Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest Cujek
2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Why would anyone do that? The freaks that promulgate and perpetrate this shit through promoting ignorance, fear and prejudice are almost invariably more distrustful and agenda driven that the governments that they decry. 

Just because something is incomprehensible to you does not make it untrue, im also not saying that is the case, im just saying if some of conspiracies are to be believed, i try to read everything i can, whether that be mainstream media, or more... unusual streams of information

I genuinely do not know what to believe in this scenario now,  all i see is a lot of people in power having no real clue what to do, in previous epidemics there has been a measure of control, in this one there is very little, its almost like there is a hit and hope policy going on

What I do know is that a first world European country does not quarantine 60 million of its citizens for the flu.

i think we wont know what the situation is for at least 2 to 3 weeks, until then there will be uncertainty and anxiety.

As i keep saying, just keep looking after your selves and your friends, be excellent to each other, we as the British people can get through this.

14 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Of course the CCP would cover it up, they would never admit that they need help, or if you believe some of the conspiracies flying around, accidentally released a man made pathogen into the world.

They are so arrogant that they would not even think their reputation is damaged, plus the entire world relies on the crap they produce they know that and they know that people will still buy their crap because it is the cheapest produced crap in the entire world.

Its almost like the virus chose the worlds 2 most unreliable governments to interact with.

I dont think we can rely on our governments to save us and its down to us as individuals to help our selves as much possible, i certainly dont trust Boris to have mine and my families best interests in his head.

...but they would help themselves (self-interest) through being transparent about it.

Look, just to be absolutely clear, I'm definitely in agreement that the Chinese government lies and covers up heinous stuff on a pretty damn regular basis and they are governed, pretty much entirely, by the instinct of self-preservation. However, in this particular instance, I haven't seen enough conclusive evidence to prove that being on the make about it would benefit them in the long run and so tally with their rather pragmatic world-view.

Guest Cujek
3 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

What intrigues me; in a dark sort of way; is the question of whether this virus can mutate/evolve quickly? Its obviously not overly serious for most people who contract it; but could it suddenly mutate and become more deadly for all?

Virus' can always "mutate" but virus' that mutate or start out being highly lethal tend not to do well, if they kill their host to quickly its chance of being passed on decreases thus wiping its self out.

Ebola for example is easy to see and easier to contain.

1 minute ago, Cujek said:

Virus' can always "mutate" but virus' that mutate or start out being highly lethal tend not to do well, if they kill their host to quickly its chance of being passed on decreases thus wiping its self out.

Ebola for example is easy to see and easier to contain.

Strikes me that this isn't killing many of its hosts; so if its as virulent and contagious as is often being reported, then I suppose we'd better hope it doesn't suddenly become more deadly?

Guest Cujek
2 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Strikes me that this isn't killing many of its hosts; so if its as virulent and contagious as is often being reported, then I suppose we'd better hope it doesn't suddenly become more deadly?

This is a really good video and very informative, it should answer some of your questions better than i ever could.

27 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Why would anyone do that? The freaks that promulgate and perpetrate this shit through promoting ignorance, fear and prejudice are almost invariably more distrustful and agenda driven that the governments that they decry. 

It's not like theres even a facility such as a bio lab in the area of the initial outbreak.  Madness .

47 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

What intrigues me; in a dark sort of way; is the question of whether this virus can mutate/evolve quickly? Its obviously not overly serious for most people who contract it; but could it suddenly mutate and become more deadly for all?

I've already posted this, but it's worth posting again if you haven't watched it. It's already mutated.

It's annoying when you see grown adults coughing away, without their hands over their mouths.

See it all the time.

People can easily can help prevent the risk of things spreading if they use their brains a little bit more.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

https://nextstrain.org/ncov?c=location&m=div plenty of coronavirus mutations have already been discovered. Like any RNA virus it undergoes nucleotide mutations which can alter the amino acid sequence and their function, most of the times the mutations are silent though.  

Just now, Wymsey said:

It's annoying when you see grown adults coughing away, without their hands over their mouths.

People can easily can help prevent the risk of things spreading if they use their brains a little bit more.

See it all the time.

It is. And people in our office are still not washing hands after using the bathroom and not using the santitiser on entry/exit to the building

image.gif

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think I've upped my concern level a bit. I'm not worried so much about catching the virus, but I do worry about the effect of a few weeks or months of turmoil in the country. An overwhelmed NHS (my wife works in Intensive Care and they're under pressure at the best of times), disruption to travel and transport, economy etc.

I'd like to think that even if things get bad that we can ride it out, but it doesn't take much for things to start tipping over into social disorder, and there are plenty of policiticians out there who will try and score points about this. 

This is my worry. I think in terms of the virus itself, yes there will be those who are vulnerable to it, we'll all most likely get it in some form in the future and we'll all deal with it in varying ways, for most of us it will have little impact.

My worry is the growing fear and panic - I went shopping last night and honestly I've never seen a supermarket like it, the place had been ransacked with most items low or gone. As someone who is fairly laid back and not overly concerned, even I had a moment where I started to worry slightly.

If it goes on for too much longer the impact on the economy and markets will grow and the last thing we want is another recession, job losses, financial issues etc.

17 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

My worry is the growing fear and panic - I went shopping last night and honestly I've never seen a supermarket like it, the place had been ransacked with most items low or gone. As someone who is fairly laid back and not overly concerned, even I had a moment where I started to worry slightly.

It genuinely is worrying.

There was probably no need for people to stockpile at first, but because some did anyway we now have a lack of supply when those items are needed, and everyone else is thinking of stockpiling themselves to counteract the shortages from stockpiling and... it's a vicious cycle. Hopefully this initial rush is short-lived and the supply chain can keep up for long enough for normality to resume, otherwise people could be in trouble and who knows where that would lead...

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

If he is like most owners, imagine the amount of hands he shook at that game...

our owner gives us scarves, beers and doughnuts.

Forest's owner gives them coronavirus 

lol

(I know it's not really funny though.....)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

lol

In all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear that the Forest owner has contracted coronavirus.

I was hoping he'd have caught Dutch Elm Disease or Ash Dieback. :ph34r:

4 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

lol

Some lad on twitter posted a picture of him with the owner before the game on Friday, comments are starting up on it now lol

1 hour ago, lcfc278 said:

This is my worry. I think in terms of the virus itself, yes there will be those who are vulnerable to it, we'll all most likely get it in some form in the future and we'll all deal with it in varying ways, for most of us it will have little impact.

If it goes on for too much longer the impact on the economy and markets will grow and the last thing we want is another recession, job losses, financial issues etc.

I appreciate your fears, mine are that my wife who has undergone so much sh#t with breast cancer treatment doesn't catch this fcuker.

We all have different priorities I suppose

Edited by The Guvnor

2 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I appreciate your fears, mine are that my wife who has undergone so much sh#t with breast cancer treatment doesn't catch this fcuker.

We all have different priorities I suppose

I'm the same, my Mum has underlying lung conditions and breast cancer in the past. She'd more than likely suffer if she contracts it.