Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

This is the kind of thing that leads credence to the "defund the police" movement. Not every emergency requires a police officer with a gun to solve. This situation in particular would be handled better by a social worker with experience dealing with autism. Unfortunately, when you call 911, dispatch is going to bring the police into most situations. When all you are equipped with is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Either the solution is to put 3-4x as much money and training into the police so that they can solve every problem, or re-route some of the money we invest in the police to have specialized help for different situations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

This is the kind of thing that leads credence to the "defund the police" movement. Not every emergency requires a police officer with a gun to solve. This situation in particular would be handled better by a social worker with experience dealing with autism. Unfortunately, when you call 911, dispatch is going to bring the police into most situations. When all you are equipped with is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Either the solution is to put 3-4x as much money and training into the police so that they can solve every problem, or re-route some of the money we invest in the police to have specialized help for different situations. 

America's biggest problem and the root of most other issues IMO. And it will never get fixed.

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I've always been an optimist in terms of what I think humanity is capable of and what can be done (talking a million year, thousand light year civilisation here), it's just that it's difficult to get there and there's so much that can go wrong.

I think that the Dems winning and having a person in charge who comes vaguely close to treating climate change with the seriousness it deserves will be "getting better" by itself in my book, but of course ones mileage may vary.

I'm not at all sure about the first sentence, not looking at the current numbers.

I am, however, in total, rather terrified agreement with the second. It will not be pretty.

The numbers looked great for Hillary in 2016. Everyone thought it was a sure thing. Same with Brexit. I feel the same now as I did for both of them - I think the left have ****ed it up again. 

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

The numbers looked great for Hillary in 2016. Everyone thought it was a sure thing. Same with Brexit. I feel the same now as I did for both of them - I think the left have ****ed it up again. 

Yes, they did, but 2020 is not the same as 2016 politically for manifold different solid reasons, many of which have already been stated on this thread and don't really need to be repeated right here.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I can't say that I can go to that level of cynicism personally, but I do understand.

Roll on November - either the man is out on his ear and things get better, or he's not and things get so bad that there is a massive flashpoint and things become real clear - either for better or worse - afterwards.

Multi national conflict (military or otherwise) with Russia, China, NK. Or internal interracial conflict akin to civil war. Those guys have serious armaments and I bet the weapons you see on their person aren't all they have. The militia groups on both sides must have access to RPG's, rocket launchers and God only knows what else.

6 hours ago, Parafox said:

Multi national conflict (military or otherwise) with Russia, China, NK. Or internal interracial conflict akin to civil war. Those guys have serious armaments and I bet the weapons you see on their person aren't all they have. The militia groups on both sides must have access to RPG's, rocket launchers and God only knows what else.

I think the latter a fair bit more likely than the former there - but horrible either way.

And in todays news, downplaying the effects of Covid that have left almost 200,000 people dead for the sake of political capital:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54094559

....and downplaying electoral interference reports because they might make the President look bad:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54096520

Are there really going to be many floating voters come November if stuff like this keeps coming out? There's nothing here but polarisation.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I dunno, they're made of stern stuff, these East European types.  Maybe it wasn't even that big a deal

This is the problem with absinthe, couple of shots, circular saw on the kitchen table and before you know it, things start to get out of hand.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Wonder who they'll get to replace her. 

Hope it's still someone sports-related or has played sport before. 

Barker, Tufnell and Dawson all going together.

in the current climate an all white cast was never going to last on a BBC programme. Surprised it hadn’t been changed earlier.

7 hours ago, Strokes said:

Two year in prison seems harsh to me, I get it’s fraud but overall I’d say the scam was pretty armless.

Very humerus, I'm sure.

But you've gone out on a limb there.

I'm giving you the cold shoulder for that one......and the elbow.......and the finger.

In fact, I'm thumbing my nose at you.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Wonder who they'll get to replace her. 

Hope it's still someone sports-related or has played sport before. 

Don't know why, but wouldn't be surprised if the TV show team approach Jeff Stelling.