Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Premier League: Who produced the greatest relegation escape?

Can we all vote for Leicester City at the bottom please guys

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52475052image.gif.c434b8b2c765cb5b7e97eafed061e57c.gif

Leicester 2014-15

image.gif.c434b8b2c765cb5b7e97eafed061e57c.gifimage.gif.5da72bc9b862fbb91cc637645c05f986.gifimage.gif.01ca088c6aa9e43bdab2788a2f9d4808.gif

Leicester became just the third Premier League side to be bottom at Christmas and avoid relegation - after West Brom (2004-05) and Sunderland (2013-14).

Top league scorer: Leonardo Ulloa (13).

Other key men: Esteban Cambiasso, Andy King, Jamie Vardy.

Leicester's extraordinary title win is even more remarkable when you consider that 29 games into the previous season, they were seven points from safety at the bottom. And that season was also bonkers.

With Nigel Pearson battling to avoid an immediate return to the Championship, the pressure seemed to show in February as he was involved in a bizarre touchline clash with Crystal Palace midfielder James McArthur.

The club denied rumours that Pearson was sacked and swiftly reinstated, yet the Foxes were still bottom in April.

But a 2-1 home win over West Ham sparked a run of 22 points from 27, which saw Leicester clinch survival with a game to go and ultimately finish 14th.

The only blip during the run-in was a defeat at champions Chelsea, when Pearson walked out of the post-match news conference after asking a reporter if he was an ostrich.

_112039367_leicester.png

Edited by merlin1969

What's with these threads asking us to vote now, we're not big club twitter football fans.

I do think ours was the best without necessarily voting for it. Sunderland the season before and Fulham in 07/08 were good too (if I recall Fulham won away at Man City on the last day). Too young to remember Oldham as will the majority of people voting. 

Sounds weird but it's such a good feeling getting a result knowing you've stayed up. Last few years following us have been class but also the memories at West Brom / Burnley / Sunderland and "we are staying up".

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

What's with these threads asking us to vote now, we're not big club twitter football fans.

Basically, we need football back. I think they've exhausted every category of best/ worst in the past six weeks.

• Like 1

Unpopular opinion: ours wasn't a great escape. 

Couple of reasons for this, including the fact that we ended up six points clear of danger, had been realistically safe comfortably before the end of the season, were always way to good to actually be down there and eventually the table balanced out and showed that. 

West Brom's was a legitimate escape, they weren't just bottom at Christmas they were bottom an hour or so before the league ended. 

Corky is right, Oldham was even more nuts, what they needed in the last week was insane. We had our feet up cruising by that point. 

This forum's weird obsession with voting for Leicester for everything aside, this shouldn't be us at all. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This forum's weird obsession with voting for Leicester for everything aside, this shouldn't be us at all. 

It's almost as if these outlets are exploiting football fan's weird obsession with proving a point for no reason other than online willy waving.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Couple of reasons for this, including the fact that we ended up six points clear of danger, had been realistically safe comfortably before the end of the season, were always way to good to actually be down there and eventually the table balanced out and showed that. 

West Brom's was a legitimate escape, they weren't just bottom at Christmas they were bottom an hour or so before the league ended. 

Corky is right, Oldham was even more nuts, what they needed in the last week was insane. We had our feet up cruising by that point. 

I don't think how late the escape happens is what makes it great. For me it was the turn in how good we played from when we were written off as relegated which made it great. I don't remember Oldham's because of age but from the others which I do know, it was between us and West Brom for me without being biased. West Brom probably edges it, but I voted for us anyway 

I'd love it if anyone could find the clip of when Carragher mocked us all for celebrating that King goal against West Ham. He said something along the lines of "why they celebrating? they're still going down" with the smug face. 

• Like 1

As good as our one was I'd say Fulham would probably edge it. Our survival is more great for the follow up story than anything else.

They were losing 2-0 to Man City away with 30 minutes to go and nailed on for relegation in the 3rd last game. Needed everything to go their way yet somehow survived.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blue ROI said:

As good as our one was I'd say Fulham would probably edge it. Our survival is more great for the follow up story than anything else.

They were losing 2-0 to Man City away with 30 minutes to go and nailed on for relegation in the 3rd last game. Needed everything to go their way yet somehow survived.

Ours was easily the greatest, and was regarded as that all summer before the title season. We were so far adrift and HAD to win as many games as we did to stay up. It was unheard of.

Ours was impressive but we had a favourable run in and we were almost there with our performances before the West Ham win.

I'd go for Fulham, to be 2-0 down with 20 minutes to go to win at Man City in 2008 , which would have effectively relegated them, was pretty impressive.

Also feel like Sunderland have had about 4 great escapes before they finally went down.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Pfft. 

Plastic. 

2 hours ago, bmt said:

I don't think how late the escape happens is what makes it great. 

For me, how late it happens is what makes it an "escape."

Ours was a great turn around in form and we went on a brilliant run of wins. It was remarkable.

I've just never liked the term escape the same as I've never liked hearing the word "miracle" associated with our title win. For me it's an "escape" when you scrape out at the last minute on the final day, we've seen examples of those and that's what I'd vote for personally. 

Just found this and voted us obviously. 

My comments on bbc

"Leicester. The others may have been more dramatic but we ended up finishing 14th after being bottom at Christmas.
And then won the league the following year.
Now that is what I call an extended escape followed by champions league qtr finalists!" 

Most of the votes are obviously biased, mine included but some of the comments re West brom and others scraping it on the last day says to me they are the luckiest. Relying on others. 

We were so far gone and finished miles ahead meaning so many others needed to turn their season around, which in my mind proves ours was the greatest (and possibly Sunderland from one comment but I hate the mackem bastards and I'm biased 😂

3 hours ago, Paddy. said:

861222446_Screenshot_20200501-100002_BBCSport.thumb.jpg.8267578c11498e874b0aafa8ac09c47f.jpg

:nigel:

Oh the memories 😂😂😂😂

We are lucky fans. 

I live in Hinckley and if my dad was a twat or I was easily led at school I could have been a cov fan. Now that is some perspective for you right there. 😂😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Bah humbug. 

I'm enjoying these at these difficult times and love these threads to garner votes. 

We seem to be winning everything and it is bringing back so many great memories and reminding me how lucky I am to support this great club. 

See my previous post re could have been a cov fan. 

Just enjoy it chap

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I voted LCFC but, to be honest, it's a bit depressing to be on that list. 

Agreed, but at least it was our first season back and we've been in the bottom three once beyond October since.

Sunderland had a spell of ten years until their latest relegation and were seriously in trouble in eight seasons. That's depressing.

2 hours ago, martyn said:

I totally disagree with the fairly common narrative that we were unlucky for a lot of that season.

From that 2-2 draw at home to Burnley on 4th October 2014, we played well perhaps a maximum of 5 times between then and the start of the escape 6 months later, and often that was plucky displays against the big boys. When it mattered against the teams around us, we were absolutely honking, a lot of the time.

We were 8 points behind with 9 games to go. It might not be on the level of other teams in the poll, but it should definitely count as a great escape. That we went on an unbelievably good run and ultimately survived comfortably shouldn't detract from that.

I agree wholeheartedly. 

I was at spurs away (4-3 loss and it was too little too late imo) and overheard spurs fans saying we were too good to go down and got chatting with them on the walk to the train station. 

I told them we were not too good to go down and were getting what we deserved for those exact reasons. 

Plucky underdog performances but soft underbelly and didn't do enough to get the results in our bread and butter games. 

History gets rewritten far too easily to suit the narrative. And even more so in our case with what came next. 

I'd we had gone down there would have been no crying that it was unfair from me, and I highly suspect that would have then become the accepted narrative if we had drifted into obscurity like so many before us.