit tense in our house this morning as I didn't respond too well to the banter from my in-laws. All I did was point out that none of them were born or have ever lived within 150 miles of Liverpool and made reference to that fact that between 5 of them, they've made about 3 visits to Anfield....so they should all shut the **** up. With them getting their customary penalty, I had a bit of a full-on sweary meltdown lol

Edited by Paddy.
  • Haha 3

52 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

We got the tactics wrong yesterday. What we've done so well this season is start with the with a 433, and the two wingers (Perez and Barnes usually), who might not be amazing but have some ability and work hard. We keep it tight and then start to impose ourselves on the game, hence why we have been so much more effective in the 2nd half of games. For some reason yesterday we abandoned that, again, and opted for a system I've never liked, which shoves Maddison out on the left. Why on earth would we do that against a team with two of the most effective attacking full backs in europe? Maddison, when on the left is ineffective, or as he did yesterday, spends most his time drifting centrally. We basically gave TAA free reign whilst Chilwell had him and one of the front three to contend with.

I like Rodgers, we've been brilliant this season, and I hope he stays for a long time, because I can see him building some thing amazing here. But he does have a tactical blind spot in some games. Maddison should never be shoved put wide again, he's our creative spark, at the heart of all we do, why would you want to marginalise him? In games like this, where we think we'll be under pressure a bit, where we are second favourites, I'd much rather we dropped Tielemans and brought in Choudhury to add some bite to the midfield, if that's what we think we need.

This

17 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

No complaints about the results, like we were at the Etihad we were taken apart by a better side. Again like with the City game, it's not so much the defeat that leaves the sour taste but the manner of it. Bar Vardy's early breakaway goal we barely landed a punch on either team across both games. Also, in both fixtures we looked a couple yards of the pace from the first whistle. Last night the stadium was really up for it - Liverpool at home, Boxing Day fixture, pre-match light show (all be it it was a bit shit) to whip the crowd up - and then we gave the ball away about 4 times in the opening 5 mins trying to play out from the back. Then it fell a little flat.

There's no point in overreacting, this double header has been a reality check against teams who are a level up in terms of playing squad, financial resource etc. and they have unsurprisingly beaten us. However, I expect to see a response at West Ham where we really take the game to them.

This is true but we made it so easy for them also. Liverpool probably won't have an easier away game all season. Every other side seems to have put up a fight against them, so to speak (they needed a last min winner at Villa, a dodgy goalkeeping mistake at Sheffield United etc, they haven't gone anywhere and ripped a side apart like us have they?). We seem to scared against the bigger clubs. Yesterday, Saturday at Manchester City and at Old Trafford. I don't understand many things including Rodgers insisting on Maddison wide when we come up against the best right back in the league who is as good as a midfielder in terms of going forward.