Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57922664

Remember, specifically crafted pieces of software don't spy on innocent people, *people* spy on innocent people. Amirite?

Nokia 3310's are looking more appealing all the time. £60,  week long battery life, no more of this social media racism, no pingdemics and no-one from the  government spying on you, 

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Nokia 3310's are looking more appealing all the time. £60,  week long battery life, no more of this social media racism, no pingdemics and no-one from the  government spying on you, 

I can certainly see the appeal of being more "off grid" when you read stuff like this.

Unfortunately from what I can tell, that tends to just leave one at the mercy of other factors - often nature, which can often be brutal in a way humans can only look at with envy.

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

100k to a Syrian refugee. Must be gut-wrenching for him lol

Nah, it'll just feed into his victim complex, and his acolytes will pay the money.

53 minutes ago, Buce said:

Nah, it'll just feed into his victim complex, and his acolytes will pay the money.

There's some cvnt round the corner from my sister's in Sileby with a #freetommyrobinson sticker across the middle of a Union Jack. Haven't the heart to tell them the flag is upside down which means they're in peril

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

BBC News - Lockdown weight gain averaging half a stone - survey

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57968651

Per lockdown?

More than 40% of adults in England have gained weight during the pandemic, a survey suggests, with the average gain being half a stone (just over 3kg).

Anyone else find it odd that they haven't mentioned the other 60%? Did they stay the same? Lose weight?

Obviously can't speak for the 60%, but since I was furloughed for months my eating habits got better as I learned to cook different things. :dunno:

5 hours ago, Innovindil said:

More than 40% of adults in England have gained weight during the pandemic, a survey suggests, with the average gain being half a stone (just over 3kg).

Anyone else find it odd that they haven't mentioned the other 60%? Did they stay the same? Lose weight?

Obviously can't speak for the 60%, but since I was furloughed for months my eating habits got better as I learned to cook different things. :dunno:

If just over 3Kg is half a stone then we are fvcked:cool:

On 08/07/2021 at 08:12, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57746626

And just like that, every man and woman in the UK was worth a whole lot more to employers. Hopefully enough to get wages back on the rise, and employers unable to continue treating workers like cvnts. :D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58014256

Actually includes some figures today. 14% for ALL jobs under £25k. Temporary perhaps, but incredible nonetheless.

James Reed, chairman of Reed, one of the UK's biggest recruitment sites, told Radio 4's PM programme that pay for jobs in hospitality and catering had gone up 18% on the jobs advertised on their sites, and 14% for all jobs paying £25,000 or less.

No wonder people have suggested that in a post-Brexit, post-Covid world, worker power is back.

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58014256

Actually includes some figures today. 14% for ALL jobs under £25k. Temporary perhaps, but incredible nonetheless.

James Reed, chairman of Reed, one of the UK's biggest recruitment sites, told Radio 4's PM programme that pay for jobs in hospitality and catering had gone up 18% on the jobs advertised on their sites, and 14% for all jobs paying £25,000 or less.

No wonder people have suggested that in a post-Brexit, post-Covid world, worker power is back.

Presumably a lot of Eastern European workers have gone back to e Europe during the pandemic.  the question here is whether they will be allowed back in - did they do their brexit paperwork whilst they lived here ?  If the majority did then I expect things will gradually return back to where they were over time as many of these people will come back to work here.  The point about brexit is that those who were here before and qualify to come back are the pool of ‘cheap Labour’. New ones can’t come in to work here…..so over time, I guess as these people grow older, there will be a dearth of younger ones and wages will indeed be inflated as a result. 

6 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Presumably a lot of Eastern European workers have gone back to e Europe during the pandemic.  the question here is whether they will be allowed back in - did they do their brexit paperwork whilst they lived here ?  If the majority did then I expect things will gradually return back to where they were over time as many of these people will come back to work here.  The point about brexit is that those who were here before and qualify to come back are the pool of ‘cheap Labour’. New ones can’t come in to work here…..so over time, I guess as these people grow older, there will be a dearth of younger ones and wages will indeed be inflated as a result. 

Pretty much why I said temporary perhaps, no one really knows how many will return and I only have 1 anecdotal person to go on. We had a Polish miller who left at the start of the pandemic and he's returning in august hopefully. Guess it will come down to just how far the government will go to help support the big wigs at the top to secure cheap labour. At a minimum though, it should give the people at the top a new appreciation for how vulnerable their profits are if they continue to base their businesses around imported labour.

• Like 1