Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stopper

Man City banned from Europe !

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

obviously on a much much smaller scale ………. and at least we tried to hide our dodgyness and make it seem legit (like many of the championship clubs are doing now via ground sale schemes )…….and most importantly, we haven't done it again !  if man city had changed their ways after their initial case was heard, they wouldn't have this issue now …...   

Don't really think that matters about "trying to hide", we still did something dodgy.

Sellings grounds is causing a big issue, I wouldn't call it legit. There are several clubs who want the likes of Wednesday punished for it, and rightly so.

I'm in the US but happened to catch one of the BBC podcasts where a group of your pundits talked about the ban the day after it was announced.  What  a bunch of  apologists! They made it seem like this is just a bump in the road for City - and maybe it is.  But their attitudes still made me want to puke.

Personally I've never given City much credit for their success because they simply just outspent everyone.  Granted they've had some competent management but if you can just buy anyone you want - and then bend the rules to get around Fair Play - their level of success isn't exactly shocking. But get them off the pedestal, please.  

Edited by TeaMen Tom
  • Like 2

please think carefully about what some of you want to happen

if FFP goes in the bin then in our current guise, we will likely drop into the lower echelons of the premier league 

to avoid that, we would need new investment and I have no idea if top would accept that. 

I think we are in a good place under the current system where the big clubs try and protect themselves and we can sit just below that and occasionally break into the top 4 and try to stretch the top six to become the top 8 

a financial free for all where anyone can spend anything is not, in my opinion, good for either the game or ourselves.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

please think carefully about what some of you want to happen

if FFP goes in the bin then in our current guise, we will likely drop into the lower echelons of the premier league 

to avoid that, we would need new investment and I have no idea if top would accept that. 

I think we are in a good place under the current system where the big clubs try and protect themselves and we can sit just below that and occasionally break into the top 4 and try to stretch the top six to become the top 8 

a financial free for all where anyone can spend anything is not, in my opinion, good for either the game or ourselves.

I've always thought that the MLS had a decent system with spending in terms of wages. 

Of their 30 man squad, something like 25 of them have to fit into a league wide salary cap of a certain amount. The other 5 players in each team are free to be paid whatever the club wants..... 

• Like 3

Ultimately this boils down to two issues and both are for power.

Man City -  want power and the proposed fifa champions league breakaway group. Their owners and sponsors are effectively state owned or ran, and not just ownership but the sponsorships too, so the power to want control from these greedy, filthy oil rich nations is clear.

UEFA - are on their last legs in the fact that if they do not stamp on this issue then their credibility is shot, which will logically mean massive reforms to European football - reforms which the top clubs will end up having more control over. 

My opinion is simple. CAS has to block city's soon to be submitted attempt to suspend their punishment, pending their legal battle start which will probably be at some point next season. If they can at least keep the CL bans in place and set the fine aside then I'll feel a whole lot more comfortable with European football for the short to mid term.

Edited by UHDrive
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Ultimately this boils down to two issues and both are for power.

Man City -  want power and the proposed fifa champions league breakaway group. Their owners and sponsors are effectively state owned or ran, and not just ownership but the sponsorships too, so the power to want control from these greedy, filthy oil rich nations is clear.

UEFA - are on their last legs in the fact that if they do not stamp on this issue then their credibility is shot, which will logically mean massive reforms to European football - reforms which the top clubs will end up having more control over. 

My opinion is simple. CAS has to block city's soon to be submitted attempt to suspend their punishment, pending their legal battle start which will probably be at some point next season. If they can at least keep the CL bans in place and set the fine aside then I'll feel a whole lot more comfortable with European football for the short to mid term.

are you holding your breath ?

On 16/02/2020 at 21:22, st albans fox said:

I really cannot see any PL sanctions but if they do happen then I’m sure they won’t be retrospective  - a big fine and possible future points deduction but as I said, I just think the PL are toothless ...

20 point deduction would be helpful the way we are playing.

18 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Not a chance in hell. CAS will do what CAS does when faced with an appeal, they will defer the punishment whilst it is reviewed.

Edited by Dahnsouff

On 15/02/2020 at 20:55, UHDrive said:

Just read this interesting article. Man City are definitely screwed. What will the consequences be I.e. one season CL ban etc. and will they be sanctioned in the EPL.

Screenshot_20200215-205152_Chrome.jpg

So Charles Flint - a director of Dubai's financial services authority - is considered an impartial judge for a club famously linked with Qatar.

IT'S BIG BRAIN TIME.

• Haha 1

I have to suspend normal logic when I think about this.

Does UEFA have a death wish? Why would they be so extreme? Are there some kind of Global Politics at work here?

To take a club and put it in the way of potential sanctions by the Premier League as well. Basically grinding their face in the dirt.

There are some serious power moves going on by major players(countries) here. I know the conspiracy theory hat :).

Just can't understand why UEFA would want to destroy itself. Because Abu Dhabi is not going to let this stand.

Really think that UEFA and the Champions League are done as it stands when this is all played out. Soon.

I don't like the fact that "big clubs" abuse their power. I don't like the fact that FIFA are a bunch of corrupt self serving fools.

If a team breaks the rules (and gets caught) it should accept its punishment - which should be made clear in those rules. You do the crime you do the time.

And if some clubs want to go and set up a European/world league outside of FIFA then let them go and do it and let's hope the FA just get back to sorting out our business and ignoring the rest. Football is a sport for most of us, it's a financial business for the minority.

6 minutes ago, FIF said:

I don't like the fact that "big clubs" abuse their power. I don't like the fact that FIFA are a bunch of corrupt self serving fools.

If a team breaks the rules (and gets caught) it should accept its punishment - which should be made clear in those rules. You do the crime you do the time.

And if some clubs want to go and set up a European/world league outside of FIFA then let them go and do it and let's hope the FA just get back to sorting out our business and ignoring the rest. Football is a sport for most of us, it's a financial business for the minority.

Always thought you’d back a ban FIF ;)

On 17/02/2020 at 14:43, Shmokeee said:

The issues I have with Man City have been long standing and have been the point of discussion/debate/downright arguments, with a lifelong Man City fan, someone who really has been there during their darkest years.

People forget how and who supported FFP, which clubs were the first to call for it etc. 
Man City were absolutely for it, not only in support of it but planned for it.

When people talk about when it was that the tide turned for them, the signing of Robinho was seen as the ‘game changer’.

It was, but not in the sense they could finally sign top world class players, he was the first step they took to massively inflate their wage bill.

Every player after that regardless of initial fee paid was on wages that no other club in the world would pay them. Literally.

Once their wage bill was astronomical in terms of where it was pre-sheikh, it was they who were then all in favour of the rule that no team can increase their wage bill by 10% each season, in doing so creating a breakaway with the ‘top 5’ whose wage bill was comparable whilst ‘kneecapping’ the competition.(shithouses)

So even then they hadn’t broke any rules as such, but to try and prevent other teams of doing the same to close the gap, has never sat right with me.

That rule had nothing to do with safeguarding the financial stability of smaller clubs, a rule of only personal investment/no loans would and could easily be applied if that was the intent, but it wasn’t.

Fast forward a few years and they’ve constantly broke and bent the rules that they voted for.

Chelsea also stink the house out with immorality and hypocrisy, I remember when they were both shit.

Both all in favour of FFP to stop any clubs gaining massive investment and being able to compete.

FFP and VAR both belong in the bin.

As do acronyms... 👊🏻

Acronyms should be binned ASAP.

If this drags out, does that mean Man City will be able to play in Europe next season?

Surely CAS can only overturn a decision AFTER they’ve completed their investigation? When we went to CAS over Adrien Silva he wasn’t allowed to play whilst the investigation went on, for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ricey said:

If this drags out, does that mean Man City will be able to play in Europe next season?

Surely CAS can only overturn a decision AFTER they’ve completed their investigation? When we went to CAS over Adrien Silva he wasn’t allowed to play whilst the investigation went on, for example.

Might be wrong, but think they can appeal to have it suspended, but remember reading they had to do it quite quickly, like within a fortnight. 

2 hours ago, Ricey said:

17 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Might be wrong, but think they can appeal to have it suspended, but remember reading they had to do it quite quickly, like within a fortnight. 

As I understand it, they have a limited time to inform CAS that they are appealing - then there is a time limit whereby they need to have their case ready so that CAS can call the case quite quickly if circumstances dictate that it needs to be heard - I think that is three months - so I believe (and I could be wrong) that Man City could drag out a CAS hearing to the end of May 

but they may decide once the CAS case is ongoing that they want to pursue this through a different court (European court of justice?) - that could well mean it drags on for years - if uefa excluded Man City and they eventually won their case then uefa would have to pay huge compensation so I expect they would abide by due legal process and Man City would continue to play CL whilst the seasons went by ....

• Like 1