Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

5 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

I appreciate your fears, mine are that my wife who has undergone so much sh#t with breast cancer treatment doesn't catch this fcuker.

We all have different priorities I suppose

1 minute ago, Ollie93 said:

I'm the same, my Mum has underlying lung conditions and breast cancer in the past. She'd more than likely suffer if she contracts it. 

fookin hell!

It's really scary when you read things like this.

My dad is in his 80's and has practically every "underlying" health condition you could think of, so he'd definately be rolling a 7!

I really hope they can keep the rate of people being infected steady. I also thing our much maligned NHS is probably better equiped than whatever the Italian health service is.

If the rate of infection does spike and the government imposes restrictions then I think we are facing a national emergency the like of which very few of us will have faced in the past.

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

It's annoying when you see grown adults coughing away, without their hands over their mouths.

See it all the time.

People can easily can help prevent the risk of things spreading if they use their brains a little bit more.

People should cough/sneeze into their arm. Had an older waiter sneeze into their hands while working. I hope the look of disgust we all gave him made him go wash his hands or **** off home if he was sick. Grim. 

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

We might as well all just take the short term hit and shut the whole world down for a few weeks until it all goes away.

Except for the rubbish men, power stations, sewage and water works, gas, fuel and supermarkets. I need all them to remain comfortable whilst on holiday.

Just now, moore_94 said:

Can’t imagine this will happen over here, companies will still try to get payments out of people on their death bed

RBS to allow customers to defer mortgage payments

image.gif.720a6dad2fd3edac246160bf31a7596d.gif
PA MedCopyright: PA Med

In a move similar to that announced in Italy, UK taxpayer-owned bank RBS will allow people affected by the coronavirus outbreak to defer mortgage and loan repayments for up to three months.

The bank, which runs the RBS, NatWest, and Ulster Bank brands, also said savers could close fixed-term savings accounts early with no charge.

This is designed to allow people to access cash if they need it as the impact of the virus is felt.

Guest Cujek
2 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I work in HE and just had our first contingency email for what will happen if we end up working remotely. Worryingly they are looking as far forward as us having to work remotely into the Autumn term... 

Whats HE?

6 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

RBS to allow customers to defer mortgage payments

image.gif.720a6dad2fd3edac246160bf31a7596d.gif
PA MedCopyright: PA Med

In a move similar to that announced in Italy, UK taxpayer-owned bank RBS will allow people affected by the coronavirus outbreak to defer mortgage and loan repayments for up to three months.

The bank, which runs the RBS, NatWest, and Ulster Bank brands, also said savers could close fixed-term savings accounts early with no charge.

This is designed to allow people to access cash if they need it as the impact of the virus is felt.

Fair play to RBS for this

Hopefully it will become a more government issued mandate like Italy

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I work in HE and just had our first contingency email for what will happen if we end up working remotely. Worryingly they are looking as far forward as us having to work remotely into the Autumn term... 

If this is an issue in September then we'll have actually done well. If everyone gets infected then it'll be within three months and then everyone will be immune after that. 

Guest Cujek
Just now, rachhere said:

Sorry, higher education.

Right gotcha.

the autumn is a long way off, absolutley no one knows what is going to happen and how long this will take to clear, or even why there is such a panic over it.

at my work, we haven't heard anything, other than a bit of a panic yesterday asking who has the ability to work from home, I work for a large utility company.

Luckily all i need is an internet connection, my work laptop and my phone.

Each business should have a BCM procedure in place to deal with this, or at least be frantically putting one together.

Stay safe

31 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Ohhh I live round the corner from their shop. I could definitely make some money out of this! Any particular requests?

4 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Number of cases

As of 9am on 10 March 2020, 26,261 people have been tested in the UK, of which 25,888 were confirmed negative and 373 were confirmed as positive. Six patients who tested positive for COVID-19 have died.

So that's a jump of 54 from 5pm yesterday.

Not the biggest daily increase but still worrying. Some comfort is that we saw the daily cases increase  into the thirties 6 days ago which means that the infected from those cases will be showing by now and it is not a huge leap.

Interesting that Greece has implemented the delay phase, shutting down public gatherings and playing sport behind closed doors despite fewer than 100 confirmed cases.

Just now, Captain... said:

So that's a jump of 54 from 5pm yesterday.

Not the biggest daily increase but still worrying. Some comfort is that we saw the daily cases increase  into the thirties 6 days ago which means that the infected from those cases will be showing by now and it is not a huge leap.

Interesting that Greece has implemented the delay phase, shutting down public gatherings and playing sport behind closed doors despite fewer than 100 confirmed cases.

yeah, I'm trying to take the positives. It's still a very small increase. I'd be worried if it was jumping up exponentially (and it still might). 

7 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

yeah, I'm trying to take the positives. It's still a very small increase. I'd be worried if it was jumping up exponentially (and it still might). 

It is positive as every day where the spread isn't huge buys us more time, gives us time for hospitals to prepare, research to be undertaken and takes us a day closer to the start of the non-flu season. 

Genuine question, has everyone who's reading this and their families changed their behaviour in some way based on Public Health advice given out last week (eg hand washing)? It would be interesting to know just how effective this advice is seen as our public health services are revered around the world. 

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

It is positive as every day where the spread isn't huge buys us more time, gives us time for hospitals to prepare, research to be undertaken and takes us a day closer to the start of the non-flu season. 

Genuine question, has everyone who's reading this and their families changed their behaviour in some way based on Public Health advice given out last week (eg hand washing)? It would be interesting to know just how effective this advice is seen as our public health services are revered around the world. 

I have definately been a lot keener of hand washing, particularly in the office.

I have been encourgaing my kids to wash their hands regularly too and they seem to be taking this on board

I haven't been "panic buying" but I have built up some resiliance in my stock cupboard.

I also skipped the kids swimming lessons at the weekend. The swimming baths are disgusting at the best of times. I may continue to modify my plans slightly

Edited by stripeyfox

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I didn't go last night and don't think I will be any time soon despite having a season ticket with my son.  He's had several respiratory illnesses over the last couple of years (pneumonia/chest infections and currently throat infection) I just don't see any point in taking the risk.

1 minute ago, pds said:

I didn't go last night and don't think I will be any time soon despite having a season ticket with my son.  He's had several respiratory illnesses over the last couple of years (pneumonia/chest infections and currently throat infection) I just don't see any point in taking the risk.

I didn't go last night - not only because of the coronavirus - I was late back from work, my son didn't particularly want to go and I couldn't be arsed to drive over and get back late with him having school in the morning. I sat and watched at home on Sky with a beer. But I will admit that the virus and the thought of sharing the facilities did play a small part in my decision not to go

Where are all these old folk with 'serious underlying health issues' getting it from? It's not like they're more likely to be on public transport or in offices, theatres, football games, etc. Is it because it is being spread by huge numbers of people who already have it but have either no symptoms or symptoms so mild that they haven't been to the doctors or self-isolated? If that's the case, the mortality rate is likely to be much lower than currently reported.