Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stopper

Man City banned from Europe !

If the players were up for grabs, I wonder how they'd react if they didn't go to clubs at the same level as Manchester City. If we got KDB for example, would he be as motivated to play for us compared to a club where it was possible to win everything season in season out. These players would need to move to a Barcelona/Madrid to be realistically at a similar level to where they are now. 

7 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry but are Sunderland struggling financially? 

Are Leeds? Wednesday? Boro? 

Plenty of teams do a Bolton and drop from the top flight, they don't all turn in to a financial mess. Bolton are where they are because they've been horrendously run by shit owners. 

How, on one hand, can you call for the book to be thrown at Man City but actually speak out in support of Bolton in the same sentence? 

Man City's owners have done absolute wonders for their fans where as Bolton's and Coventry's, Blackpool's and Portsmouth's absolutely ****ing ruined theirs. 

If Man City were a global brand they'd be allowed to spend what they have, they're not being punished for spending a lot and buying success they're being punished for being upwardly mobile, they're being punished for gatecrashing the top table. 

That's exactly why we should be on their side because it's a glimpse in to our future, we have billionaire owners with aspirations of us being a top level club. We're already hearing that the established order is shitting themselves at that prospect and trying to close the shop. 

FFP pretends to be there to stop Bolton, Pompey, Cov etc from ruining themselves but its an actual joke. It's there to stop Man City, Wolves, Leicester and Co spending enough to catch up to United and Real and join the party. Barcelona and Real Madrid have laughed in the face of sensible spending for years and they get away with it. Man City are getting punished for being unfashionable, it's that simple. 

Edit: to caveat this, once again I'd add that I'd be totally in favour of a wage cap in football like rugby or a seasonal spending cap which I believe F1 has? I'd also be in favour of mandatory 51% fan ownership like most German clubs or FIFA pressing on with getting agents out of the game. Money in the sport is disgusting and needs to change but FFP is the wrong way to go. 

I agree that FFP needs work, however, I don’t agree with the point you make about siding with Man City. There is nothing remotely right about what they’ve done, they’ve cheated and it is a plain and simple as that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I agree that FFP needs work, however, I don’t agree with the point you make about siding with Man City. There is nothing remotely right about what they’ve done, they’ve cheated and it is a plain and simple as that. 

I think my point is two fold: 

1. Who have they actually cheated? 

2. Whose laws have they actually cheated? 

Because the answer to both questions seems to just be that they've broken rules made by the big clubs to protect the big clubs. 

You compare their situation to Saracens in the rugby and the salary cap there is universal, every club has the same cap they're meant to live to and if one team is cheating it then obviously that team has gained an advantage. 

You compare their situation to Chelsea and Chelsea broke a bunch of rules that exist to protect the little guy, they broke a bunch of rules designed to protect young players, the future of the sport. They fully deserved their ban and I wish it hadn't been shortened. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I particularly feel sorry for Man City's ultra billionaire owners and I absolutely accept they've bought success, they've got money almost nobody else in the league can afford to spend and the Premier League is definitely not fair. But it's not fair whether Man City stick to FFP or not, the only difference if they had spent slightly less is that the rest of the "big six" could dominate slightly more. 

I just hate that they're getting punished for doing what United, Liverpool and Arsenal are allowed to do just because they sell more shirts in China. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I think my point is two fold: 

1. Who have they actually cheated? 

2. Whose laws have they actually cheated? 

Because the answer to both questions seems to just be that they've broken rules made by the big clubs to protect the big clubs. 

You compare their situation to Saracens in the rugby and the salary cap there is universal, every club has the same cap they're meant to live to and if one team is cheating it then obviously that team has gained an advantage. 

You compare their situation to Chelsea and Chelsea broke a bunch of rules that exist to protect the little guy, they broke a bunch of rules designed to protect young players, the future of the sport. They fully deserved their ban and I wish it hadn't been shortened. 

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I particularly feel sorry for Man City's ultra billionaire owners and I absolutely accept they've bought success, they've got money almost nobody else in the league can afford to spend and the Premier League is definitely not fair. But it's not fair whether Man City stick to FFP or not, the only difference if they had spent slightly less is that the rest of the "big six" could dominate slightly more. 

I just hate that they're getting punished for doing what United, Liverpool and Arsenal are allowed to do just because they sell more shirts in China. 

I do completely get your point, and it is a very valid one. Man United should be dead and buried their finances are an utter state, however, like you say their “shirt sales” in China keep their heads above the water. So I completely agree with what you say, it’s bang on. My point is I don’t feel particularly sorry for them, because teams like us have to adhere to the rules and regs as City are, we (to our knowledge) haven’t breached them, they deliberately have.

1 minute ago, Fox92 said:

I don't mean struggle financially as I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but maybe lose a few key players.

With their owners I doubt they'll struggle financially, even with the huge loss of income as a result of the ban and if the 2 years is upheld. 

But there will certainly be an exodus now. Mahrez has already been spotted at Manchester airport trying to get a lift somewhere.

There's quite a few players that are entering their prime and only have a year or two left on their deals - I can honestly see a Sporting CP type situation where there's a clamour for the door in the summer.

I hope they get torn to ****ing shreds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkie1999 said:

I can see a few player migrating over to the red side of Manchester, they’ve got he money, the Europe thing could be a bit of a problem though

Doubtful the sentence will stay as it is and no good player in their right mind would want to play for the PL's anomaly.

10 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm sorry but are Sunderland struggling financially? 

Are Leeds? Wednesday? Boro? 

Plenty of teams do a Bolton and drop from the top flight, they don't all turn in to a financial mess. Bolton are where they are because they've been horrendously run by shit owners. 

How, on one hand, can you call for the book to be thrown at Man City but actually speak out in support of Bolton in the same sentence? 

Man City's owners have done absolute wonders for their fans where as Bolton's and Coventry's, Blackpool's and Portsmouth's absolutely ****ing ruined theirs. 

If Man City were a global brand they'd be allowed to spend what they have, they're not being punished for spending a lot and buying success they're being punished for being upwardly mobile, they're being punished for gatecrashing the top table. 

That's exactly why we should be on their side because it's a glimpse in to our future, we have billionaire owners with aspirations of us being a top level club. We're already hearing that the established order is shitting themselves at that prospect and trying to close the shop. 

FFP pretends to be there to stop Bolton, Pompey, Cov etc from ruining themselves but its an actual joke. It's there to stop Man City, Wolves, Leicester and Co spending enough to catch up to United and Real and join the party. Barcelona and Real Madrid have laughed in the face of sensible spending for years and they get away with it. Man City are getting punished for being unfashionable, it's that simple. 

Edit: to caveat this, once again I'd add that I'd be totally in favour of a wage cap in football like rugby or a seasonal spending cap which I believe F1 has? I'd also be in favour of mandatory 51% fan ownership like most German clubs or FIFA pressing on with getting agents out of the game. Money in the sport is disgusting and needs to change but FFP is the wrong way to go. 

I agree with nearly everything you say there.However I think you’ll find that your Leeds and Sunderland’s etc would all be financially screwed without someone chipping in from above.Carrying the huge losses.Bolton were in a mess when they were in the P/L.

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 15:17, Finnegan said:

This will be an unpopular opinion but I'm on Man City's side and I hope they beat it. 

If FIFA want to impose a universal salary cap and actually tackle the money in the sport, I'm down with that. If FIFA want a seasonal spending budget for all teams, I'm down with that. 

But FFP is a con, United, Real, Barca and PSG all spend excessively on players and nobody bats an eyelid. They'll attack Man City largely for political reasons and because they don't like a formerly little club gatecrashing the party. 

Man City are a very intelligently run business, they recruit sensibly at all levels, from directors to coaches to academy staff. They spend wisely on players, never being held to ransom over cost. Despite their vast resources, their record signing is 65m or there or there abouts when other clubs have spent nearly three times that. 

Have they bought success? Obviously but then so have all the clubs in the champions league. I'd much rather see United punished for absolutely pissing away some half a billion on complete trash while their owners leech from the club with no direction at all. Man City are the model the other big boys should be following, tnot tearing them down. 

I'd rather a world without clubs like Man City, don't get me wrong, I'd rather a world without the out of control finances of football but either tackle all of them or leave MC alone imo. 

Completely agree.

Find it quite incredible as well that Man City can be punished for putting money into football but Man Utd's owners aren't for taking money out of it.

Wouldn't be surprised if the entire basis of the appeal is based on who comes 5th as well - if Manchester United then Manchester City will lose their appeal, if it's Wolves or Sheffield United they'll probably win it. That's what we're dealing with here.

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Completely agree.

Find it quite incredible as well that Man City can be punished for putting money into football but Man Utd's owners aren't for taking money out of it.

because that’s  the rules 

from a personal perspective, I’m quite happy because many non top six clubs are prepared to spend more than we are on players wages and transfer fees

from a wider perspective, I can see it from both sides ........ BUT you need to change the rules before you break them ......and certainly, once you’ve been busted, you aren’t supposed to continue to break them so brazenly ..........

• Like 2

Man City's response to this issue has been predictable.

The same rather aggressive and outraged denials they've used since the original story broke.

They've continually promised 'irrefutable proof' and the like that they are completely innocent. And they have also been quite disrespectful in doing it. But they have offered no evidence of this, just bluster.

Massive cash gifts from Abu Dhabi's dodgy rulers masquerading as sponsorship - don't see how they can deny this.

And their attitude says to me that it's pretty unlikely CAS will help them out.

Basically, they're fecked!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

Man City's response to this issue has been predictable.

The same rather aggressive and outraged denials they've used since the original story broke.

They've continually promised 'irrefutable proof' and the like that they are completely innocent. And they have also been quite disrespectful in doing it. But they have offered no evidence of this, just bluster.

Massive cash gifts from Abu Dhabi's dodgy rulers masquerading as sponsorship - don't see how they can deny this.

And their attitude says to me that it's pretty unlikely CAS will help them out.

Basically, they're fecked!

Their owners are used to throwing money at things and it going away. Imagine how many things they’d paid off in their own country. That’s how they will play this too.

Think one of the leaked emails from Man City said they would rather pay 50 lawyers than pay any UEFA fine.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, when_you're_smiling said:

Their owners are used to throwing money at things and it going away. Imagine how many things they’d paid off in their own country. That’s how they will play this too.

Think one of the leaked emails from Man City said they would rather pay 50 lawyers than pay any UEFA fine.

They'll throw money at it alright, but their attitude doesn't help them. They've seriously pissed off UEFA and I just don't see them backing down on this.

If Man City  had any answer to the bogus sponsorship allegations we'd have heard it by now.

As I say, I think CAS will uphold the ban 

And the Mansours' expectation that their money and power will paper over this (as you point out it usually does) in this case works against them I feel. They're so used to getting their own way that when they don't they lash out. That doesn't help their case which is thin enough to start with.

I take no pleasure in this. Man City are actually quite close to my heart. But they've supped with the devil, and they don't have a long enough spoon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Don't we still have a FFP allegation hanging over our heads for the Championship winning season? 

We settled £3m with the football league. Not sure if that means it's over but what our owners did was dodgy as.

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

We settled £3m with the football league. Not sure if that means it's over but what our owners did was dodgy as.

obviously on a much much smaller scale ………. and at least we tried to hide our dodgyness and make it seem legit (like many of the championship clubs are doing now via ground sale schemes )…….and most importantly, we haven't done it again !  if man city had changed their ways after their initial case was heard, they wouldn't have this issue now …...