Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Liverpool Post Match Thread

Kaspers comments after the game, very likely he will get a 1 game ban. Even though he was probably justified with his comments.

Liverpool were outstanding, we were set up poorly. How can you give Trent so much space and time on the ball without any pressure. 

From the first few seconds we were passing aimlessly and looked like we lost before kick off. Far too much respect show, albeit to a wonderful side. Should never play 4 cm in the same team, they get in each others way. Ndidi was the best of a bad bunch, he was often ahead of tielemans and Praet and Maddison. 

Maddison on the wing should never happen again, I hoped after united away Rodgers would know that. 

Always should play your best side, even in defeat we learn. Today looked like a team and certainly midfield who had no idea where to be. They switched play superbly and so often, moved the ball quickly in central areas. hopefully we can put it right against West Ham.

Cup semi final and 2/3rd in league tomorrow night. Still superb position and lots to look forward too. 

2 hours ago, erlee said:

The problem with Leicester/B.R. is too much tikki Takka and not enough direct football & esp in the last 1/4 of the opposition - just wasting all that tikki takka build up if you're just going to chip it into the box. Might be okay against the bottom feeders but won't work against top sides.

Season Greetings to all - and I come in peace,  I didn't follow B.R's time at Celtic, but I did follow his time at Liverpool and he was an idealist when it came to how to play the game. I was curious as to whether or not he had learned some pragmatism during his managing time in Scotland, but it doesn't seem that he has. The example I would like to mention is how he set the Liverpool team up to play Chelsea - yes, when Stevie G. slipped - in that game if we would have been set up to try and win, but be happy with a point we probably would have won the EPL that year. B.R. didn't really change anything thing and went in all guns blazing into that game.   He certainly didn't take a pragmatist approach to that match.   I think that is what the Leicester City supporters need to watch for - will B.R. ever be able to philosophically adapt to become a top tier manager - that is really the question.  If he is unable to do that I don't know how many English clubs will continue to give him a chance at making it in the EPL. I remember several posts on various Liverpool forums that stated that Brendan would probably be more successful in Spain, as his philosophy matches their league better than England.

That trait is one reason why I think Klopp is a better manager than Pepe at City.  Klopp has added and changed the way Liverpool has approached games each year. He has been very flexable. That has been fascinating to watch when I have been able to catch games.

Lastly, the PK comparison to the no call against City in Trent's favor.  I have seen both situations given and not given. Showing a still photo of Trent, in this Leicester game, doesn't compare the situations fairly - you need to see the full event at speed. Against City Trent was running full speed back towards his own goal when a City player tried to play a cross in and it hit another Liverpool player and then ricochet off the City player that crossed it. The ball went like a laser at Trent who was then in the process of trying to slow down in the middle of a sprint,  and he had his arms out for balance to do that - hence, the reason why I don't think that appeal for a PK was given - the ball played the man not the man played the ball.

The one tonight on the Leicester defender was different. He did have his arm out from his side, but I thought the important aspects were that one - he was in control of his body, as he wasn't running and two, he did seem to lean into the path of the ball to block it - that is why I think it was given.  

Lord knows we have had our share of calls that haven't gone our way - many Liverpool supporters think that Martin Atkinson has it out for us, and will try anything in his power to give calls against us to prevent Liverpool from winning the league.

Good luck to Leicester City the rest of the season! To all a Happy New Year!

39 minutes ago, smudger63 said:

Although they are certainly getting their fair share of decisions going there way.

If you take tonights penalty as an example, Soyuncu has his arm down by his side and clearly tries to unsuccessfully get the arm out the way, so the ball hits the arm, and its a Penalty in todays game, no problem with that, but then go back to the start of the Liverpool v Man City game at 0-0, the ball hits Alexander Arnolds out stretched arm, and no penalty given, Liverpool go up the other end and score, and the game has turned in an instant.

Normally i would say, thats just how different referees interpret the hand ball call, but in the case of tonight and the Man City v Liverpoool game, it is the same referee. Step forward Michael Oliver, well done for being so inconsistant with how you interpret the same decision!

Referees are clueless, it's nothing new, they'll still favour the big teams. VAR assistants are just the same too. Look at the decisions for the Barnes penalty vs Man City yet one was given a few hours before in similar circumstances.

I sat in SK4 today. You lot are a bunch of idiots. Stand up at the back with your arms folded doesn't make you a fan. Every time one of the youngsters got the ball....you moaned. You expected miracles.  No support for the first team. Just moaning the whole way through. I wish you realised how lucky we are to have these boys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well. this was a good level check.  We're clearly nowhere near as good as Liverpool or MC (which some of us had been noting all along) but it is a bit concerning that Rodgers' rep has always been great when things are going well, over his head when they start to go wrong.  That's why a situation like Celtic was perfect for him - it's a league with a "Big One".

What you see with Liverpool and MC are two teams who play system football perfectly.  They have the right players, and they totally understand how they play and trust the process.  We don't have that yet, clearly, and I think fitness is also an issue.  It's not like we're the only team with a heavy workload (indeed, the European sides have it worse) but they looked much fresher than us.  That's a function of a younger team not used to this grind.

The goal is and should always be to qualify for the CL.  That's still in-sight, as long as we take care of business.  Only one more game against the big two, so there are enough points there for us to do it if we get our act together.

42 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

We were schooled by a very impressive outfit. Pool are runaway leaders for a reason. They are so efficient and we'll drilled, you get nothing cheap off them at all. Yeah we can get hysterical and start a slagging thread on everyone of the starting 11, or we can just breathe and accept we are a new team still developing. We are not competing with Pool right now, they are infinitely better than us. We are about finishing top 4, and to date we're doing a cracking job. As long as Brendan can swing the lads back on course, all is still looking rosey at LCFC.

I get what you're saying but in my opinion this is the problem. We are second. This sort of attitude suggests we're there by accident. I believe we have a good team who can compete with Liverpool and at least give them a game. They are better than us but not 'infinitely' better. I'm angry because I feel like the team had the same attitude you do in the sense that they didn't believe they could compete and you're never going to win if you take that approach. Also, people are rightly pissed off because Brendan stuck with the tactics that failed so overwhelmingly in Manchester and surprise surprise, the same thing happened. I know that this Leicester team can compete with Liverpool which is why I'm fuming.....

...plus I watched it with the wife, the wife's best mate, my brother in law, his mrs and my father in law - all Liverpool fans*. Agony. 

*Obviously not a single scouser among them but the line 'at least I'm from ****ing Leicester' rings a bit hollow when you're being humped 0-4 at home.

• Like 1

Result aside we’re in a tremendous position,

let’s forget the the league Title and concentrate 

on getting the top four finish and possibly even a cup,
In some ways today’s result could be a blessing in disguise,

the players now know there not in a title race and can put the efforts into the above,

lets get a response at West Ham and Newcastle 

Edited by Russell sprout

1 hour ago, Bluearmy 316 said:

Credit to Liverpool best side I have seen live in the 28 years I have had a season ticket down Filbert Street/KP. 

everyone does need to bare this in mind, for me. they are the best team i’ve ever seen in my lifetime. they will break every premier league record this year and they’ll probably play half the season with a reserve squad whilst focusing on other cups. they are unbelievable. there has probably never been another team in the world who has a right back who could play up front, right mid, right back and centre mid for literally every other team in the league. and he’s only 20. 

but there was no point in us being there with rodgers’ tactics tonight. absolute piss take. 

• Like 1

I just don't get what he saw from that game in October where we created one chance all game (that we scored) and were kept in the game largely through Liverpool's poor finishing that made him think it was right to set the team up exactly the same way again. Maddison against TAA was madness. He ran the game.

Too many poor individual displays as well. Tielemans needs a rest. Barnes is sadly looking out of his depth. Vardy had absolutely no hope whatsoever.

We are routinely awful in these games, where we effectively rely on moments of magic like Vardy's goal at Man City to get anything.

Awful tactics. Liverpool will not have an easier game all season and that's no exaggeration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smudger63 said:

Although they are certainly getting their fair share of decisions going there way.

If you take tonights penalty as an example, Soyuncu has his arm down by his side and clearly tries to unsuccessfully get the arm out the way, so the ball hits the arm, and its a Penalty in todays game, no problem with that, but then go back to the start of the Liverpool v Man City game at 0-0, the ball hits Alexander Arnolds out stretched arm, and no penalty given, Liverpool go up the other end and score, and the game has turned in an instant.

Normally i would say, thats just how different referees interpret the hand ball call, but in the case of tonight and the Man City v Liverpoool game, it is the same referee. Step forward Michael Oliver, well done for being so inconsistant with how you interpret the same decision!

Interesting observation, I wonder what the background is of this referee and his history of decision making in Liverpool games.

I think there was a certain ref who kept been picked for man utd games time and time again and consistently gave them penalties, forgot the name though.

I agree Liverpool were much stronger, but let's all be honest that was a weak effort by City.

No fight and no attempt to nullify oppositions obvious strengths.

When we drew 0 0 with Wolves I thought Rogers had his eye on the next game.  These last 2 games I feel he has let the good run let him forget that this league needs adjustment game to game.

I'm not moaning, this is a great season, but we need to learn if we want to kick on.

Come on you blue boys!

So Leicester are now dreadful when we're on Amazon Prime.

Yes, let me blame that.

Was it some kind of efficiency drive to play like that? write the game off and remain strong for West Ham?

Same as the Man City game overall, really outclassed.

I know we're still second and bar Man City and Liverpool the rest of the league is very competitive, but we've all nailed our hopes on CL qualification, yet how would that team compete in the CL?

I know it's hypothetical, but I wouldn't have much confidence in a CL group game based on last night. 

If we really are going for CL, then players need to raise their standards, West Ham....let's see. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ashley said:

Seriously though. 

People leaving early at 3 then 4 nil down? Why? 

First time weve lost at home all season and the towel got thrown in, heads dropped.

As mentioned over and over again in the match thread also: People aren't fed up with us losing, they are fed up by the manner of defeat.

In the past four games, we've shown one half of good football. The other three were pretty much hideous.

Yesterday's second half was particularly embarrassing, received a hiding in a home game we haven't seen in a while.

And some need to work on the Friday, so want to beat traffic.

• Like 2

Eh, think these two games have been a result of a couple of things. One being our players getting overplayed. The other being Rodgers tactical naivete.

The players couldn't connect at all, had no fire. Sloppy passing, no energy. Textbook tiredness. And Tielemans + Barnes playing when essentially we were going to give all of our possession to them was a bit silly. I think Rodgers should have taken a leaf out of Puel's book.

Well that was a fun night. Completely outplayed and outclassed. Give Trent time on the ball and that's exactly what happens. 

What annoyed me the most was the starting line up. Didn't learn anything from the Man City game. Albrighton was clearly needed to help on the left. In saying that though I reckon Rodgers started Barnes for a reason. To be on the same pitch as Salah, Mane and Firmino and for him to experience first hand how good these are going forward. The people who sit directly behind me spent the first 60 mins berating Barnes. I was reaching boiling point when the bloke next to me went mad at them. **** sake give the kid a chance. 

Chilwell will be happy to see the back of them fixtures. I feel like we have been planning these games for the last 6 weeks. Looking ahead to them as fans instead of just taking it one game at a time. Thank god we have finished with Liverpool now. 

The only positive I can take out of this result is it reinforces the need to strengthen. You look at Liverpool and they have goal scorers all over the pitch. We have our main threat in Vardy. 

And to think, the team in 1st have just played the team in 2nd, at their ground and gave us a schooling. There is no way Liverpool lose it from here. They are a class outfit, as annoying as that is to admit, and also have last seasons heartbreak to drive them on to get the job done.

Oh and a mention for Vin Dijk, barely broke a sweat and looked every inch the worlds best CB. Just a class performance from him.