Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HarLutt Fox

League Position vs Cups

11 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah we didn't do well with the last round of CL money. The sums are so massive when you take into account the PL and CL money combined, that getting to the later stages aren't really that game changing. 

Breakdown of prize money for 2019/20 Champions League

Reaching the group stages: 15 million euros

Reaching the round of 16: 9.5 million euros

Reaching the quarter-finals: 10.5 million euros

Reaching the semi-finals: 12 million euros

Reaching the final: 15 million euros

Winning the final: 4 million euros

So a repeat of the herculean effort to get through the quarters would have netted us about 10 mill last season, as I say hardly game changing for the club. 

Those figures could be total bogus as well, I haven't double checked them. 

Wouldn't it have been £25m? 15+9.5+10.5?

7 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yeah we didn't do well with the last round of CL money. The sums are so massive when you take into account the PL and CL money combined, that getting to the later stages aren't really that game changing. 

So a repeat of the herculean effort to get through the quarters would have netted us about 10 mill last season, as I say hardly game changing for the club. 

No that’s about right. It’s not massive amounts but we got further than any other English team last time we were in it and got 12million more in revenue money than they did as a result and that’s 12 million to offset against FFP which means we can start closing the gap in small bits to be in the top four more regularly.

14 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

It's not just the prize money which gets the big money (I also believe you get fees for wins and draws in Group Stages)

Each country has a TV money pool - aka England is related to BT, the highest finishing team gets the biggest split. So as the highest performing English team in 2017, we took the biggest cut 

2 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

No that’s about right. It’s not massive amounts but we got further than any other English team last time we were in it and got 12million more in revenue money than they did as a result and that’s 12 million to offset against FFP which means we can start closing the gap in small bits to be in the top four more regularly.

Yeah of course. I do think though that winning silverware is as important in attracting top level players to the club. No one wants to play for serial losers like Spurs. 

24 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Job done, my ass.

The job is done when the place is clinched.  14 games is plenty to blow a 14 point cushion.  With so many teams effectively tied in 5th all it takes is one of then to go on a freak run - 5 or 6 wins in a row - and we could basically be caught.  Now, that said - as others have noted the schedule crunch lightens up some from here on out, so rotating players isn't going to be as big a factor.  But that doesn't mean you take any chances where your top priority - CL qualification - is concerned.

Show me an instance when a team 14pts ahead has been caught with 14 fixtures remaining.....it doesn't happen.

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Regarding the pots: would it make a difference if Wolves has the 4th spot rather than Chelsea?

Do we still have points from last time we were in the competition?

I think we will be in Pot 4 under most circumstances. Last run netted us 20 points, which has us in 70th place lol

Chelsea are in 13th and wolves are in 85th place currently. 

7 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Regarding the pots: would it make a difference if Wolves has the 4th spot rather than Chelsea?

No. 

Were pot 4 unless we win the League. 

Expect two European Giants at home.

Hopefully we get Real Madrid so Vardy can smash Ramos like Eric Dier did. 

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but the thought of us turning over £180m, of which I will see £0 of that gives me goosebumps. It's all about the zeros for me. Trash off the cups, there's no tradition there and we've never even won the FA Cup so is it even a good competition?

The more bragging rights I can have in the pub or on Twitter about my team's annual turnover is all that matters to me :) 

I'm so sick and tired of the mutual exclusivity that seems to be being made between top four and cups. We can do both, we might well do both. We'll never have a better chance, ever, of achieving both. Full throttle all the way.

• Like 1

Brendan has already said he wants to get the players used to playing 2 games a week for when we get into Europe next season so he will be playing a strong side in every game. We need to keep players fresh and we do have some decent back up players so making 1 or 2 changes for matches isn't the end of the world but he wont be making 11 changes for games now. Strongest team will be out tomorrow, just have to wait and see if Vardy is fit but i can see Iheanacho starting with Vardy on the bench if needed 

41 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

No - to explain, we are currently on 22 points, which includes our CL Q/Final performance. To give you an idea top clubs are on 125 to 100 - 5 years of quarter-final finishes. Even clubs like Slavia Prague are on 27 because they are regularly in some form of European competition. 

To get out of Pot 4 would mean lots of unfancied clubs making it out of the qualifiers. 

Pot 3 cut off looks like 65. But ultimately if you aren't in Pot 1 or 2, there's a large likelihood you are playing two big clubs. Pot 2 for example would contain at the moment Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Inter Milan, Roma, Bayern Munich and Bourssia Dortmund 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HarLutt Fox said:

Show me an instance when a team 14pts ahead has been caught with 14 fixtures remaining.....it doesn't happen.

Newcastle had a 12pt lead over Man Utd on the 21st February 1996 and still lost the league by 4pts.

Your naive if you think this is done and dusted, it's never over til it's over. We've just got 10pts from our last 8 games, if we do the same over the next 8 we'll be in a fight for a CL spot. Our next three games are Chelsea, Wolves and Man City. we could easily pick up next to nothing in those games whilst a rival wins all three and then it's game on. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Newcastle had a 12pt lead over Man Utd on the 21st February 1996 and still lost the league by 4pts.

Your naive if you think this is done and dusted, it's never over til it's over. We've just got 10pts from our last 8 games, if we do the same over the next 8 we'll be in a fight for a CL spot. Our next three games are Chelsea, Wolves and Man City. we could easily pick up next to nothing in those games whilst a rival wins all three and then it's game on. 

I agree that nothing is guaranteed, but after those three games the last eleven games include two against rivals in the chasing pack (man utd at home spurs away) which any sort of points return against would dent their hopes and at least 8 of those games are imminently winnable. Realistically if we beat Chelsea and take at least a point from wolves then I think, barring a spectacular collapse (which I cannot see Rodgers allowing to happen) we should be home and hosed.  Some of those teams in the chasing pack also have to play each other too. We should finish with at least 70 points and that should be more than enough considering how far behind the others are.

5 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I agree that nothing is guaranteed, but after those three games the last eleven games include two against rivals in the chasing pack (man utd at home spurs away) which any sort of points return against would dent their hopes and at least 8 of those games are imminently winnable. Realistically if we beat Chelsea and take at least a point from wolves then I think, barring a spectacular collapse (which I cannot see Rodgers allowing to happen) we should be home and hosed.  Some of those teams in the chasing pack also have to play each other too. We should finish with at least 70 points and that should be more than enough considering how far behind the others are.

Our last two games are Tottenham (a) & Man Utd (h).

If we haven't got it done and dusted by then it will be squeaky bum time. I'm all for resting players in the league to concentrate on the cups but lets get past the finishing line first (or near as damn it) before we start taking liberties. 

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Job done, my ass.

The job is done when the place is clinched.  14 games is plenty to blow a 14 point cushion.  With so many teams effectively tied in 5th all it takes is one of then to go on a freak run - 5 or 6 wins in a row - and we could basically be caught.  Now, that said - as others have noted the schedule crunch lightens up some from here on out, so rotating players isn't going to be as big a factor.  But that doesn't mean you take any chances where your top priority - CL qualification - is concerned.

This is how I feel Deeg, I look at our next 3 league games and worry that we could quite easily be looking at our gap to 5th more like 5-8 points than the 14 it is now. That would make it quite uncomfortable. We played very well vs West Ham but let's not forget they are an abomination right now and if that performance hasn't given us the confidence to find our form of pre December then we could run in to trouble next month as none of the games are particularly easy, certainly not these next 3.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Eh. Doubt it. We're not really fantastic against clubs much better than us at the moment. Let's see though.

Eh? Dortmund are good but they’re miles off Liverpool and Man City. Inter are a big name and that’s about it. They’ve just signed Ashley Young lol

Just now, Leeds Fox said:

Eh? Dortmund are good but they’re miles off Liverpool and Man City. Inter are a big name and that’s about it. They’ve just signed Ashley Young lol

Dortmund I'll give, but on form they're close to those two. Inter are very, very good, Young is their backup fullback, not indicative of their quality at all.