Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

12 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

As the virus spreads more, how many of these deaths being reported are actually caused by the Virus and not naturally occurring Heart attacks etc with Coronavirus found in the body post mortem but not the actual cause of death.

True but you could argue it the other way.

How many people who were deep in cancer or HIV treatment died of the virus but have been recorded as dying by cancer or HIV.

Not sure how our system actually works but Italy and Spain are reporting any death which has been tested positive to coronavirus, no matter where the person was already mortally ill in palliative care with another issue or not.

Edited by Sampson

36 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It beggars belief, it really does.

Why?  The fact is there are alread millions of people in the country who have it.  And those coming in are no more likely to have it thatn anyone else.  So what would testing them achieve?  If they have it and are very sick it would be bloody obvious, if they don;t you are only going to send them home, and they are going home anyway.  If there was any benefit to be had the government would be doing it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Why?  The fact is there are alread millions of people in the country who have it.  And those coming in are no more likely to have it thatn anyone else.  So what would testing them achieve?  If they have it and are very sick it would be bloody obvious, if they don;t you are only going to send them home, and they are going home anyway.  If there was any benefit to be had the government would be doing it.

:D

You might want to pass on that you know that millions already have it in this country, that's news to everyone else.

Edited by purpleronnie
  • Like 1

Guest MattP

Why political journalists rather than scientific ones are asking the questions in this news cycle is really strange. Peston is making himself look a tit on almost a daily basis now.

Guest Fktf
49 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

We are admitting more and more healthy men in their 30s.

I read somewhere - it might even have been on here - that once you're on a ventilator due to the virus you're very unlikely to recover. Does this chime with what you're seeing?

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'm not sure waiting every day for the latest death figures like we're watching soccer Saturday is helping mine or anyones mental health. I get importance in making sure people realise how serious it is currently but think I'm going to try and avoid these daily updates the best I can.

I don't know how many people die every day, for whatever reason, but its just something you never think about. Over 500 in 24 hours just seems ridiculous.

I think that people, like me, are watching the figures with interest, hoping to see a plateau then a fall.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, z-layrex said:

We are admitting more and more healthy men in their 30s.

I wonder if this is to do with the poor social distancing undertaken by many in this age group on the basis that it was an ‘old people’s disease’?   Especially in London,  many may well have exposed themselves to several doses of viral infection and it seems that the more you are exposed to this thing the harder your immune system finds it to fight it off. 

16 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It isn’t 

authorities estimate 1 death per 1000 people infected.  

I keep reading this, but only in this thread.  I though that mortality rate was at least 1% ?  Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%.

I don't think we'll know til the dust settles, but I think that your estimate is optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It isn’t 

It's only an estimate it's actually considerably higher than that, but I get the point on the possibility of millions being infected but i'm going on the numbers we know about now.  I guess it's almost impossible to estimate without sufficient testing...ahem.

18 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It isn’t 

Do you have a source for this anywhere? I keep seeing wildly different rates quoted by different people! Including 1% (from memory) at one of the government press conferences.

19 minutes ago, murphy said:

I keep reading this, but only in this thread.  I though that mortality rate was at least 1% ?  Flu has a mortality rate of 0.1%.

I don't think we'll know til the dust settles, but I think that your estimate is optimistic.

19 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

It's only an estimate it's actually considerably higher than that, but I get the point on the possibility of millions being infected but i'm going on the numbers we know about now.  I guess it's almost impossible to estimate without sufficient testing...ahem.

18 minutes ago, Magictv said:

Do you have a source for this anywhere? I keep seeing wildly different rates quoted by different people! Including 1% (from memory) at one of the government press conferences.

It was said a week ago by the CSO ....... maybe that means it’s rubbish !

I think the government used a 0.9% death rate in their models.

Sure I read that Chris Whitty and others thought it was more like 0.6%.

Still 6 or 9 times worse than flu at those rates though and the difference between 1 death in 1,000 and  1 death in 111 though. Which is huge on the scale of nations and the world.

That said all this anger over China's figures and misinformation the past couple of days makes me think they think it might be higher than that now.

Edited by Sampson

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Seems quick, was it that long since he test positive for it?

I think it was announced same day as Boris...less than a week?