Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54214729

Well...damn. Ruth Bader Ginsburg died.

As if this year hadn't been bad enough and the stakes for this election weren't high enough already.

More on the above:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517178-mcconnell-says-trump-nominee-to-replace-ginsburg-will-get-senate-vote

The hypocrisy is appalling, but not really surprising - it's all about power, after all.

43 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

More on the above:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/517178-mcconnell-says-trump-nominee-to-replace-ginsburg-will-get-senate-vote

The hypocrisy is appalling, but not really surprising - it's all about power, after all.

Not really surprised by chubby fat neck cvnt McConnell.  Suprised they havent convened a session to vote on a justice  before she's gone cold and had an autopsy. Come on mitch, its been 2 hours you're slackin mate.

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Not really surprised by chubby fat neck cvnt McConnell.  Suprised they havent convened a session to vote on a justice  before she's gone cold and had an autopsy. Come on mitch, its been 2 hours you're slackin mate.

To be fair I have to admit a certain grudging admiration for McConnell and company for being able to game the system as well as they do. The long game was always to stack the Supreme Court whenever they had the chance, and thanks to careful planning and a little luck, they've pretty much achieved that, barring some kind of miracle between now and January.

7 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Am i correct in understanding that there is no limit to the number of Supreme Court Justices that can be appointed?

If so, wouldn't a future president (with congress) be able to add several more?

Yep, and that's being talked about as a retaliatory step already.

Republicans appoint their choice to the SC before the election, and then if the Dems win the Presidency and Senate, they put through legislation expanding the SC to 13 members and appointing four more.

• Like 1

Sad news about RBG.  What a life, though. :appl:

It shows you who McConnell is that he immediately and in the same communication as his condolences, published a proposal to nominate.

And some of those replying to his Tweet about RBG, calling her a "babykiller" who will face "The Lord's justice" , showed who they are, too.

Even before RBG died I was fairly sure that Trump would dispute any election result and there would be violence and he would stamp on protests in the manner of his dry runs this summer.

Now, with either 4-4 or a hastily appointed conservative in the SCOTUS, it appears to me to be even more likely that there will be a disputed election, chaos and trouble.

14 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

Sad news about RBG.  What a life, though. :appl:

It shows you who McConnell is that he immediately and in the same communication as his condolences, published a proposal to nominate.

And some of those replying to his Tweet about RBG, calling her a "babykiller" who will face "The Lord's justice" , showed who they are, too.

Even before RBG died I was fairly sure that Trump would dispute any election result and there would be violence and he would stamp on protests in the manner of his dry runs this summer.

Now, with either 4-4 or a hastily appointed conservative in the SCOTUS, it appears to me to be even more likely that there will be a disputed election, chaos and trouble.

I’m not that clued up on this system but even if Biden wins, Trump could claim a disputed election and then the court could decide trump wins? Purely because there’s more GOP than Democrat judges? 

8 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I’m not that clued up on this system but even if Biden wins, Trump could claim a disputed election and then the court could decide trump wins? Purely because there’s more GOP than Democrat judges? 

That is one of many possibilities, yes. That particular one I can't see ending any way other than badly.

50 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That is one of many possibilities, yes. That particular one I can't see ending any way other than badly.

It could get messy. 

Trump going all Dictatorship wouldn’t surprise me though.

He's already undermined the election with baseless accusations of mass illegal voting and he tweeted earlier this week "RIGGED election in waiting".  He has repeatedly suggested the election will have been rigged if he doesn't win.

And that's before you get to voter suppression, the shenanigans at the USPS and the stuffing of the courts during his term.

Then when protests about this occur, the Bikers for Trump, Proud Boys and Boogaloo Boys etc will join his unmarked federal militarised agents to put down "disorder" in "lawless Democrat cities".

Bingo, autocracy. 

You can see it all coming a mile off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54214729

Well...damn. Ruth Bader Ginsburg died.

As if this year hadn't been bad enough and the stakes for this election weren't high enough already.

"My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed" Ruth Bader Ginsberg (July 2020)

2 hours ago, Vacamion said:

He's already undermined the election with baseless accusations of mass illegal voting and he tweeted earlier this week "RIGGED election in waiting".  He has repeatedly suggested the election will have been rigged if he doesn't win.

And that's before you get to voter suppression, the shenanigans at the USPS and the stuffing of the courts during his term.

Then when protests about this occur, the Bikers for Trump, Proud Boys and Boogaloo Boys etc will join his unmarked federal militarised agents to put down "disorder" in "lawless Democrat cities".

Bingo, autocracy. 

There's no subtlety to it at all, if Trump wins in November we're in for worrying times. Even if he doesn't the damage that's been done to American society will pervade for years to come.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vacamion said:

Bingo, autocracy. 

Personally,  i think the US military wont let that happen. I believe they would step in and i think they dont like Trump  based on the way he has treated their leadership.  If things were to go that route  guarantee the US army or some agency would do him in. The state of the union would be at risk and you cant let that go if you want America to remain.

6 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Genuine question but why did she not retire when Obama was President? 

Because she felt she could still do her job and it was her decision to make.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20.

Just now, The Horse's Mouth said:

He'll win anyway, the DNC really didn't learn by selecting a candidate worse than Hillary 

In defiance of almost all polling data that has learned from the mistakes it made in 2016, evidently.

Is it the "debate bounce" or the "shy conservatives" that will swing it this time round despite being thoroughly accounted for, I wonder?

(Apologies if this weighs heavily on the snark but this point has come up again and again on this thread with zero justification outside hunches.)

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

In defiance of almost all polling data that has learned from the mistakes it made in 2016, evidently.

Is it the "debate bounce" or the "shy conservatives" that will swing it this time round despite being thoroughly accounted for, I wonder?

(Apologies if this weighs heavily on the snark but this point has come up again and again on this thread with zero justification outside hunches.)

What are we basing that the polling data has evidently learnt from its mistakes after giving Hilary a 99% chance of winning the last election? The majority of trumps base is still there and arent going to change their mind, voter turnout will be a huge factor because I can see more Bernie bros voting after last time but even looking at the swing state data there really isnt that much in it. Biden will probably get the better vote share again but I think Trump will secure the swing states, but I will admit the whole covid epidemic has certainly stopped this from being such a sure thing.  Both are horrendous candidates anyway 

Also,  the debates and the FBI leaks were huge in swaying the favour for trump in the end,I think in a debate format he would destroy Biden(if they happen that is, Dems need to make sure they dont for their chances), it's a prediction anyway I'm not telling you how it will go no need to get so sensitive 

4 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

What are we basing that the polling data has evidently learnt from its mistakes after giving Hilary a 99% chance of winning the last election? The majority of trumps base is still there and arent going to change their mind, voter turnout will be a huge factor because I can see more Bernie bros voting after last time but even looking at the swing state data there really isnt that much in it. Biden will probably get the better vote share again but I think Trump will secure the swing states, but I will admit the whole covid epidemic has certainly stopped this from being such a sure thing.  Both are horrendous candidates anyway 

Also,  the debates and the FBI leaks were huge in swaying the favour for trump in the end,I think in a debate format he would destroy Biden(if they happen that is, Dems need to make sure they dont for their chances), it's a prediction anyway I'm not telling you how it will go no need to get so sensitive 

That the polling agencies are now accounting for a demographic that they overlooked in 2016 (white young to middle age working-class men) that voted for Trump in large numbers, among other things. There's a good summary of it here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-fivethirtyeights-2020-presidential-forecast-works-and-whats-different-because-of-covid-19/

Incidentally, I can't speak for other places but 538 always had Trump at around 20% even on election night - he was never 1%.

Turnout is going to be a big factor, to be sure - and todays news may well galvanise both sides there for different reasons. Trump will absolutely keep his base, but the reason he won in 2016 was because too many Dem voters stayed at home in critical areas - the suggestion is that won't be the case this time. Of course, there's still a month and a half to go, so a lot can happen.

Again, apologies if I was too confrontational - there's just too much unsubstantiated stuff being thrown around right now without qualifiers to say it's unsubstantiated, and that goes for more than this election tbh.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

That the polling agencies are now accounting for a demographic that they overlooked in 2016 (white young to middle age working-class men) that voted for Trump in large numbers, among other things. There's a good summary of it here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-fivethirtyeights-2020-presidential-forecast-works-and-whats-different-because-of-covid-19/

Incidentally, I can't speak for other places but 538 always had Trump at around 20% even on election night - he was never 1%.

Turnout is going to be a big factor, to be sure - and todays news may well galvanise both sides there for different reasons. Trump will absolutely keep his base, but the reason he won in 2016 was because too many Dem voters stayed at home in critical areas - the suggestion is that won't be the case this time. Of course, there's still a month and a half to go, so a lot can happen.

Again, apologies if I was too confrontational - there's just too much unsubstantiated stuff being thrown around right now without qualifiers to say it's unsubstantiated, and that goes for more than this election tbh.

There was that predictor that pegged it 99% Clinton after getting 49 out of 50 states right in 2012, I think the big thing Biden has going for him is that hes probably picked the right VP too, Kane was probably the biggest downfall of the clinton ticket and a black VP will do well with the minority vote which they severely underperformed at, even with Biden trying to alienate most of them. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

There was that predictor that pegged it 99% Clinton after getting 49 out of 50 states right in 2012, I think the big thing Biden has going for him is that hes probably picked the right VP too, Kane was probably the biggest downfall of the clinton ticket and a black VP will do well with the minority vote which they severely underperformed at, even with Biden trying to alienate most of them. 

Biden being Obama's VP himself is still a factor when it comes to the minority vote too, I reckon.

Honestly though, the way I see it playing out there could well be blood on the floor no matter who wins.