Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

19 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

But you have to admit the numbers being reported are exponential. How is that "low"?

They were, as expected? Not sure if anyone knows what that is anymore. Just hoping we crest the brow of this particular peak and start to see a decline over the coming weeks

19 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

As for emotional response, when you have medical staff themselves saying they can't believe what they are seeing, how is that going to make for a positive response? Moreover, they aren't saying the rate is low themselves, they are saying it's the opposite.

Being on the front line, how can anyone have anything but a emotional response and that alone makes these folks staggering too me.

The rate is statistically low compared to some virus/diseases, but on the front line it will never seem low.

40 minutes ago, Kendal Fox said:

The statistics and text say we are experiencing "unprecedented scenes" with mortality rates leading to makeshift morgues needing to be built. You think that is a low rate? 

You really do struggle with the concept of mortality rates. If you have a system built for normal times with normal expected mortality, a shift upwards in absolute numbers will likely quickly take up spare capacity and overwhelm it. That doesn't mean mortality rates for the illness are high, just that it's added extra bodies to the mix. Likewise, unprecedented and low mortality rate aren't mutually exclusive. This isn't difficult.

The Advisory Committee on Dangerous Pathogens (ACDP) is also of the opinion that COVID-19 should no longer be classified as an HCID.

HCID seems to be a largely technical definition, irrelevant to much honestly no idea why it's a tree to bark up. Just look at who is on that committee https://www.gov.uk/government/groups/advisory-committee-on-dangerous-pathogens, I'm pretty confident they have the necessary expertise that random members of the public don't need to get into a tiswas about a label, as if that label would be making any difference right now.

• Like 2

Just now, Wymsey said:

There's no point in speculating.

Despite the sad present data of these recent figures, comments like this will make people panic.

This may well be the peak, or close to it, of the worst (hopefully) - and all we can do is to follow the government's guidance on this outbreak situation.

I apologise, yes you're right.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Happy Fox said:

I apologise, yes you're right.

Wasn't having a go, by the way. :thumbup:

We can only look after ourselves as best we can, and hope this doesn't get out of control.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

There's no point in speculating.

Despite the sad present data analysis of these recent figures, comments like this will just make people panic to be honest.

This may well be the peak, or close to it, of the worst (hopefully) - and all we can do is to follow the government's guidance on this outbreak situation.

Spot on Wymesy. We have no idea how this will go, and speculating isn't going to help. We just have to keep up with the partial lockdown measures and the social distancing, and see where it takes us. Easy to forget that these figures are likely to be relating to people who have picked up the virus pre lockdown, so lets see where we are next week and the week after. It's way to early to predict and let yourself get down about it.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Spot on Wymesy. We have no idea how this will go, and speculating isn't going to help. We just have to keep up with the partial lockdown measures and the social distancing, and see where it takes us. Easy to forget that these figures are likely to be relating to people who have picked up the virus pre lockdown, so lets see where we are next week and the week after. It's way to early to predict and let yourself get down about it.

3-4 Weeks typical time from infections to death.  It is going to get worse before it gets better unfrortunatley, but it will get better!

Maybe a few more leaders of European countries should take the drastic action that Hungary is taking. It's almost criminally negligent of our government to allow folk from Italy and elsewhere to enter this country without checks, if that is what's still happening.

Edited by String fellow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

I'm not sure waiting every day for the latest death figures like we're watching soccer Saturday is helping mine or anyones mental health. I get importance in making sure people realise how serious it is currently but think I'm going to try and avoid these daily updates the best I can.

I don't know how many people die every day, for whatever reason, but its just something you never think about. Over 500 in 24 hours just seems ridiculous.

1750 a day

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

3-4 Weeks typical time from infections to death.  It is going to get worse before it gets better unfrortunatley, but it will get better!

Exactly. I don't want to ignore the figures but I'm trying not to get to upset or down about them.

As @RowlattsFox say in the post that's just appeared above this one, I'm not sure it's good for people's mental health giving out these daily death figures. Some people are waiting for them and panicking as they grow. I think we need to keep the public minds concentrated on the severity of the situation without needlessly upsetting people with figures that are relating to people who contracted this weeks back.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Flights still coming in from China, Italy and USA. No checks when they land. I can't understand the strategy, I'm puzzled.

I had more health checks getting into my hotels when recently abroad than I did getting back into this country 

It can’t be easy but I’m unconvinced that the joined up thinking is occurring to the extent that it should be 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

Vast Majority of people flying in would need to be repatriated if the commercial airlines weren’t running  any way and the disease is already rampant here.

Stoping the flights would have made a difference two months ago but is pretty meaningless now.

• Like 1

How many unfortunate ones have passed away due to this virus, in total, now?

Even the young aren't immune from the potentially devastating effects of this virus; as a 13-year-old male and a 21-year-old female - both with no apparent previous medical conditions - have been victims of it in recent days.

Edited by Wymsey

Just now, Wymsey said:

Even the young aren't immune from the potentially devastating effects of this virus; as a 13-year-old and a 21-year-old - both with no apparent previous medical conditions - have been victims of it in recent days.

We are admitting more and more healthy men in their 30s.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Even the young aren't immune from the potentially devastating effects of this virus; as a 13-year-old and a 21-year-old - both with no apparent previous medical conditions - have been victims of it in recent days.

Think that 21 year old girl was released later to be death by a heart attack rather than coronavirus and the story was disproven.

Not that I'm taking away from anything you say.

Edit: just googled it. Apparently they've changed back to their original recording of death by Covid-19 in the past 24hrs.Probably concluded her heart attack was brought on by the virus in the end.

Edited by Sampson
  • Sad 1