Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 hours ago, MPH said:

now officially a pandemic 

Coronavirus confirmed as pandemic https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51839944

Shame the uk government has been so blase about there being no tests at airports for passengers coming into the country, if there was a bit of revenue to be had they can spot someone coming in with a couple of extra packets of fags from 10 miles away.

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Haha 2

Government needs to listen to the WHO now.

lack of testing capability is utterly inexcusable it should have been worked on from day one. 

Large events should all be cancelled or severely limited.

Working from home should be encouraged as much as possible. 
schools and universities should be closed to stem the spread.

Its going to be a shit year, let’s avoid it being a complete catastrophe by mortality numbers.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I recon more people have it than we think in the UK it could have been here since Wuhan was in lockdown which is a good 2-3 weeks if not longer... 

People have most likely  had it and passed it off as normal flu.

Number of official cases probably a drop in the ocean

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Guess it adds an extra string to the bows of the 'shoulda woulda coulda' armchair experts who don't have a scooby

Better than the 'shouldnta wouldnta couldnta' armchair experts who also don't have a scooby

Having said that - I also don't think "don't have a scooby" is fair. There are academic articles and masses of witness testimony on what it does to you, reasonable guesses as to where it's from and a large amount of information about how it spreads, with reasonable estimates of how easy it is to spread and mortality rates. There's also logical steps to take to limit spread, with South Korea operating what appears to be a good practice' model which is limiting the spread quite effectively.

Edited by bmt
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I'm in the same boat. We just got our first cases of the coronavirus here. I expect in the next few weeks that our company will shut down the headquarters, as it is open to the public. I can not believe, however, that we will shut down our plants. It will lead to a big issue because those who can work from home are generally white collar workers, while those in the plants are union laborers. We just got through a work stoppage during a labor dispute that cost us a lot in terms of production. I doubt we can afford to shut plants down for months on end. 

On a personal note, my wife is very pregnant and is in the last few weeks before she goes on maternity leave. Her job is very much public facing / working with customers and volunteers. My fingers are crossed that we can stay out of this mess until the baby is born. If this becomes an italy/china level pandemic here, I imagine going to the hospital for the delivery is going to be a nightmare. 

Where are you based? I highly recommend speaking to the midwife about going to birthing centre.

Obvs the only patents at birthing centres are women in labor and their partners etc (which I expect will be restricted). 

Guest MattP
14 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Guess it adds an extra string to the bows of the 'shoulda woulda coulda' armchair experts who don't have a scooby

I've got a mate who has been like this, its been non stop criticism of the government and how they should have shut everything and stopped crowds gathering as soon as it started.

This week he personally has been to the Villa game and Friday he's off to Cheltenham lol

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

I've got a mate who has been like this, its been non stop criticism of the government and how they should have shut everything and stopped crowds gathering as soon as it started.

This week he personally has been to the Villa game and Friday he's off to Cheltenham lol

To be fair those two things aren't necessarily hypocritical, although I'm personally swerving big crowd meets for a while.

If he's 20-30 or so and feels he won't get ill then he may feel happy to attend events, but feel the govts actions (inaction I should say) will lead to a large amount of older people dying. Also may feel that due to govt inaction he will get it at some point anyway so happy to attend events he enjoys for now.

Edited by bmt

5 minutes ago, bmt said:

To be fair those two things aren't necessarily hypocritical, although I'm personally swerving big crowd meets for a while.

If he's 20-30 or so and feels he won't get ill then he may feel happy to attend events, but feel the govts actions (inaction I should say) will lead to a large amount of older people dying. Also may feel that due to govt inaction he will get it at some point anyway so happy to attend events he enjoys for now.

I'm a lefty but I'm really cautious about going after the government here. They're listening to experts within their field. They've explained why they haven't shut everything down and their plan is based on previous evidence. They've also just expanded testing capabilities to 10,000 a day and their budget today is also quite evidently tackling this issue head on from a healthcare and economic perspective. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

I'm a lefty but I'm really cautious about going after the government here. They're listening to experts within their field. They've explained why they haven't shut everything down and their plan is based on previous evidence. They've also just expanded testing capabilities to 10,000 a day and their budget today is also quite evidently tackling this issue head on from a healthcare and economic perspective. 

It is just too reactive for me. I don't agree their plan is based on previous evidence, and there are very few test cases to use. The testing capabilities thing is true, but again seems to me to be at least a few days too late (based on my experience of things I've witnessed - most of which I have said on this thread). The budget is quite strong, but for me is somewhat irrelevant because the fallout economically is going to be huge and global regardless. 

42 minutes ago, bmt said:

Better than the 'shouldnta wouldnta couldnta' armchair experts who also don't have a scooby

Having said that - I also don't think "don't have a scooby" is fair. There are academic articles and masses of witness testimony on what it does to you, reasonable guesses as to where it's from and a large amount of information about how it spreads, with reasonable estimates of how easy it is to spread and mortality rates. There's also logical steps to take to limit spread, with South Korea operating what appears to be a good practice' model which is limiting the spread quite effectively.

Look there is undoubtedly lots that everyone can learn by looking at how each other is handling the situation. As WHO have said, nobody has got it 100% right. South Korea's testing regime is great, making it easy for people to drive to a drive-thru test centre is a superb initiative that the government should look to here. But there is not a one size fits all policy, Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea have all done well using different means. The government is relying more heavily on behavioural insights and whilst I could be slightly biased due to knowing a few people at the Behavioural Insights Unit quite well, it's pretty well accepted that the UK, Netherlands and US (more so under Obama) are miles ahead of anyone else on utilising Behavioural Science in policy. The government has been following its pre-prepared plan (anyone can read a snapshot of it online) as guided by advice from medical and behavioural experts. These people have access to information and data and know what to do with it that the lay man doesnt. 

It might turn out to be the wrong way to do it or it might turn out to be quite effective and others will be pointing at the UK to declare that a good practice model. 

5 cases in Leeds and we knew about 3 so 2 more confirmed cases in the past week and a bit has eased my nerves slightly. It’s a bit easier to digest when you can see the breakdown of where it is. 

I’ve cancelled a trip to see my parents in Coalville at the start of April just incase, they’re both touching 60 and they’ve got enough to worry about living in Coalville...

• Haha 1

Since the time I posted "Everyone panic!" two hours ago, I have gone into full panic mode :frantics:

Been doing some reading online(never a good thing) and I'm thinking maybe I(and the people I'm close to) should be taking it serious now.

I tend to go to pubs and get a lot of takeout food. Might be cutting that out.

Might start stalking up on things in case there's a total lockdown here.

Beer

Tequila 

Bottled water

Beans

Crisps

Toilet paper

Hand sanitizer

Anything else I should be stocking up on? 

6 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

Since the time I posted "Everyone panic!" two hours ago, I have gone into full panic mode :frantics:

Been doing some reading online(never a good thing) and I'm thinking maybe I(and the people I'm close to) should be taking it serious now.

I tend to go to pubs and get a lot of takeout food. Might be cutting that out.

Might start stalking up on things in case there's a total lockdown here.

Beer

Tequila 

Bottled water

Beans

Crisps

Toilet paper

Hand sanitizer

Anything else I should be stocking up on? 

Pasta seems to be the go to panic buy in England 😊

• Thanks 1