Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HarLutt Fox

League Position vs Cups

2 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I'll doubtless get flamed grilled for this, but I actually want Villa to win tomorrow. 

Nope, I don't see any reason other than not being a Leicester fan, as to why you wouldn't want us to win.

I don't agree, but can understand at the start of the competition, but at the semi-final stage? No way. I'd be more gutted if we don't go through tomorrow than I would be if we finish 5th.  

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

This is how I feel Deeg, I look at our next 3 league games and worry that we could quite easily be looking at our gap to 5th more like 5-8 points than the 14 it is now. That would make it quite uncomfortable. We played very well vs West Ham but let's not forget they are an abomination right now and if that performance hasn't given us the confidence to find our form of pre December then we could run in to trouble next month as none of the games are particularly easy, certainly not these next 3.

as they and Newcastle were in dec ……. want to see a good performance tomorrow to show we are on it against a strongly motivated side. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicolo Barella said:

Based Line-X hates Cup competitions

No - I adore the FA Cup and the its tradition...and that's our unfinished business. 

I do admit that I see this Caribao nonsense as an unwelcome distraction, but that's partly selfish given that was at Hillsborough and Wembley in 1997 and 2000. (and disappointingly1999)

Actually, saying that I want Villa to win isn't true and I'm not surprised that it provoked a reaction, but I won't be overly bothered if they knock us out. 

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I’d want to be in the highest Champions League pot possible - not pot four. 

Yeah for me, though I'd love a cup, I'd want a best possible run in the Champions League more (meaning a b better pot). We are in the cups every single year, we rarely get Champions League football.

2nd-4th with no cup > 5th with a cup. 

One will help us keep our best players, invest significantly more on new players, and have a lasting impact. The other won't. 

The question is how much do you risk one for the other. It would be easy if we knew exactly how many points we need for top 4, but we don't. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Dortmund I'll give, but on form they're close to those two. Inter are very, very good, Young is their backup fullback, not indicative of their quality at all.

I did say if we were ‘on song’ and we ‘could’ get out of the group, as I know we’ve been poor of late. When it clicks I wouldn’t say there would be too many teams to frighten us. We’d give them a good game for sure and over a 6 game group, it wouldn’t be out of the realms of possibility. 

If I’d outright said... ‘We’d get out of that group’ then I’d take your point. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

At the semi-final stage you go for it. Fabulous occasion at Wembley for everyone involved with the club to enjoy. But as for which is more important, then it's a top 4 finish; no contest. In the longer term finishing in the top 4 will better help the club to reach the next level. With Champions League football we'll have a better chance of holding on to our best players and attracting higher calibre players in the future.     

Just now, Leeds Fox said:

I did say if we were ‘on song’ and we ‘could’ get out of the group, as I know we’ve been poor of late. When it clicks I wouldn’t say there would be too many teams to frighten us. We’d give them a good game for sure and over a 6 game group, it wouldn’t be out of the realms of possibility. 

I'd been more confident in 16/17 against the big CL teams than next season tbh, mainly because of the stylistic match up. We came undone against Atletico (the one team I really didn't want to get) who were essentially our counter attacking style but better, but I think we could have stunned another one of the possession based teams like we did Sevilla. With our current style, CL will be full of top teams playing a similar style to us but better at it. 

11 minutes ago, brucey said:

One will help us keep our best players, invest significantly more on new players, and have a lasting impact. The other won't. 

The question is how much do you risk one for the other. It would be easy if we knew exactly how many points we need for top 4, but we don't. 

Not getting top 4 from this position will be a disaster for our club. 

Our next three league games against Chelsea, Wolves and Man City will be telling and if we can get 4 pts out of that it will be a good return but there is also the danger we get 0-1pt whilst a rival gets 9pts. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

The pot you go in is dependent on your coefficient rating not your league position. 

It's only the CL and Europa Cup winners and the winners of the leagues with the highest coefficients that go into Pot 1. The other 24 teams are rated by their coefficient and the top 8 go into Pot 2, 9-16 into Pot3 and the rest into Pot 4.

We could still get an easy group even in Pot 4. This season if were in Pot 4 we could have drawn:

Zenit

Donetsk

Brugge

Leicester

Two cracking away days there lol 

43 minutes ago, brucey said:

In what way though? What's the "lasting impact" of Spurs bottling every chance they've had to win a trophy in the past few years?

You're living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think a fourth place finish for us will help us retain our best players. Kante fvcked off while we were champions of England.

Cup wins, meanwhile, do have a lasting impact. They're on your honours board forever. Any chance this club gets to go for silverware, we need to take it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

In what way though? What's the "lasting impact" of Spurs bottling every chance they've had to win a trophy in the past few years?

You're living in Cloud Cuckoo Land if you think a fourth place finish for us will help us retain our best players. Kante fvcked off while we were champions of England.

Cup wins, meanwhile, do have a lasting impact. They're on your honours board forever. Any chance this club gets to go for silverware, we need to take it.

European participation has a lasting impact on the 'size' of the club in the eyes of potential signings, particularly from overseas. I'm sure they care a lot less about historic domestic cups. 

Kante had a release clause and couldn't wait to leave the first chance he could.

If Man Utd get 4th at our expense, you don't think that will hurt our chances of making a case to Maddison about staying / not pushing for a move? 

Arsenal collected loads of FA cups in recent years, didn't get them anywhere either. 

Edited by brucey

1 minute ago, Voll Blau said:

Well I couldn't agree more with this.

Let's be honest people. The reason we as fans want to get in the Champions League is because we want a knees up in Spain or Portugal or Belgium again.

Some I suspect, and excuse me if I am being a bit cynical, are the football fan equivalent of Danny Murphy and would just want to see Messi or Ronaldo in the flesh and actually might even enjoy us getting knocked out by them.

Being in the Champions League, whilst fun, does not remotely compare to winning a trophy. Trophies are honours that live forever and count towards the true everlasting status of a club.

A big club wins trophies. Everyone will forget we were in the Champions League, once we're out the experience will be meaningless. And it would be no more memorable than a day out at Wembley and celebrating with 40,000 Leicester fans.

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Kante had a release clause and couldn't wait to leave the first chance he could.

If Man Utd get 4th at our expense, you don't think that will hurt our chances of making a case to Maddison about staying? 

Arsenal collected loads of FA cups in recent years, didn't get them anywhere either. 

Well it did, it won them the FA Cup. Like, they literally won a trophy, that nobody can ever take away from them. Because they actually won it, rather than just making up the numbers like they've done in other competitions.

Arsenal finished in the top 4 season after season and it didn't get them anywhere (if, by anywhere, you mean close to winning a title or the Champions League). So I've no idea what your argument is.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kitchandro said:

Well it did, it won them the FA Cup. Like, they literally won a trophy, that nobody can ever take away from them. Because they actually won it, rather than just making up the numbers like they've done in other competitions.

Arsenal finished in the top 4 season after season and it didn't get them anywhere (if, by anywhere, you mean close to winning a title or the Champions League). So I've no idea what your argument is.

Let's just agree to disagree then. I'm sure we've had polls on this before and people with a preference for one over the other are unlikely to change their mind. 

For the exposure and prestige. Who would remember us losing to FC Nobody in the back of beyond when we have the opportunity to turn over one of the big guns in their own back yard? In order to be in that position later in the competition we would firstly need to get out of the group.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Not getting top 4 from this position will be a disaster for our club. 

Our next three league games against Chelsea, Wolves and Man City will be telling and if we can get 4 pts out of that it will be a good return but there is also the danger we get 0-1pt whilst a rival gets 9pts. 

Agree, but our rivals also have to play each other. this weekend may well give a clue. We have Chelsea, Man utd play Wolves (draw please) and Spurs play Man city (also dr\w please). If we beat Chelsea, that would increase the gap to 16 points and bring us within one point of Man city. Our game against them at the KP in a couple of weeks time then becomes massive. We should be looking upwards at 2nd place, which is still well within our grasp, not backwards.