Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

15 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think the big corporations might come out the other side of this relatively untouched.Or even stronger.

Depends what they are "big" at doing tbh. BA, Virgin Airways, bit buggered I would say.

(Good, less fossil fuels please, lets not lurch from one global cockup to another)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, messerschmitt said:

Hi Izzy, genuine question, what support is there for sole traders, I think I'm classed as this, I'm self employed delivering advertising magazines and leaflets, as of last week the company that I collected from and got payed by, closed until further notice, so like you I've no income at all.

I'm no expert mate, but I think you can get a monthly grant worth 80% of your average income (up to £2500 per month) for at least the next 3 months.

Providing your income from self employment is less than £50k, you can apply on-line now at https://www.businesssupport.gov.uk/self-employment-income-support-scheme/

Good luck :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, Line-X said:

A sad indictment of the online world and the post-truth era that we now find ourselves subjected to. That's precisely the issue with democracy, it affords a voice to those that have nothing worthwhile to say.

Democracy biggest strength whilst being its biggest failing.

Everyone person has a voice, in order for democracy to exist, there must be an opportunity for all voices to be heard.

The speaking is never the issue in contemporary democracy, its the listening, or rather whom to listen too.

Dictatorship* provides one thing modern democracies cannot, a single point of truth.

* I am in no way suggesting this is a direction that Lord Protector Johnson should take.

8 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Why would you think that? 

Someone to blame ? 

id rather the masses blame the Chinese or usa govt rather than the Jews or the Muslims ............. many people always have a need to blame someone..... they can’t cope with the fact that stuff just happens .......... (how do they cope with the Big Bang?) 

26 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think the big corporations might come out the other side of this relatively untouched.Or even stronger.

Depends what you do. I don't work for a huge company, but we transport waste and recycling and feed the green energy sites. We've seen a little drop off due to so many businesses closing and a few sites have shut, but we're still doing ok, and at the minute looks like we'll come out the other side without too many battle scars. I imagine the big supermarkets are going to be doing very well during this. But huge companies like Next, M&S, John Lewis etc I would imagine will find this tough. Also as someone else said, airlines will struggle.

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Someone to blame ? 

id rather the masses blame the Chinese or usa govt rather than the Jews or the Muslims ............. many people always have a need to blame someone..... they can’t cope with the fact that stuff just happens .......... (how do they cope with the Big Bang?

Image result for buddy jesus

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Depends what they are "big" at doing tbh. BA, Virgin Airways, bit buggered I would say.

(Good, less fossil fuels please, lets not lurch from one global cockup to another)

Well if we get anywhere near normal again,we are likely to be more dependent on technology.Home shopping will also be far more common.Of course we were heading that way regardless.This will just speed the process up.Not just that though.The big corporations will be able to take advantage of any stock market rumblings.Not to mention a lot of the opposition being wiped out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Details here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

If you don't qualify for this (e.g. no 2018-19 self-assessment tax return submitted), I presume applying for Universal Credit is the main option, though there may be others. 

Edit: If you are eligible, as the link says, you cannot apply yet. HMRC will contact you, with payments due in June, I think.....though there's political pressure on the Govt to arrange for payments earlier.

Hi Alf,

Thanks for your reply, I think and am hoping that I fit that criteria, so I'm waiting and hoping for the HMRC to contact me, June seems a long way off though TBH I'm currently Ebaying stuff lol. All the best Alf

19 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I'm no expert mate, but I think you can get a monthly grant worth 80% of your average income (up to £2500 per month) for at least the next 3 months.

Providing your income from self employment is less than £50k, you can apply on-line now at https://www.businesssupport.gov.uk/self-employment-income-support-scheme/

Good luck :thumbup:

Hi Izzy, thanks for your help, I think I fit in that category so I'm hoping, I must admit to not fully understanding all the wording, Does "grant" mean I'll have to pay the money back?

Hope your situation improves.

1 minute ago, messerschmitt said:

Hi Alf,

Thanks for your reply, I think and am hoping that I fit that criteria, so I'm waiting and hoping for the HMRC to contact me, June seems a long way off though TBH I'm currently Ebaying stuff lol. All the best Alf

Alf is correct.  

My understanding is that the government will look at your previous three tax returns and work out your average monthly profit over the three years, then give you a taxable grant for 80% of 3 months profit.  The grant will be paid in June.

1 minute ago, messerschmitt said:

Hi Izzy, thanks for your help, I think I fit in that category so I'm hoping, I must admit to not fully understanding all the wording, Does "grant" mean I'll have to pay the money back?

You won't have to pay the grant back (it isn't a loan).  But the grant will count as income and is taxable.

Just now, messerschmitt said:

Cheers mate.

A grant is different to a loan so no, you don't have to pay it back. It will be taxable though, but in essence it's free money to make up for your lost earnings.

The pisser as Alf said is having to wait until June, but you should be eligible. Doesn't help with cash-flow right here, right now but better than nowt I guess :thumbup:

36 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Yes of course you are right.  Doesn't make anything he has said valid though.  

I’m not suggesting that Amazon have concocted this up by way.Im more of the belief that this has just happened.The big corporations will benefit from the majority of any major world changing event.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Cheers mate.

A grant is different to a loan so no, you don't have to pay it back. It will be taxable though, but in essence it's free money to make up for your lost earnings.

The pisser as Alf said is having to wait until June, but you should be eligible. Doesn't help with cash-flow right here, right now but better than nowt I guess :thumbup:

Yeah, I can testify to that lol

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, whoareyaaa said:

not in west london https://www.mylondon.news/news/health/london-coronavirus-watch-shocking-footage-18019150

Only yesterday it was revealed that another 38 patients had died at either Northwick Park or Ealing hospitals, which are both relatively close to North Acton station. The trust that runs the hospitals has seen more deaths of patients with coronavirus than any other trust in the country.

0_North-Acton-2.png

There must be more stringent rules for travelling on the tube. Could they be manned at the front and only used for NHS workers to travel or only travel if you have appropriate masks/coverings???