Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
merlin1969

Premier League: Who produced the greatest relegation escape?

Fulham one was crazy. They were 2-0 down away at Man City, a result that would have seen them relegated. They not only turn that game around to give themselves hope, they follow it up by beating their relegation rivals Birmingham, and putting their fate in their own hands. West Brom going down to the last day was amazing too, but the fact Fulham were actually down at one point until they turned that Man City match around probably edges it for me.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

we ended up finishing 14th after being bottom at Christmas.
And then won the league the following year

See, that's my point, how is that really an "escape"? 

A long overdue turn around in form and a proper rocket up the arse of a talented squad that had absolutely pissed the Championship and should never have been struggling in the first place. 

For me, "escape" just throws up a different idea, more the motion of scraping in by the skin of your teeth. 

3 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Unpopular opinion: ours wasn't a great escape. 

Couple of reasons for this, including the fact that we ended up six points clear of danger, had been realistically safe comfortably before the end of the season, were always way to good to actually be down there and eventually the table balanced out and showed that. 

West Brom's was a legitimate escape, they weren't just bottom at Christmas they were bottom an hour or so before the league ended. 

Corky is right, Oldham was even more nuts, what they needed in the last week was insane. We had our feet up cruising by that point. 

This forum's weird obsession with voting for Leicester for everything aside, this shouldn't be us at all. 

I don’t know I feel like how long you spent at the bottom should have some consideration, you could find yourself bottom on the last day despite not being in the relegation zone all season that wouldn’t be all that an impressive “great escape”, when a team looks dead and buried but somehow escape that’s a great escape whether safety’s secured on the last day or not, considering how long we spent down there I think we have legitimate grounds for being the greatest escape.

• Like 1

We were in the bottom 3 or bottom for bloomin' months, the majority of the season, we'd won 4 games. It was a great escape to win 7 of 9 and survive

Had to vote quickly as it's one vote per account/house and as the other half supports Fulham would vote for them.

• Like 2

To all of those fans saying it wasn't a great escape, I think most of us had accepted the likelihood of us going down. We renewed our ST very early that season and I had accepted it was to be watching Championship football the following season, not Championship winning football.

It may not have been as dramatic as some final day seasons, but if we hadn't of got that last minute goal at the Hawthorns, who knows if we'd have even gone on the run we did?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

A long overdue turn around in form and a proper rocket up the arse of a talented squad that had absolutely pissed the Championship and should never have been struggling in the first place. 

For me, "escape" just throws up a different idea, more the motion of scraping in by the skin of your teeth. 

Fair comment. We are just looking at it from different angles. 

I just feel ours is more of an accolade than a team who only managed to stay up because others around them lost. 

A la Tony James 1991, which was my first season. Happy to call that a fluke now - but probably wouldn't have without this 😂

Completely agree with @Finnegan

Ours was a remarkable achievement but hardly an escape. even as early as the Burnley game I thought we would be fine. We got out of the relegation zone with that win and we still had 5 games to go (against Chelsea, Newcastle, Sunderland, Southampton and QPR).

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Unpopular opinion: ours wasn't a great escape. 

Couple of reasons for this, including the fact that we ended up six points clear of danger, had been realistically safe comfortably before the end of the season, were always way to good to actually be down there and eventually the table balanced out and showed that. 

West Brom's was a legitimate escape, they weren't just bottom at Christmas they were bottom an hour or so before the league ended. 

Corky is right, Oldham was even more nuts, what they needed in the last week was insane. We had our feet up cruising by that point. 

This forum's weird obsession with voting for Leicester for everything aside, this shouldn't be us at all. 

If One is going to bias,then be Bias for our own LCFC...!!!    All the way.

We are always playing 2nd fiddle,when it comes to the Media or pundits  opinions Shouting the odds...

We are One of the few forums IMO,that even with Matchday knee-jerk reactions , stay over a weekly/monthly/season somewhat balanced,

between our very own various negative/positive Heaven or hell posters ....

We has a Collective forum,usually when following the clubs trends,periods & poor or Good performances ,

usually after the Light of day ..Project honest up Front opinions.

We have as a majority collective One weakness,we just cant Pick or have an eye for players,or have enough gumption or patience,on giving players/manager space and Time to develope.   We as a Forum  are too quick,to hit the negative critic button,or go into OTT analyse,o n Basic Everyday mistakes...

So when  we create our own history,throw it into the statistical demographical Football mix....then Why Not for once be Loud & over bias.!!!

If One cant sell oneself,Nobody Else will do it for you,especially if recognition has been a lifelong campaign,

where others forget you exsist and cant even Spell your name...

If a side was 8 points adrift with 15/20 games left you'd think they were ****ed. The fact we turned it round in the time we did, with a game to spare... Not sure how that isn't considered an 'escape'. We were gone after the Hull draw.

Sunderland's was pretty nuts though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Completely agree with @Finnegan

Ours was a remarkable achievement but hardly an escape. even as early as the Burnley game I thought we would be fine. We got out of the relegation zone with that win and we still had 5 games to go (against Chelsea, Newcastle, Sunderland, Southampton and QPR).

But we had been losing,nothing pointed to show the most Bias of fan any light of hope...I would go as far as saying,I cant remember One single poster,

declaring there was no chance of us being relegated,ad Safety was a matter of time..

Posters doubting every Single players/team or competence in Spirit & mentality according to the week or Stars in the sky competing with their own frustrations.

I was often questioned with amusement & felt I was alone,in trying to stay positive and push to still follow the optimistic path of possibilities..!!

The Media & history,will write it down has One of the Great "Escapes". So in my Bias View I wont deny or pass up any chance of any positive story  or perspective,that Shows our unfancied Club of nobodies,having the Great achievement in the Highlights of World Sporting history,when coupled with what happened following season..!! 

Keep & collect memories ,take on All plaudits,hard fought for and gratifyingly earnt...!!!

Who cares  whos was the best,being in the Shake up,is whats its All about....

Plus me being a Bias but fair supporter,allowing myself to endulge in our own Dunkirk success...:scarf:...:bounce:

Edited by fuchsntf

Guest ttfn

Best ones for me were:

Fulham in about 2009 - About 3 games before the end of the season they were 2-0 down at (pre-oil) Man City and getting relegated that day. Came back and won 3-2, stayed up, got into Europe through fair play or something and went on to the UEFA Cup final the next year.

Sunderland in about 2014 - the one where Connor Whickham channelled his inner Ronaldo and fired them to safety. Won away at Man City and Chelsea in the run in to stay up.

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

But it is asking for the greatest escape, not the most dramatic. What's great about staving off relegation for another year of being in a relegation battle? What's great about papering over the cracks for another miserable season at the foot of the table?

What is great is being bottom for half the season miles adrift with 9 games to go in our first season in the PL and for many of our players it was their first season in an unforgiving league. Turning it around to be the form team in Europe to finish 14th carry that form into the next season and smash the league, follow it up with a Champions League quarter final.

That's pretty fvcking great, and yes it was an escape as most clubs don't survive being bottom at Christmas most clubs can't put in a run of 2 wins in 24 including a 13 game streak without a win and survive.

Well done Oldham, but what did it get them, well done Fulham for one day, well done Portsmouth, Wigan, Sunderland, West Brom eeking out another pay day but where did it get them. We built a legacy on our escape for everyone else it was just a stay of execution.

Edited by Captain...
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Captain... said:

But it is asking for the greatest escape, not the most dramatic. What's great about staving off relegation for another year of being in a relegation battle? What's great about papering over the cracks for another miserable season at the foot of the table?

What is great is being bottom for half the season miles adrift with 9 games to go in our first season in the PL and for many of our players it was their first season in an unforgiving league. Turning it around to be the form team in Europe to finish 14th carry that form into the next season and smash the league, follow it up with a Champions League quarter final.

That's pretty fvcking great, and yes it was an escape as most clubs don't survive being bottom at Christmas most clubs can't put in a run of 2 wins in 24 including a 13 game streak without a win and survive.

Well done Oldham, but what did it get them, well done Fulham for one day, well done Portsmouth, Wigan, Sunderland, West Brom eeking out another pay day but where did it get them. We built a legacy on our escape for everyone else it was just a stay of execution.

Fulham had a couple good years under Hodgson after he kept them up, went on to play in Europa League Final. Wigan and Portsmouth both stayed in the league for years and both ended up winning the FA Cup. 

Nobody else is gonna be bottom then win the PL the following season so it's hard to use us as the example and write everybody else off.

1 hour ago, Fox92 said:

Fulham had a couple good years under Hodgson after he kept them up, went on to play in Europa League Final. Wigan and Portsmouth both stayed in the league for years and both ended up winning the FA Cup. 

Nobody else is gonna be bottom then win the PL the following season so it's hard to use us as the example and write everybody else off.

They were all relegated within 5 years, I am still jealous of their FA Cups, but Portsmouth built on their great escape by pretty much going bankrupt, Wigan were relegated the following season the same season as winning the FA Cup. 

Nobody else is going to be bottom then win the league that is why ours is the greatest escape.

Edited by Captain...

• 4 weeks later...