Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

20 minutes ago, MiDuck55 said:

Come off it Milo.

The payment of dividends is a well documented tax avoidance method. You seem to have omited to mention that as a basic rate tax payer (given  the £700 per month figure you quoted) the tax rate you pay on the dividends is 7.5% rather than  the full rate of 20% on income UK to £50k.

Chickens coming home to roost mate.

10 minutes ago, Milo said:

Maybe for cash in hand work, mate - but there is nothing in my line of work that allows me to do anything dodgy.

(And if you can make it so I pay 7.5% tax, then I'll hire you on the spot as my accountant) :thumbup: 

Do you accept cash? 

That 7.5% is only on dividends taken up to circa £35k though isn't it? Take any more than that out and you pay 33% tax I think...

Remember Milo also lives in the smoke so his cost of living is higher. 

Give the guy a break. If his customers have stopped paying him, how the fvck can he still run his Range Rover, employ a nanny and a gardener and send his kids to private school?

Lets have it right...

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, MiDuck55 said:

Come off it Milo.

The payment of dividends is a well documented tax avoidance method. You seem to have omited to mention that as a basic rate tax payer (given  the £700 per month figure you quoted) the tax rate you pay on the dividends is 7.5% rather than  the full rate of 20% on income UK to £50k.

Chickens coming home to roost mate.

Er I think they pay 19% corporation tax on profits before they can draw dividends.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Again, something nobody is talking about - This is the criteria necessary to class a virus as being a "High Consequence Infectious Disease" -

Definition of HCID

In the UK, a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) is defined according to the following criteria:

• acute infectious disease
  • typically has a high case-fatality rate
  • may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
  • often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
  • ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
  • requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely

• So why did the British Government downgrade Covid 19 and say it is no longer classed as an HCID? We have medics saying the hospitals are like a "warzone" and they've never seen anything like it before?
  •  
  • How can a virus that is not of "High Consequence" be bringing hospitals and staff to their knees in "unprecedented" scenes? Surely those on the frontline must be asking that same question, no?
  • But we never get any of the mainstream media and very few members of the public asking these questions??
Edited by Kendal Fox
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52128883

****ing idiots. I haven't seen family or friends for a couple of week and it seems that'll be carry on for a few weeks longer. I live alone, so this is especially hard. Yet these pricks think they can all meet up in the pub for a few pints because the rules don't apply to them. I'd love to go for a pint with a mate, love something as simple as dinner at my mums, but it can't happen at the minute.

It's shit. Firstly for the pub thinking they're better than everyone else, being open and thinking they can get away with it. Secondly for the people that went for the same reasons. 

Serves the pub right for being shut down. Karma. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Eddie large !!

It will take celebs dying for some of the general public to take this seriously....

Maybe it will also take the Government to re-grade the virus back to an HCID no?

Edited by Kendal Fox

5 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That 7.5% is only on dividends taken up to circa £35k though isn't it? Take any more than that out and you pay 33% tax I think...

Remember Milo also lives in the smoke so his cost of living is higher. 

Give the guy a break. If his customers have stopped paying him, how the fvck can he still run his Range Rover, employ a nanny and a gardener and send his kids to private school?

Lets have it right...

Looks as if the 7.5% rate applies up to £50k, as per 20% for standard rate income tax......and you get your first £2k of dividends tax-free in addition to your standard personal allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-dividends

@Milo should be adding a butler to his staff - and sending said butler to deliver charity hampers to us impoverished sole traders. :whistle:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

@Kendal Fox because as the article goes on to state....

image.png.48aae31f7a6d1db328f8cd4d565b5909.png

So "mortality rates (low overall)" correlates with frontline medical staff saying it is like a "Warzone" and "like nothing they've ever seen before..."??

You really think this is consistent?

Edited by Kendal Fox
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Does that HCID thing have an affect on how equipment will be ordered (PPE, ventilators etc) and the priority of it all? 

Not sure. But why haven't they addressed this to the public to clear things up? And again, how does something so "contagious" get downgraded so quietly?

Edited by Kendal Fox
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Kendal Fox said:

So "mortality rates (low overall)" correlates with frontline medical staff saying it is like a "Warzone" and like nothing they've ever seen before??

So this would imply you do not believe the statistics produced for the mortality rate?

Just now, st albans fox said:

No - it’s specifically  to wind @Kendal Fox up with his pedantry issues ! 

How am I being pedantic when we've had medical staff saying they are being brought to their knees with how infectious the disease is and it is like a "Warzone"?? Can't I be forgiven for finding it very confusing at the least?

6 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's shit. Firstly for the pub thinking they're better than everyone else, being open and thinking they can get away with it. Secondly for the people that went for the same reasons. 

Serves the pub right for being shut down. Karma. 

Reading the article I don't think they were fully open. It seems the landlord has got in touch with a bunch of regulars and invited them. So it wasn't numerous people walking in off the street. But it's still wrong. The landlord shouldn't have done it, they shouldn't have accepted.

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

So this would imply you do not believe the statistics produced for the mortality rate?

The statistics and text say we are experiencing "unprecedented scenes" with mortality rates leading to makeshift morgues needing to be built. You think that is a low rate? 

2 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

The statistics and text say we are experiencing "unprecedented scenes" with mortality rates leading to makeshift morgues needing to be built. You think that is a low rate? 

Sorry, I think statistics use numbers and not emotions as hard as that sounds. I am in no way making light of this situation, it is tragic for many. Solutions exist in science not emotion though.

14 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Looks as if the 7.5% rate applies up to £50k, as per 20% for standard rate income tax......and you get your first £2k of dividends tax-free in addition to your standard personal allowance.

@Milo should be adding a butler to his staff - and sending said butler to deliver charity hampers to us impoverished sole traders. :whistle:

Well blow me down - never knew that.

Ah well, at least I know what I'll be doing when this is all over.

Thanks chaps!

(Harrods hamper on the way, Alf)

Edited by Milo
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Sorry, I think statistics use numbers and not emotions as hard as that sounds. I am in no way making light of this situation, it is tragic for many. Solutions exist in science not emotion though.

But you have to admit the numbers being reported are exponential. How is that "low"?

As for emotional response, when you have medical staff themselves saying they can't believe what they are seeing, how is that going to make for a positive response? Moreover, they aren't saying the rate is low themselves, they are saying it's the opposite.

Edited by Kendal Fox

25 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

Well blow me down - never knew that.

Ah well, at least I know what I'll be doing when this is all over.

Thanks chaps!

(Harrods hamper on the way, Alf)

So make your wife, brothers, sisters, parents, in laws and kids directors, pay them £2k each tax free and then take it back with force. 

I’ll be your new accountant @Milo

Edited by Strokes
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

They really need to cut out the spin and provide clear, honest information.

This started more than a week ago:

- Hancock claimed that we had access to 12,000 ventilators but firms like Dyson & RR were working on providing a lot more

- The NHS stated that we actually had 8,000....but that more were on order from regular suppliers (which Hancock had presumably included in his figure)

The figure doesn't matter to uninformed punters like us (obviously it does matter to those on the front-line). But trust does matter at a time like this.

Nobody reasonable expects a govt to make no mistakes in a situation like this, but we need to feel that our govt is doing its best for us - and is giving us clear, honest information.

This really, really, really is NOT the time for bullshit, spin and PR....:mad:

They are 2-3 weeks too early with their promises.

Guest Markyblue
34 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Reading the article I don't think they were fully open. It seems the landlord has got in touch with a bunch of regulars and invited them. So it wasn't numerous people walking in off the street. But it's still wrong. The landlord shouldn't have done it, they shouldn't have accepted.

What did you do during the corona pandemic daddy....oh i went and had a couple of beers and killed some vulnerable people. 

45 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

So "mortality rates (low overall)" correlates with frontline medical staff saying it is like a "Warzone" and "like nothing they've ever seen before..."??

Overall mortality rates are low as loads of people have had it but not diagnosed, the hospitals are horrific because of exactly that but the people they see are the ones in a really bad way.

58 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

They really need to cut out the spin and provide clear, honest information.

This started more than a week ago:

- Hancock claimed that we had access to 12,000 ventilators but firms like Dyson & RR were working on providing a lot more

- The NHS stated that we actually had 8,000....but that more were on order from regular suppliers (which Hancock had presumably included in his figure)

The figure doesn't matter to uninformed punters like us (obviously it does matter to those on the front-line). But trust does matter at a time like this.

Nobody reasonable expects a govt to make no mistakes in a situation like this, but we need to feel that our govt is doing its best for us - and is giving us clear, honest information.

This really, really, really is NOT the time for bullshit, spin and PR....:mad:

I really think we are close to a tipping point. As the issues on testing and now ventilators continue to mount up then the government is going to come under immense pressure. There are maybe signs that approval ratings are going to turn against them.

"But a new Ipsos Mori poll, conducted from 27-30 March, might suggest that the British public could be starting to have doubts.

A total of 56% of respondents to the new poll said the restrictive measures put in place by the government on 23 March were taken too late. And only 35% of people said they were taken at the right time, with 4% saying they were taken too early."

There is also quite clearly a distance between what the government is saying  and have been promising will be delivered on testing and what is actually being delivered. There is also a distance starting to open up between some in the front line of the health service and the governement over the provision of PPE and the trust that it is getting to the right people at the right time. If our front-line health workers start to mistrust the Government we are in even bigger problems.

You can extend that down to what you might call the second line of health workers who look after the elderly and those with care needs, many of whom have no or little PPE whatsoever and don't look like getting any soon.

The next few weeks are going to be critical and the government, perhaps understandably are starting to flounder on certain issues. As Alf says this is the time for clarity and honesty and not bullshit or platitudes. We can leave that to Trump.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

What did you do during the corona pandemic daddy....oh i went and had a couple of beers and killed some vulnerable people. 

I’d probably not tell my kids that story to be honest.

• Haha 1