Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

Having thought about this a bit, what's been going on stateside for the last few years is a model lesson in the rules of partisan conflict and escalation.

There's a reason there are "rules" in war, for instance, because when there isn't, or when one side flouts them so much the other side finally gives in too...then all you need is one small violation resulting in civilian deaths and it quickly escalates into massive humanitarian atrocity as both sides go tit for tat.

That's sort of what is happening in the three areas of government in the US right now, things are confrontational, the rules (written and unwritten) of honourable governance that have held for a long time are being ignored or subverted, and so what you're going to get is simple conflict escalation that could well end very badly.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

QPR/Les Ferdinand statement on not "taking the knee":

It's diluted, it means nothing now. The first weekend was hugely powerful because it was so different and made a real statement. The only reason it's still going on is because the premier league cares so much about it's image that it's terrified of being abused by the huge collection of morons on social media.

Fair play to QPR.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

It's diluted, it means nothing now. The first weekend was hugely powerful because it was so different and made a real statement. The only reason it's still going on is because the premier league cares so much about it's image that it's terrified of being abused by the huge collection of morons on social media.

Fair play to QPR.

Worse than diluted IMO.  The BLM organisation (rather than the message) has been shown to be a anti-capitalist marxist group with objectives sod all to do with racism.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2020 at 13:35, Cujek said:

The left are supposed to be Liberal, yet spew some of the most vile hatred that you can see anywhere. 

You also can't debate with the left cos they are always correct no matter what. 

The right = think the left are wrong in their views

The left = think the right are pure evil and should be burned at the stake

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

Worse than diluted IMO.  The BLM organisation (rather than the message) has been shown to be a anti-capitalist marxist group with objectives sod all to do with racism.

3 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I am stunned it's carried on after those tweets from their leader surfaced. 

Ok, but when you see giant posters in the stands with the slogan on it they have nothing to do with a fringe political group in the USA.  If you're holding up a bunch of unreasonable demands as an excuse to not address the vast majority of people's reasonable concerns then you're not seriously engaging with the subject.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The right = think the left are wrong in their views

The left = think the right are pure evil and should be burned at the stake

As a leftist, I think you are wrong in the right-wing view you express there. :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ok, but when you see giant posters in the stands with the slogan on it they have nothing to do with a fringe political group in the USA.  If you're holding up a bunch of unreasonable demands as an excuse to not address the vast majority of people's reasonable concerns then you're not seriously engaging with the subject.

That, of course, being the point, because for some the status quo is totally fine, for various reasons.

The comparison to Clap for Carers is on the money. It's become a bit of a platitude. 

When Kaepernick started taking a knee during the national anthem, it actually meant something. The statement caused waves because they're so patriotic over there and it was a protest at how disenfranchised he became at his country. Delaying a Premier League match for 2 seconds means **** all.

5 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

The comparison to Clap for Carers is on the money. It's become a bit of a platitude. 

When Kaepernick started taking a knee during the national anthem, it actually meant something. The statement caused waves because they're so patriotic over there and it was a protest at how disenfranchised he became at his country. Delaying a Premier League match for 2 seconds means **** all.

Not if People become so bored,that others have to Keep revisiting the problem,und Keep posting..Then it proves its sticking.

No Action from the populace,Nor the politicians,Nor the Government,nor organisations,nor Businesses,then it Proves Black-lives Really Dont matter..!!

Then see the shit hit the fan...!!

Taking the knee,is trying to prevent it going on for Another 400 years..!!

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Blm uk as well, not just the US.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54229799

Which one will be chosen at the end of this week, I wonder? And will two more Repubs join Murkowski and Collins (if they keep their own word) to block it?

If it's Barrett and the end result is Roe v Wade being challenged, I can only see escalation as a result because that won't be taken lying down.

34 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Who?  What are their mission statements?

He's talking about the nonsense the ukblm twitter account was spewing at the height of the protests. They were pretty much momentum extremists in BLM hash tags. 

Trouble is they did more damage to BLM and the genuine issues it raised and it has given an easy out to people uncomfortable talking about racism. 

28 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

He's talking about the nonsense the ukblm twitter account was spewing at the height of the protests. They were pretty much momentum extremists in BLM hash tags. 

Trouble is they did more damage to BLM and the genuine issues it raised and it has given an easy out to people uncomfortable talking about racism. 

Again though, I just really struggle to understand the mentality that anybody who truly believes in social justice and equality would decide they're actually against the BLM idea because of a politically charged twitter account they disagree with...  I disagree with a boatload of the stuff coming out of the XR crowd, does that mean I should stop supporting the idea we need to come together as a species to counter climate change?  Poppycock.

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Again though, I just really struggle to understand the mentality that anybody who truly believes in social justice and equality would decide they're actually against the BLM idea because of a politically charged twitter account they disagree with...  I disagree with a boatload of the stuff coming out of the XR crowd, does that mean I should stop supporting the idea we need to come together as a species to counter climate change?  Poppycock.

Course not. And the crap ukblm posted shouldn't derail the original BLM ideals. But unfortunately not everyone is made of the same constitution as you. Just got to hope that when the dust settles the shite hasn't floated and we can get back to focusing on improving the things we're getting wrong. 

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Err no, but you don;t need to keep up the virtue signalling crap BLM organisation are pushing.  And defind the police etc.  

UK BLM are still sharing this they sent a tweet on Monday.   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

There are plenty of other sensible environmental organisations who don't come out with the nonsense XR do.  Support them instead.