Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

39 minutes ago, Ross-Kemp said:

The whole of Italy is locked down as of tomorrow morning. All funerals and weddings cancelled in the entire country.

Shit is serious.

Those Italians who fled Lombardy after getting advanced notice of the lockdown there, will now have advanced notice to flee the country. Great.

7 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Think I might start cooking my bats medium to well done from now on, or am I too late?

Don’t think that will help, as neither SARS nor corona jumped from bats to humans directly. You should be cooking your pangolins instead.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, brucey said:

Don’t think that will help, as neither SARS nor corona jumped from bats to humans directly. You should be cooking your pangolins instead.

Pangolin used to be class but his career went south quickly after leaving Roma.

3 minutes ago, Magictv said:

That's a few tweets from Jeremy Hunt with some calculations on potential numbers I thought were interesting

Ah yes, Jeremy Hunt, rhymes with... well, you know. The ex Minister for Health. Was shit ignorant then and is still shit ignorant now. Public school twat with no idea of reality, as that tweet demonstrates. The general public can assess the outlook by monitoring news and looking at facts and figures. Something Hunt has rarely done.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Ah yes, Jeremy Hunt, rhymes with... well, you know. The ex Minister for Health. Was shit ignorant then and is still shit ignorant now. Public school twat with no idea of reality, as that tweet demonstrates. The general public can assess the outlook by monitoring news and looking at facts and figures. Something Hunt has rarely done.

lol

I'm no great fan of his politics, just trying to share some info from someone I hoped might be reasonably well informed!

9 hours ago, MPH said:

yes.

They beat, torture their own people just for their faith- the Urghers ( sp!?) have often  talked about the torture and attempted brain washing by the chinese, who have denied this ( lied) and claim they are just  voluntarily attended education centers ( another lie)

the question from me is what have China ever done to earn your trust?

Wouldn't mind checking out a source on that one if they are available, then.

I am well aware that the Chinese government have done some heinous stuff now and previously and lied about it, but, again, I'll make the point that such regimes are based on self-preservation and tend to lie when there's something in it for them to do so.

I don't know what that is, you haven't told me what it is beyond "well, they always lie anyway so there" and no one else has either, so without a motive for the lie I'm going to continue to assume that they aren't lying on this one - why should the default position regarding such a regime be that they lie indiscriminately when evidence shows it is quite obvious that they lie in positions where they stand to gain something? It's irrational. Put simply, I trust them to lie only when it's in their own self-interest to do so, because there's so logical reason for them to do so otherwise.

Of course, should a motive be put forward I'd be happy to have a look, as before.

Edited by leicsmac

10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Wouldn't mind checking out a source on that one if they are available, then.

I am well aware that the Chinese government have done some heinous stuff now and previously and lied about it, but, again, I'll make the point that such regimes are based on self-preservation and tend to lie when there's something in it for them to do so.

I don't know what that is, you haven't told me what it is beyond "well, they always lie anyway so there" and no one else has either, so without a motive for the lie I'm going to continue to assume that they aren't lying on this one - why should the default position regarding such a regime be that they lie indiscriminately when evidence shows it is quite obvious that they lie in positions where they stand to gain something? It's irrational. Put simply, I trust them to lie only when it's in their own self-interest to do so, because there's so logical reason for them to do so otherwise.

Of course, should a motive be put forward I'd be happy to have a look, as before.

there’s so many sources all over there internet forgive me but i have just got back from work. there really are lots. 

there’s also plenty of stories that talk about how the chinese curtailed all outside media from reporting on the coronavirus when it first emerged out. 

They have also stopped ordering test kits- bit hard for people to test positive  if they are not being tested isn’t it?

Why anyone would believe a single thing the chinese government say is beyond me. The chinese state-run media are even trying to claim the latest strain of the corona virus didn’t originate from china- it started somewhere else!

Edited by MPH

12 minutes ago, MPH said:

there’s so many sources all over there internet forgive me but i have just got back from work. there really are lots. 

there’s also plenty of stories that talk about how the chinese curtailed all outside media from reporting on the coronavirus when it first emerged out. 

They have also stopped ordering test kits- bit hard for people to test positive  if they are not being tested isn’t it?

Why anyone would believe a single thing the chinese government say is beyond me. The chinese state-run media are even trying to claim the latest strain of the corona virus didn’t originate from china- it started somewhere else!

I'll have to have a look, then.

As for the bold, I think that's already been explained above - the self-interested monolithic regimes (as the Chinese government are and the USSR were) lie and cover-up when it's of interest for them to do so and they have something to gain in terms of power, not indiscriminately. Saying that they (or any other human tbh) just lies consistently for no good reason is simply creating something of a caricature IMO. I think this is quite clear.

1 hour ago, shanetko said:

This is the beginning of a very sobering twitter thread on the situation in Italy 

Sounds like the sort of thing you'd see in a third world country. 

Scary stuff and it seems entirely possible we could be in the same situation in the weeks ahead. 

Guest Cujek
21 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Italy isn't the rest of the world. So, one shouldn't deduct from their situation and conclude that it is similarly bad or threatening in other places.

As much as I can sympathize with this doctor, he's arguing from a personal point of view. The Italian Health Care system is one of the best and one of the worst:

https://www.thelocal.it/20190322/what-can-italy-teach-the-rest-of-the-world-about-health

It's not just the virus itself, it's infrastructure and personnel (availability) that determine how quickly and how efficiently you can cope with the issue.

When I read that Italian hospital staff are contracting the virus, then infecting others then I wonder how well-equipped and how serious about quarantine and safety protocol they truly are, it reeks of negligence (but that is just my view looking in from the outside).

So, as much as concern is valid for the case of Italy, it remains to be seen how chaotic or overwhelming the situation will be in the remaining European countries.

Based on recent reports, already half of the previously infected global population is recovering.

I think the authorities are very serious about stopping it and imposing a strict quarantine.

Also having visited Italy on numerous occasions, i know the people are not to bothered about rules and regulations.

if the Germans are told to quarantine, it would be lesson on how to do it, if we were told to do it, it would be ok but there would be the odd idiot, the French are used to barricading themselves in so they would be ok.

you tell the Italians to  to do something and they actively try to do the opposite, look at their traffic situation, no right turn sign? that must surely mean you must turn right, no over taking? that just means do it quicker so its out the way.

im not even sure what quarantining will achieve, if you have to go hospital with the virus then the likely hood is that you will pass it on, as you will either be very sick or dying / dead.

Health workers are so at risk its untrue and i do not envy them at this time, whilst they can be protected to a certain degree, if you work with pig shit, you are gonna get pig shit on you at some point, its inevitable.

just hope everyone stays as safe as possible and keeps their elderly relatives safe.  

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'll have to have a look, then.

As for the bold, I think that's already been explained above - the self-interested monolithic regimes (as the Chinese government are and the USSR were) lie and cover-up when it's of interest for them to do so and they have something to gain in terms of power, not indiscriminately. Saying that they (or any other human tbh) just lies consistently for no good reason is simply creating something of a caricature IMO. I think this is quite clear.

of course it’s a big incentive to cover up the coronas virus . why do you think they tried to do that in the first place when it first broke out? Their economy has taken a massive hit and there exports have nose dived.  Big time.

2 minutes ago, MPH said:

of course it’s a big incentive to cover up the coronas virus . why do you think they tried to do that in the first place when it first broke out? Their economy has taken a massive hit and there exports have nose dived.  Big time.

...so they would lie about it in order to protect their economic infrastructure and no other reason?

I suppose given the size of that infrastructure that's reason enough, yeah. I'm not totally convinced that covering it up would actually end up helping in the long run, though - they tried to do that with SARS and it ended up likely costing them more than it would have saved them to be transparent. Reputation matters in such things, after all - if the folks you want to sell stuff to think that you're lying about your capability to produce those products - regardless of the reason why - then they might not want to deal with you, after all.

Guest Cujek
7 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...so they would lie about it in order to protect their economic infrastructure and no other reason?

I suppose given the size of that infrastructure that's reason enough, yeah. I'm not totally convinced that covering it up would actually end up helping in the long run, though - they tried to do that with SARS and it ended up likely costing them more than it would have saved them to be transparent. Reputation matters in such things, after all - if the folks you want to sell stuff to think that you're lying about your capability to produce those products - regardless of the reason why - then they might not want to deal with you, after all.

Of course the CCP would cover it up, they would never admit that they need help, or if you believe some of the conspiracies flying around, accidentally released a man made pathogen into the world.

They are so arrogant that they would not even think their reputation is damaged, plus the entire world relies on the crap they produce they know that and they know that people will still buy their crap because it is the cheapest produced crap in the entire world.

Its almost like the virus chose the worlds 2 most unreliable governments to interact with.

I dont think we can rely on our governments to save us and its down to us as individuals to help our selves as much possible, i certainly dont trust Boris to have mine and my families best interests in his head.

Edited by Cujek

3 minutes ago, Cujek said:

or if you believe some of the conspiracies flying around, accidentally released a man made pathogen into the world.

Why would anyone do that? The freaks that promulgate and perpetrate this shit through promoting ignorance, fear and prejudice are almost invariably more distrustful and agenda driven that the governments that they decry. 

• Like 1

It's interesting really...

I've been guilty of taking the piss and not treating this seriously over the last few weeks. Personally, I'm pretty relaxed about it all and believe that when your number up, your numbers up so I'm just carrying on as normal.

But what I'm starting to realise though is how many people are genuinely scared about this. Recent conversations with friends and clients have been littered with examples of people who have OCD, respiratory problems and elderly relatives who are ill, and therefore genuinely want to withdraw from social groups through real fear.

I guess we all just need to follow the expert guidelines and do the right thing for the greater good.   

• Like 2

I suffer with respiratory issues and have three times managed to get pneumonia in the past; which of course as a 30 something year old, I've always recovered from.

I'm not panicked. 

I mainly worry about the elderly to be honest as with most flus, it really is them at the most risk.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

It's interesting really...

I've been guilty of taking the piss and not treating this seriously over the last few weeks. Personally, I'm pretty relaxed about it all and believe that when your number up, your numbers up so I'm just carrying on as normal.

But what I'm starting to realise though is how many people are genuinely scared about this. Recent conversations with friends and clients have been littered with examples of people who have OCD, respiratory problems and elderly relatives who are ill, and therefore genuinely want to withdraw from social groups through real fear.

I guess we all just need to follow the expert guidelines and do the right thing for the greater good.   

I think I've upped my concern level a bit. I'm not worried so much about catching the virus, but I do worry about the effect of a few weeks or months of turmoil in the country. An overwhelmed NHS (my wife works in Intensive Care and they're under pressure at the best of times), disruption to travel and transport, economy etc.

I'd like to think that even if things get bad that we can ride it out, but it doesn't take much for things to start tipping over into social disorder, and there are plenty of policiticians out there who will try and score points about this.