Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

Just now, Buce said:

Since 70% of violent crime, including rape and murder, is committed while under the influence of alcohol, one could argue the country is already in a sorry state thanks to it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, MPH said:

AI emotion-detection software tested on Uyghurs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57101248

people should read this whole article.  

I don’t know why more people are not outraged by this.

I think the main problem here isn’t outrage, or lack thereof. The main problem to me is that I have no idea what can actually be done about it. From the outside, it’s not our country. What do we do? Impose sanctions? Not trade with China? There’s zero chance of any sort of military solution. And from the inside, how can you possibly stage an insurrection in those conditions? (Which is, of course, the point.)

21 minutes ago, Buce said:

Since 70% of violent crime, including rape and murder, is committed while under the influence of alcohol, one could argue the country is already in a sorry state thanks to it.

Out of curiosity, what's the source of that stat?

To be clear, I'm not disputing your central point that alcohol plays a major part in violent crime. I know that's true.

But precisely where does that 70% figure come from - and what does it relate to? It wouldn't surprise me if the figure were even higher for violent crime of the assault/affray/GBH type and for domestic violence.

But it would surprise me if alcohol was involved in 70% of murders or rapes - though I know it will be involved in a significant number....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

The gop literally just want to see people gunning each other down in the street, it couldn't be more obvious.

And the gop in Florida literally just want more theme parks.  Tech companies can do what they like as long as they invest in sick rides for Floridians.

That's a defence in your opinion?  You just described me as a child, it went away by growing up, alcohol is no excuse.

No, some people don't grow up.

1 minute ago, Dunge said:

I think the main problem here isn’t outrage, or lack thereof. The main problem to me is that I have no idea what can actually be done about it. From the outside, it’s not our country. What do we do? Impose sanctions? Not trade with China? There’s zero chance of any sort of military solution. And from the inside, how can you possibly stage an insurrection in those conditions? (Which is, of course, the point.)

well a lot of people seem outraged with what goes on in the US even though it’s not their country but I see what you are saying.. there’s more chance of genuine democracy and change in the US and the US government is somewhat more approachable in comparison to the Chinese.

but if anyone has the time to read up on what is happening to the Urghurs at the hands of the Chinese it’s somewhat akin in to how the Nazis treated the Jews.

9 minutes ago, MPH said:

well a lot of people seem outraged with what goes on in the US even though it’s not their country but I see what you are saying.. there’s more chance of genuine democracy and change in the US and the US government is somewhat more approachable in comparison to the Chinese.

but if anyone has the time to read up on what is happening to the Urghurs at the hands of the Chinese it’s somewhat akin in to how the Nazis treated the Jews.

I think that has a lot to do with the PR idea the US often floats that they are these paragons of exceptionalism. Can't be a "good guy" and do "bad guy" things otherwise people do get outraged, whereas the Chinese don't tend to bother much with the "good guy" appearance - not in the Anglosphere, anyway.

57 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

To be clear, I'm not disputing your central point that alcohol plays a major part in violent crime. I know that's true.

But precisely where does that 70% figure come from - and what does it relate to? It wouldn't surprise me if the figure were even higher for violent crime of the assault/affray/GBH type and for domestic violence.

But it would surprise me if alcohol was involved in 70% of murders or rapes - though I know it will be involved in a significant number....

I don't recall where I saw it, Alf, and I'm too busy to look atm.

I'll try and make time later.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I had a quick look and found this (though I don't know if this is where I saw it originally).

image.png.720fa3edaf4d516a95da5ca857da14a2.png

https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/factsheet-alcoholcrime.pdf

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

I had a quick look and found this (though I don't know if this is where I saw it originally).

image.png.720fa3edaf4d516a95da5ca857da14a2.png

https://www.civitas.org.uk/content/files/factsheet-alcoholcrime.pdf

Thanks.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me if alcohol was a factor in 70% of all violent crime lumped together.

Not least as there are a lot more Saturday night assaults around pubs and clubs than there are murders or rapes.

1 in 3 sexual offences sounds unsurprising, though.

Thinking about it, I'd guess that alcohol contributes to more sex offences than murders.

I'm just thinking of the different causes of murder, several of which are unlikely to involve alcohol: gang feuds, drug crime disputes, terrorism, personal grudges etc. Though doubtless alcohol is also a factor in some murders.

On 26/05/2021 at 15:48, MPH said:

Apart from the bit where they herd millions into gas chambers and starve the ones lucky enough not to be murdered on arrival to death .....

I would think that the Russians have ‘ethnically cleansed’ some fairly vast areas in the 20th century  and that would be a better analogy.  Stalin was particularly proficient in this. 

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apart from the bit where they herd millions into gas chambers and starve the ones lucky enough not to be murdered on arrival to death .....

I would think that the Russians have ‘ethnically cleansed’ some fairly vast areas in the 20th century  and that would be a better analogy.  Stalin was particularly proficient in this. 

Well I did use the phrase ‘ somewhat akin’ not identical.  But what’s going on isn’t ethnically cleansing either

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thank you for reminding me that this happened.

Still disappointed in Wrighty for apologising after this. This kind of stuff needs highlighting and mocking, and he just backed down because a bit of grief off his precious Arsenal fans. Have some balls Wrighty.

Edited by Facecloth
  • Like 1

superb lol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-57287764

One man in his time really does play many parts, it seems, according to an Argentine newsreader who mixed up the author William Shakespeare with the first man to receive a Pfizer jab.

Canal 26 presenter Noelia Novillo announced that "one of the most important writers in the English language - for me the master" had died.

In fact it was his namesake, William "Bill" Shakespeare, 81, who died in a hospital in England earlier this week.

Shakespeare "The Bard" died in 1616.

However, that was news to Novillo who told her audience on Thursday: "We've got news that has stunned all of us given the greatness of this man. We're talking about William Shakespeare and his death. We'll let you know how and why it happened."

With social media proving that all the world is now truly a stage, commentators feasted on the presenter's gaffe.

"The Montagues and the Capulets went to the wake," one wag wrote on Twitter.

"The UK took more than four centuries to warn of the virus. On top of that, they blame China," wrote another.

Bill Shakespeare, a former Rolls Royce worker and parish councillor, received his first jab in December becoming the first man, and the second person, to receive the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

He died on Thursday from an unrelated illness, University Hospitals Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust said.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Facecloth said:

Still disappointed in Wrighty for apologising after this. This kind of stuff needs highlighting and mocking, and he just backed down because a bit of grief off his precious Arsenal fans. Have some balls Wrighty.

They’re a sensitive bunch, especially now they know everything’s gone wrong for them.