Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What’s the point of that, all of a sudden we’re going to have millions of students wandering the nation. Wouldn’t locking the doors but keeping everyone inside be a better solution.

Loughborough University has been sending emails out describing what they expect staff and students to be doing if the university closes, specifically: working unless ill. I imagine most universities are the same.

4 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Loughborough University has been sending emails out describing what they expect staff and students to be doing if the university closes, specifically: working unless ill. I imagine most universities are the same.

2 minutes ago, Wrighty22 said:

The University I work for...

University I work at have been sending out emails regarding protocol for closures, lot of remote working systems put into place and regular updates on the situation in general.

Edited by UniFox21

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What’s the point of that, all of a sudden we’re going to have millions of students wandering the nation. Wouldn’t locking the doors but keeping everyone inside be a better solution.

let them eat cake 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

What’s the point of that, all of a sudden we’re going to have millions of students wandering the nation. 

You'll find it happens each year. It's called graduation and summer holiday. . 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

University I work at have been sending out emails regarding protocol for closures, lot of remote working systems put into place and regular updates on the situation in general.

Likewise. It sounds like a lot of international students are already making their way home. 

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I really don't get why the national advice isn't work from home if you can. It's so simple and not particularly disruptive.

Just now, Lionator said:

I really don't get why the national advice isn't work from home if you can. It's so simple and not particularly disruptive.

Because so many would take advantage of it, many don't have the infrastructure to have mass working from home either. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Many lecturers are being asked to make plans for teaching to be completed earlier or with distance learning. 

It's difficult because of the strike going on at the moment. We have been asked to make sure we are set up for remote access and to move towards online teaching, even thinking as far ahead as the autumn. 

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Yup, pretty much the same thing then - just ensuring everyone has remote access to the university's systems to operate away from campus.

1 minute ago, rachhere said:

It's difficult because of the strike going on at the moment. We have been asked to make sure we are set up for remote access and to move towards online teaching, even thinking as far ahead as the autumn. 

Identical here actually, my IT guys sent a big email out today asking everyone to have it checked and sorted asap.

Emails asking lecturers to be prepared for some students to miss start of the next academic year which is concerning.

2 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Yup, pretty much the same thing then - just ensuring everyone has remote access to the university's systems to operate away from campus.

Fortunately for me, there isn't a huge amount I can do away from work being based in a lab :D But knowing my manager, she'll find some crap for us to do

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Fortunately for me, there isn't a huge amount I can do away from work being based in a lab :D But knowing my manager, she'll find some crap for us to do

I'm also based in a lab, unfortunately my work is easily doable on my laptop. :plancque:

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Beechey said:

What stay in bed till midday. Shouldn't be a problem for most students.

We can easily work from home on a laptop in our job but our company are so reluctant to allow it. I was ill a few weeks ago and offered to work from home to save coming into the office and spreading germs but they were so against it and made me take a sick day instead.

Just now, pds said:

We can easily work from home on a laptop in our job but our company are so reluctant to allow it. I was ill a few weeks ago and offered to work from home to save coming into the office and spreading germs but they were so against it and made me take a sick day instead.

Problem is everyone has become so self entitled that even for the general health of everyone, their 1st though is remuneration.

My wife used to get an allowance towards her broadband for working from home which she was entitled to do once a week, under her contract. She probably did it once a month at a push. They have now revoked that roughly 3 months ago, yet now all her team are basically arguing if they have to work from home they want costs covering to do it.

****ing world has gone to pot. Just get on with it. If they haven't called the festival then I'm pretty sure we are safe to go down the city, the pub etc.

3 minutes ago, Beechey said:

PhD, it's even worse for us, you're lucky to see us on a normal day before 11am!

Wife's got a masters. And I've known her since she was 16. Trust me I have seen both sides of the student coin.:thumbup:

• Haha 1