Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Really interesting Reddit thread. My thoughts are in line with the doctors, we should be locking the country down asap - encouraging measures to keep people at home and banning events where lots of people attend. All non critical flights to areas with any risk should be cancelled.

We will do all of these things, but we will do them all too late. Our government is inept and is clearly prioritising economics over the people.

"Absolutely. In a little over a week our (national) critical care occupancy for COVID has increased from 1 to ~20. There are a number of patients now on ECMO. Perhaps more worryingly, we have positive tests in a number of inpatients, on open wards, across different sites, with no travel history. A significant number of new diagnoses are patients presenting to the emergency department with hypoxaemia, fever, lymphopaenia, bilateral CXR infiltrates. This wasn't happening a week ago. Trusts are putting plans in place to cancel elective procedures and escalation plans for ICU capacity, but these are all local, hospital plans."

That for me is quite telling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Problem is everyone has become so self entitled that even for the general health of everyone, their 1st though is remuneration.

My wife used to get an allowance towards her broadband for working from home which she was entitled to do once a week, under her contract. She probably did it once a month at a push. They have now revoked that roughly 3 months ago, yet now all her team are basically arguing if they have to work from home they want costs covering to do it.

****ing world has gone to pot. Just get on with it. If they haven't called the festival then I'm pretty sure we are safe to go down the city, the pub etc.

We're an American company so probably explains it.

• Haha 1

I work in a chilled warehouse for a major supermarket, no home working for me. Dread to think what'll happen if we have any issues from this. Would make a change for them to enforce absenses though, usually if you're not in a coma you're expected to be there.

I went to makro last week, they had mountains of toilet roll, pallets and pallets of the stuff (as they do all year round), went today and they had none. ****ing ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, bmt said:

She was with bojo on Thursday too. Kinda hope he gets a mild version of it, feel like it might speed up our response.

Maybe the UK will now get the 40 hospitals and the nhs will get 350m a week too like promised

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lionator said:

A log scale really isn't the best way to measure this and graphs like this can be manipulated to make things look a lot better or worse depending on a person's intention. If you used an exponential or lineal curve you'll see that we're below where Italy were at this stage by quite a long way. We have more thorough testing than Italy did at this stage and crucially those 13.5 give us more time to test and prepare in comparison to Italy. A lot of accounts from Italy indicate that people weren't taking government recommendations seriously AT ALL at the start, whereas I feel that people in this country are a lot more aware of self-isolation advice as well as public health advice (hand washing does work) even though there are still a number of it's only flu bro morons. 

I could be wrong but I would be surprised if it got as bad as Italy, that's not to say that it won't be bad. 

Not sure what you mean by the bit that I’ve highlighted. A log scale is exactly how to view a suspected exponential function as the log of an exponential is a linear function (straight line graph). For Italy it looks like a change of slope (reduction) about 8 days ago, probably due to measure that have taken.

there seems to be a lot of hope for the old malaria drug chloroquine. the UK government has banned its export now and probably waiting for results of trials before it becomes recommended as a treatment. cos it is old it is a generic drug that can be easily and widely produced. they are using it quite a bit in South Korea, it has been part of recommendations since beginning of february there. 

hopefully it won't be long until an existing drug is proven to have done good effect

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

Businesses who are reluctant to allow their employees to work from home need to grow the fvck up.

Controlling managers who don't trust their teams to work remotely really piss me off.

Treat people like adults and they'll behave like adults.

That's because they dont trust themselves working from home and are also micromanaging coonts.  They'd rather have you come into the office to feck the dog than have you wfh and get 2x as much work done. Its all optics.  Look  at me i'm a boss in charge. Yes, you sure are a tosser! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

That's because they dont trust themselves working from home and are also micromanaging coonts.  They'd rather have you come into the office to feck the dog than have you wfh and get 2x as much work done. Its all optics.  Look  at me i'm a boss in charge. Yes, you sure are a tosser! 

But that is the Uk...

Its the ' look !! I have a Big bunch of Keys syndrome' 

Maybe I have been lucky,but I have never Honestly come across it elsewhere (worldwide) I often Worked has field-tech/instructor/Coordinator so got around..

Only Witnessed it in some shops as a customer....!!!

4 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

My firm down to a nutshell, we have far more non productive and management staff on good wages than we do peeps on the shop floor and they wonder why they are losing money and I can guarantee they have done no planning for this virus and will pressure peeps to come to work.

• Like 2

It’s a fine line between keeping the country running and going on lockdown and plunging us into a recession.

This could cost the economy at significant amount of money and send quite a few businesses under.

It’s simple things, like we’d normally purchase a merlin season pass (Alton Towers, Warwick Castle, Legoland etc) , so that we can keep the kids entertained. We’ve just not bothered, as if they stop crowds of people, it’s basically a waste of money. That’s £800! 

Think about sports events, it’s not just the actual football, rugby, boxing match etc, it’s the train or taxi to the game, pubs, rat vans, program makers. 

Then you think of other places and events which have a large number of people in close proximity. Conferences, Nightclubs, training days, shopping centres, schools / universities, social entertainment - crazy golf, cinema, restaurants etc

For these businesses will they have reduced / cancel monthly rents, VAT returned quicker is B2B etc? 

Lots of people have mortgage payments. If businesses have no money coming in, how can they pay the staff? 

At worst, it could be a snowball rolling downhill, picking up inertia and destroying a lot in its path of not contained. 

The budget today, will be interesting. 

Also, if we were to adopt a total lock down? How on earth do you police having millions of people not meeting up?!? 

If It explodes and 20% of the workforce get this, how will it hamper the supply chain? It’s okay for those of us that work from home. How about those in production and delivery jobs? If nothing is being made and delivered ....... do people riot, encouraging more crowds?!? :ph34r:

Olympics could be delayed by 'one or two years'

A delay of one or two years would be the "most feasible" option if the Tokyo Olympics is postponed, a member of the organising committee's executive board has told Reuters. 

Haruyuki Takahashi, one of more than two dozen members of the Tokyo 2020 executive board, said: "We need to start preparing for any possibility. 

"If the games can't be held in the summer, a delay of one or two years would be most feasible."

43 minutes ago, Sly said:

It’s a fine line between keeping the country running and going on lockdown and plunging us into a recession.

This could cost the economy at significant amount of money and send quite a few businesses under.

It’s simple things, like we’d normally purchase a merlin season pass (Alton Towers, Warwick Castle, Legoland etc) , so that we can keep the kids entertained. We’ve just not bothered, as if they stop crowds of people, it’s basically a waste of money. That’s £800! 

Think about sports events, it’s not just the actual football, rugby, boxing match etc, it’s the train or taxi to the game, pubs, rat vans, program makers. 

Then you think of other places and events which have a large number of people in close proximity. Conferences, Nightclubs, training days, shopping centres, schools / universities, social entertainment - crazy golf, cinema, restaurants etc

For these businesses will they have reduced / cancel monthly rents, VAT returned quicker is B2B etc? 

Lots of people have mortgage payments. If businesses have no money coming in, how can they pay the staff? 

At worst, it could be a snowball rolling downhill, picking up inertia and destroying a lot in its path of not contained. 

Also, if we were to adopt a total lock down? How on earth do you police having millions of people not meeting up?!? 

If It explodes and 20% of the workforce get this, how will it hamper the supply chain? It’s okay for those of us that work from home. How about those in production and delivery jobs? If nothing is being made and delivered ....... do people riot, encouraging more crowds?!? :ph34r:

Hopefully the supply chain is robust enough to work even with lots of people off work. 

1 hour ago, Sly said:

20 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Hopefully the supply chain is robust enough to work even with lots of people off work. 

there is a massive chance that this screw the whole economy over ..... it’s like a card thingy and take a couple out and .......

if the govt think an emergency rate cut is the answer then I’ve no confidence that have a clue what’s required

business’ are going to run out of cash flow over the next few weeks ...... that’s the problem 

they need a vat holiday, a paye holiday, a business rates holiday .....

any overheads that the govt control should be shelved for the time being 

And I’m not scare mongering - I’m currently deciding which staff to let go because of an obvious impending cash crisis and the need to prove to the bank that I’m serious about getting through this ...... and many of my customers are saying the same things to me 

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

there is a massive chance that this screw the whole economy over ..... it’s like a card thingy and take a couple out and .......

if the govt think an emergency rate cut is the answer then I’ve no confidence that have a clue what’s required

business’ are going to run out of cash flow over the next few weeks ...... that’s the problem 

they need a vat holiday, a paye holiday, a business rates holiday .....

any overheads that the govt control should be shelved for the time being 

And I’m not scare mongering - I’m currently deciding which staff to let go because of an obvious impending cash crisis and the need to prove to the bank that I’m serious about getting through this ...... and many of my customers are saying the same things to me 

Cash flow is key ultimately. I’m in the same boat, debating how we operate. If larger customers don’t pay us, what do we do? 

You’re right and an interest rate cut isn’t really an answer. The government need to start acting now for overheads they control. 

I’m not convinced that businesses have robust disaster recovery processes. 

27 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

BoE monetary policy is set by BoE. Not the government. 

Government treasury budget is later today, which is supposed to include additional help. For that we'll have to wait and see. 

Edited by Innovindil

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

BoE monetary policy is set by BoE. Not the government. 

Government treasury budget is later today, which is supposed to include additional help. For that we'll have to wait and see. 

The treasury and b of e would have been in deep discussions over this