Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

31 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Thanks for the info Alf. So basically there are less confirmed cases in Egypt, with less deaths than the Uk? Or am i reading that as a positive, as i don't want to cancel the holiday AGAIN. 

Yes, those are the official figures, but some doubt has been cast on their reliability.

The reports has the official total number of infections for Egypt at 59, yet says that 45 people with coronavirus were taken from a single cruise ship and placed in isolation.....

Is it credible that in a country with a population of almost 100 million, 75% of coronavirus victims were on a single boat?

It might be credible, I suppose, as the virus probably reached Europe before Egypt so might have been taken there by tourists - and cruise ships have already been shown to be places where the virus spreads rapidly.....but that in itself suggests that a Nile cruise might be very high-risk (multiple people infected on cruise ships off China/Japan and USA).

I must be honest, Suzie. I was bottling out from expressing an opinion when I replied. In fact, I share @Detroit Blues' opinion. If I were in your situation, I'd be looking at the best way of postponing or cancelling.

If I was going on my own, relatively young and in good health, maybe I'd risk it. But with an elderly parent, I definitely wouldn't.....but maybe I'm just a wuss?

Apparently reputable people expect the situation in this country in a fortnight to be like it is in Italy now - and airlines are cancelling most flights to and from Italy, aren't they?

Is it worth the risk going to a country where the coronavirus situation is unclear, one that presumably has a less than perfect health system - and conceivably ending up with you or your mother ill or in isolation - or maybe struggling to get home to a country that might itself be suffering more chaos by then?

I appreciate that it would be massively disappointing to you and your Mum to have to postpone/cancel, and it might have financial implications - and the trip might go ahead enjoyably, but it seems very high risk to me.

Are there other, well-informed sources that might be able to offer advice: e.g. Embassy/Foreign Office or whoever you booked the trip with? Apart from anything, there must be a chance that trip organisers will start cancelling such trips? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fktf said:

A bit scary, isn't it. We're expecting our first at the moment, but are only about 20 weeks along. Something that might be of comfort to know is that a handful of very pregnant women in China contracted the virus before delivery, and it seems it isn't passed to baby, and nor does it seem to cause any complications. I know that doesn't speak to getting into the hospital, but hopefully somewhat reassuring to hear.

Congrats! 

56 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

I found this link to be an interesting if not quite terrifying read. Makes me feel like more urgent action is required.

I'm torn over this, if we're expecting we will have to go into lockdown at some point in the not too distant future why are we not doing more now. If all people with the capacity to work from home do then it will slow the spread, same with large gatherings of people at sporting events.

Or do we actually have it under control, the jumps in numbers are alarming but still quite small, fewer than 500 out of a population of 66 million is a pretty small percentage.

We haven't had any concentrated outbreaks like the towns in Northern Italy, and most are able to be traced back to foreign travel to infected areas. Then I swing back the other way why are we not doing more with people coming back from abroad. The woman on BBC breakfast this morning who came back from Italy wasn't fully aware of what she needed to do and there wasn't any guidelines at the airport so got on the tube.

This weekend I'm supposed to be seeing my parents who are close to that at risk age, but with no underlying health issues and we don't know if it's worth the risk...

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

I'm torn over this, if we're expecting we will have to go into lockdown at some point in the not too distant future why are we not doing more now. If all people with the capacity to work from home do then it will slow the spread, same with large gatherings of people at sporting events.

Or do we actually have it under control, the jumps in numbers are alarming but still quite small, fewer than 500 out of a population of 66 million is a pretty small percentage.

We haven't had any concentrated outbreaks like the towns in Northern Italy, and most are able to be traced back to foreign travel to infected areas. Then I swing back the other way why are we not doing more with people coming back from abroad. The woman on BBC breakfast this morning who came back from Italy wasn't fully aware of what she needed to do and there wasn't any guidelines at the airport so got on the tube.

This weekend I'm supposed to be seeing my parents who are close to that at risk age, but with no underlying health issues and we don't know if it's worth the risk...

The delay is the belief that only 2-3 weeks of lockdown is possible before people stop following the rules, so you aim that period to have the highest impact, which is probably about a week away imo.

I have cancelled seeing my mum tomorrow.

Edited by Jon the Hat

can't help but occasionally thinking fu cking hell how much fun would this have been if you were still in school. would've been the absolute chaos a havoc causing 15 year old me would've CRAVED 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

can't help but occasionally thinking fu cking hell how much fun would this have been if you were still in school. would've been the absolute chaos a havoc causing 15 year old me would've CRAVED 

Fully agree, the chaos it would have caused.

2 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

this is so exciting.

our team have been told to stay at home for the rest of the week by work. but they're still happy for me to go to london tomorrow for a meeting. go figure

One of your bosses wants you dead. :ph34r:

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

the kids will think this is great for about the first day off school, then they will want to see their friends etc which defeats the object.  Disney+ subscription is immiment I feel.

The Italian government have provided Amazon Prime Video for the whole country free of charge, which is great.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

I don't think any country will fully have it under control until a vaccine is available. It's going to get bad at some point but the longer it takes to get there, the more likely it is that we'll have a better outcome.

We're increasing testing to 10,000 a day here. Fantastic. Surveillance is incredibly important so that we can isolate at risk people. And we have extra time to prepare for this wave whereas Italy have not.

I don't think we've done particularly great so far (South Korea aside, nobody has) especially with travel advice and testing but the government commitment today is reassuring and I don't think in any way our response has been disastrous. Public Health/Psychology stuff has been a success.

Only you can make that judgement with the last point. Weigh up the evidence, do you know anybody who's had a cold/flu recently? Have you been to any large social gatherings? How well are your parents? If they're below that at risk age and have no underlying health issues, then I don't think we're at a stage where we have to cancel our personal lives. Just be sensible and use your initiative.  

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

The delay is the belief that only 2-3 weeks of lockdown is possible before people stop following the rules, so you aim that period to have the highest impact, which is probably about a week away imo.

I have cancelled seeing my mum tomorrow.

There's several steps they can take before a total lockdown at the moment all we're getting is wash your hands and what the symptoms with some reactive testing. Nothing preventative seems to be happening.

There seems to be too much of this :dunno: and this  :fc: 

Those weighing up travel decisions, unless it's a country which is absolutely transparent about it's statistics (which is pretty much 0 at this point) then what's the point in going? 

Will you enjoy it? Probably not.

Unless you're desperately unlucky, you'll get another chance to travel in 6 months+, this is not going to be a forever issue. Change your mindset for a few months, learn a new language/musical instrument or get into running/toilet roll origami.  

32 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

this is so exciting.

our team have been told to stay at home for the rest of the week by work. but they're still happy for me to go to london tomorrow for a meeting. go figure

It's all going tits up isn't it!

17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Only you can make that judgement with the last point. Weigh up the evidence, do you know anybody who's had a cold/flu recently? Have you been to any large social gatherings? How well are your parents? If they're below that at risk age and have no underlying health issues, then I don't think we're at a stage where we have to cancel our personal lives. Just be sensible and use your initiative.  

They went to the game on Monday and I predominantly work from home so I'm probably more likely to get it from them.

My bigger concern is the other half who commutes to central London and the nipper who is in nursery, so far plenty of hand washing and sensible precautions with no signs of infection. I'd just feel awful if our visit gave them a potentially life threatening illness.

2 minutes ago, Captain... said:

They went to the game on Monday and I predominantly work from home so I'm probably more likely to get it from them.

My bigger concern is the other half who commutes to central London and the nipper who is in nursery, so far plenty of hand washing and sensible precautions with no signs of infection. I'd just feel awful if our visit gave them a potentially life threatening illness.

Young children are pretty much all asymptomatic, they don't know why but it's simply not affecting them. 

It's your judgement at the end of the day. If you don't feel comfortable then all being well you'll be able to rearrange for a few weeks time?

Just now, Lionator said:

Young children are pretty much all asymptomatic, they don't know why but it's simply not affecting them. 

It's your judgement at the end of the day. If you don't feel comfortable then all being well you'll be able to rearrange for a few weeks time?

Which doesn't of course mean they can't spread it to other people!

• Thanks 1