Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

33 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Asking not to be persecuted and to receive equal treatment and rights doesn't constitute entitlement imo

But don't tell some of these right-leaning people that they deserve equal treatment and no persecution wherever they go. They don't like the fact that, they don't like it at all.

But yeah white lives matter and critical race theory and oppression against ME and all that bananas talk.

I'd have more respect for the right-leaning people who just go "yeah, GB News is a channel devoted to being a right wing echo chamber of anti-woke (anyone defined that yet?) nonsense to appease and further embolden the intolerant.

If a left-wing version started up, it would get exactly the same reaction. It's utter nonsense to think that TV news channels that don't agree with your world view are "biased" so you go and set up your own which is, ironically, hella biased!

• Like 1

Guest Cujek
46 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Asking not to be persecuted and to receive equal treatment and rights doesn't constitute entitlement imo

There is always bloody victims, just live your life.

35 minutes ago, Cujek said:

There is always bloody victims, just live your life.

Wrote this elsewhere, think it applies here.

"71 countries still criminalise LGBT relationships. 11 of them carry a potential death penalty for it. And that's just the criminally institutionalised discrimination, the everyday civil discrimination where LGBT folks have trouble obtaining healthcare, housing and work without being discriminated against is much more prevalent in many more places. Hell, the "gay panic" defence is still a viable defence for killing someone in some places.

Progress is being made compared even to a decade or two ago, but there's still a way to go and yes, the discrimination is still rife even if a lot of folks either can't see it or pretend not to."

Is the argument being made here that such discrimination is simply a part of life and folks should just roll with it rather than being "victims"?

That, with all due respect, sounds incredibly self interested and callous.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-500-e-scooters-seized-in-just-one-week-as-police-launch-crackdown-12341135

Seen more and more of these shite things zipping around Leicester. About time our coppers got on top of it too. 

Great, hope there is a nationwide crackdown and see more of these idiots have their scooters taken off them. Can't seem to walk anywhere at the moment without having to mind out for them flying towards you on the pavement

I can understand the appeal of them for children, but when you see adults riding them - don't they feel just a bit embarrassed?

4 hours ago, Cujek said:

Ah right so it's only tolerance and acceptance, when it's on your terms.

You will find most people on the right or centrist right, don't care who you put your willy in, or what colour your skin is, as long as you pull your weight and dont start acting entitled, expecting people to fit in with your world view.

Can you give any examples of hate speech on gbnews? The few bits I have seen have been fairly well balanced, even interviewing labour politicians in a fair manner.

It's only tolerance and acceptance when it's tolerance and acceptance.  You can call your dog a duck if you like but you'll still get weird looks and nice people correcting you.

There will always be bias in news networks. If you're interested in news without an agenda, the best thing to do is either watch both sides and make your own opinion, or download an app like ground news, which lets you see how different political leaning news sites reported on a story. 

Tbh news networks that lean so hard to one side just make me cringe with how obvious it is, and I think everyone should make an effort to not just blindly follow one source.

Edited by LCFCCHRIS
  • Like 3

On 25/06/2021 at 11:15, Innovindil said:

https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-500-e-scooters-seized-in-just-one-week-as-police-launch-crackdown-12341135

Seen more and more of these shite things zipping around Leicester. About time our coppers got on top of it too. 

Thing is, eventually something like this is going to take over as personal urban transport, so wouldn’t it be an idea to sort out the rules of using them sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Thing is, eventually something like this is going to take over as personal urban transport, so wouldn’t it be an idea to sort out the rules of using them sooner rather than later.

The rules of using them are sorted out, privately owned e-scooters are illegal to use on public roads and pathways. :S

10 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

The rules of using them are sorted out, privately owned e-scooters are illegal to use on public roads and pathways. :S

For the time being, certainly.

If I might ask, is it the danger factor for pedestrians that puts you off these?

Just now, leicsmac said:

For the time being, certainly.

If I might ask, is it the danger factor for pedestrians that puts you off these?

It's the brain dead donkey that swerved one in front of my car that puts me off these tbh. 

I think the same of these things as electric powered bikes, if they want access to roads they should have to go through the same hoops as car owners, including having to pass a theory test. How we allow people to use the roads without checking they have the knowledge to use them is beyond me. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

It's the brain dead donkey that swerved one in front of my car that puts me off these tbh. 

I think the same of these things as electric powered bikes, if they want access to roads they should have to go through the same hoops as car owners, including having to pass a theory test. How we allow people to use the roads without checking they have the knowledge to use them is beyond me. 

You'd better get used to it, as i see it, the combustion engine will be banned in towns and cities within the next 10 years. It's 2030 that they reckon they'll be no new cars sold with petrol or diesel engines, whether that happens or not is a different argument. That  probably means that the government will shove the taxes right up on fuel a couple of years before to try to force people into looking at alternatives. We're looking at 8 years away, so if you're buying a new car now over 4 years, it's probably going to be worthless in 4 years time as there won't be any re-sale value,  the next buyer down the chain isn't  going to be buying something that will definitely be worthless at the end of his term.

40 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I expect there’s going to be legislative crackdown at some point. You’ve got the electric-powered bicycles, and you’ve got electric motorcycles. Fundamentally, they’re the same thing, except the latter requires a full motorcycle licence and the former requires nothing. 

52 minutes ago, Magictv said:

Why are rented ones of these deemed ok but privately owned not?

Iirc the e-scooters that are rented out are part of a trial, they also have vehicle insurance through the rental company. Privately owned are not insured. Think there was also something about needing a driving licence to rent them, can't remember. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

You'd better get used to it, as i see it, the combustion engine will be banned in towns and cities within the next 10 years. It's 2030 that they reckon they'll be no new cars sold with petrol or diesel engines, whether that happens or not is a different argument. That  probably means that the government will shove the taxes right up on fuel a couple of years before to try to force people into looking at alternatives. We're looking at 8 years away, so if you're buying a new car now over 4 years, it's probably going to be worthless in 4 years time as there won't be any re-sale value,  the next buyer down the chain isn't  going to be buying something that will definitely be worthless at the end of his term.

I will get used to it, when the people operating them are held to the same standards as other road users. Not some teenaged donkey riding around unchecked when the biggest "vehicle" they've operated is a Tesco trolley. 

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Yeah, no disagreement there.

I'd like to see them out there, but that should be coupled with people learning to use them safely and responsibly.